Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
taking photos when youve got no friends.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

joemor

Jun 4, 2002, 2:16 AM
Post #1 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

taking photos when youve got no friends.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all,

im thinking of going to sydney on my own for a while on my own... im going to be bouldering (check orange overhangs sissy crag shot it part of the reason im goin) on my own and want to take some pics of me climbing. ive got a pentax slr, and a tripod. the camera has a timer tho its not adjustable and its too short. is there somthing like a cable release or somthing with a variable timer built in?

help

joe

kriso9tails

Jun 4, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #2 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

taking photos when youve got no friends. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well... I'm not sure if this would work for bouldering, but when I take my picture I have no timer on my camera so I have a twenty foot long air remote that I conceal and press when I want the shot. It's awkward, but cheap. The easiest solution is to set up your shot and get a passer by to just press the shutter. That's about as affordable and simple and as far as I'm willing to go for simple shots of me climbing.

pushfurther

Jun 4, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #3 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just make nice with some other climbers..take shots of them, they'll take shots of you. it's how i get most of my shots.

jmlangford

Jun 4, 2002, 3:25 AM
Post #4 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long is the timer? Ten seconds is just about how much time you'll need. BTW, you guys are so vain...taking pictures of yourself. Geeeez...oops! I just remembered, I've done that a few times myself!

kriso9tails

Jun 4, 2002, 3:31 AM
Post #5 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but I'm so damn pretty...

joemor

Jun 4, 2002, 8:32 AM
Post #6 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

more help needed!!!!!

i want to take photos of people climbing..... its just i usually climb alone. and i dont like my chance of becomming friendly with the locals as ill only be there for a couple of days.

joe

trommater

Jun 4, 2002, 7:15 PM
Post #7 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's another option if you are willing to get yourself a different camera: There are a number of point-and-shoot cameras on the market ( I know that Pentax has a great one called the 928) that have a wireless remote. The camera is small and the remote is tiny. The cool thing is that you push the button on the remote and then you still have a few seconds to put the remote away and "pose" before the shutter snaps. I think you can get that camera online for less than $200.

Dan

pushfurther

Jun 4, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #8 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:i want to take photos of people climbing..its just i usually climb alone. and i dont like my chance of becomming friendly with the locals as ill only be there for a couple of days.

hey joe, i usually climb alone, and most of my shots are of other people. i think i have two shots of me on this site. the key to taking pictures of other people is being friendly and showing respect to them. i usually say "hey, i'm from oklahoma city, and just out here for a few days, do you guys mind if i hang around and shoot some pictures?" i've never been turned down. i usually tell them that i plan on posting them here, too. that way they can find their picture if they want to.

joemor

Jun 5, 2002, 3:36 AM
Post #9 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i understand how to be friendly and have no probs meeting people, its just the spot ill be cimbing isnt really that popular and i cant count on other people being there, especially as ill be climbing during work hours and most people will be at work

joe

pushfurther

Jun 5, 2002, 6:57 AM
Post #10 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's understandable. you can't get anyone to go? well, however it works out, good luck.

kriso9tails

Jun 5, 2002, 3:31 PM
Post #11 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you take pictures of other people you have to get their consent in writing now, especially in North America. That's important.

verticallaw

Jun 5, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #12 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do alot of photogarphy while I am out and My offer is this with local climbers that I meet. " hey man ahh im by myself here but I have a kick ass camera and take good shots... if I take some shots of you guys would you be willing to use my gear and take some shots of me in exchange for doubles of the shots..... oh you wont be here long well why don't you give me your address and I'll mail them to ya when I get them developed."

I find that this works great especially when your on the road and on your own. I travel a fair bit with work so this is not uncommon for me. The harder part is finding a consistant partner who knows what he is doing ( unless i am bouldering)

Mike

joemor

Jun 6, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #13 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so theres no like a cable release with a built in timer?

Partner tim

Jun 7, 2002, 3:28 AM
Post #14 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
If you take pictures of other people you have to get their consent in writing now, especially in North America. That's important.

Technically that's not quite true. The law varies from state to state, but in general (specific subjects excepted for trade reasons) you do not need a release to photograph an adult in a public place for portfolio or editorial work. If you make money off of it (eg. for advertisement or commercial work) you need a release for that.

I can assure you that the press corps in the Senate and at the Pentagon does not get a release from Rumsfeld every time he cracks wise. On the other hand, Harrison Shull took a shot of my onetime partner Alden climbing a route at Willoughby that he had completely wired (Mindbender) and got a release so he could sell the shot (it is in this year's Climb High catalog). The chance that Alden would sue or claim misrepresentation is about point-shit-over-infinity, but Harrison said that's his policy, always. So, there's your difference...

(hth )

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-06-06 20:30 ]

kriso9tails

Jun 7, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #15 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I didn't mean that it's a legal restriction... it's a practical one! There are many ethical and leagal issues surrounding when you need consent, so if you plan to publicly display picture of someone (where they can be clearly identified), then it's really easy to have them write that's it's okay. Plus it's polite . Just because it's not illeagal does not mean that you can't get sued (and whether they win or not I don't think that it's nice). Plus if someone doesn't mind you taking their picture (again of them specifically and not just a shot that they happen to be in) then they shouldn't mind giving permission; however if they won't give permission, laws be damned if you take their picture against their will or not you're being disrespectful.

My photography teacher gave us a few stories that promoted the -better safe than sorry- cliché.

tenn_dawg

Jun 7, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #16 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to be a little off subject here, but if the photograph is in a public place I don't believe you need permission from the subjects in the pictures. This comes from a court case involving one of those "Girls Gone Wild" videos. Some girl flashed the camera at MartiGras, then her family saw her on the TV comercial. Her and her family flipped out, and sued, but as of the last I heard, they did not win the case. Something about public excebitionsim. I'm not positive though, and your probably right about being better safe than sorry.
Travis

snake

Jun 7, 2002, 4:59 AM
Post #17 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you climbing for the pics? If so your climbing for the wrong reasons. This isn't a contest. Just go and get your hands on some rock, the pictures will come...

kriso9tails

Jun 7, 2002, 5:07 AM
Post #18 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But in that case the defendants were backed by playboy (or that might have been later), or at least had enough cash, so naturally the lawyers were good. Also the girls had to sign before being video taped (or that could have been after the first law suit).

I've been told that you can take pictures of people freely in public places, but I don't know how much that really means. There are numerous restrictions on this I'm sure, but I think it goes case by case because many different laws can be applied as to what is a breech of people's rights or not. Depends on how creative your lawyer is or something . Again, I think it's polite to ask before you use some one (if they are the focus of the shot).

I don't know... I'm not a legalities sort of guy. I just try to play fair.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2002-06-06 22:09 ]

dmon

Jun 8, 2002, 4:24 AM
Post #19 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Joe, when you thinking of coming?
How are you getting here, where are you staying and where are you getting your beta? (If you think that Sissy is not a popular crag then its not very reliable!) I'm a relatively new climber but I would be happy to give you a spot, take some photos and intend to get a pad pretty soon. I might also be able to save you some petrol and most importantly, I HAVE THE SYDNEY BOULDERING GUIDE! If you want to hook up, I start my uni holidays on July 2nd and am free for the next 2-3 weeks (apart from a bit of work). Email me at

duncanmacinnis@yahoo.com

Oh yeah, and I'm into a little bit (a very little bit) of photgraphy myself, and would be bringing along my own pentax slr.
Later, Duncan (in Sydney)

Partner tim

Jun 8, 2002, 6:22 PM
Post #20 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

re: Permission:

From a politeness aspect, as a non-professional, I simply don't take people's pictures if they don't want me to. I don't need any enemies . But, and this is important to realize, if you don't word your release exactly correctly, they can *STILL* sue! So that is more a question of *their* integrity. Anyone can sue, and with a good enough lawyer, anyone can take it to trial.

Nonetheless, I agree with you 100% on the issue of getting permission. If you look on my website, you'll see an awful lot of people pictures. Every last one of them was taken with consent, and in many cases I bought something from the person in the picture (gasoline, postcards, a scrapbook) or had just talked to them at length. I don't think you can take good pictures of people without caring about them, and if you care about someone even remotely, you won't be able to stomach blasting away at them without permission.

JMHO,

--tim

joemor

Jun 13, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #21 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quote "Are you climbing for the pics? If so your climbing for the wrong reasons. This isn't a contest. Just go and get your hands on some rock, the pictures will come..."

the answer to that is that i have no photos of myself, i always seem to be the one taking the photos of my friends and as i have a slr, they cant use it (they tried and took crap underexposed photos), so id just like a pic or two of myself to go with all the others of my mates.

joe

cragchica

Jun 14, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #22 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I can't offer any advice... only sympathy.
I have the same problem.
I like photography and have an SLR myself (Pentax K1000 that I love) and I have almost given up on taking it climbing because friends won't touch it and if they do, they mess some setting up.
I used to travel with my dad who is an aweosme photographer... we took all sorts of pictures of eachother. Now I climb with a friend who is a photo fiend. She has a point and shoot that she hardly puts down... which means she takes tons of pics of me and I'm always there to snap some of her. I sometimes wish I had my own camera out there, but this system works well.
I did once encounter a random climber who offered to take pics of me with my SLR when I was still bringing it to the crags with me. The pictures were great. You never know...
Good luck!

rocknpowda

Jun 14, 2002, 8:09 PM
Post #23 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not as radical as an SLR and doesn't have all the gidgets and adjusta-thingies but a cheap point and shoot is great for self photography shots.

In fact I think I like self photography more than shooting other people. Not that I'm vain but it is just fun rigging it all up-but hey I like aid climbing too, maybe I'm nuts.

Maybe you should go to a pawn shop or K-Mart or the lost and found at your local amusement park and get a cheap (or free) point n shoot to get the photos you want of yourself and use your good camera for shots of others. They're small enough to actually take on the route with you and you won't have to worry about someone overcranking your knob.

[ This Message was edited by: rocknpowda on 2002-06-14 13:30 ]

crux_clipper

Jun 15, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #24 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought my photo of phil was pretty good, especially when you never told me there was black and white film in the camera! Thanks for the vote of confidence

joemor

Jun 17, 2002, 12:32 AM
Post #25 of 31 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crux u took a good couple of shots first person who hasnt totally stuffed it up, everyone else ive said "ive set it up all you have to do is focus and click" say somthing along the lines of "how do i do that" and manage to adjust the apature at the same time.............

ah i give up

point and click time i think....

joe

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook