Forums: Community: Campground:
Who DOESN'T drink...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

saltamonte

Dec 8, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #176 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who DOESN'T drink... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't drink, nor do I consider loosing my senses an enjoyable passtime. But several of my climbing partners do and several don't.

Amoung my climbing friends I would say the majority don't drink. but amoung those climbers I meet at the crag the majority do.

The desirability of their company can not really be linked to their beverage prefrences. Some drinkers are far more desirable climbing, and camping companions than many a alcohaul free maniac I have met . Then again if 3 am earsplitting music and a trail of littered cans is what you want to avoid some (not all) drinkers may not be ideal for climbing partners.

alcohaul does remove inhibitions but people's personalities and character are still the main issue. Judge them by their personality and character (who they are) and if you find out they drink just be ready to see more of that personality if they are ever drunk.

napoleon_in_rags

Dec 8, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #177 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hell yea, im 16 and i drink, i went over to my friends house every weekend and got drunk as hell, his dad owns check into cash business, hes a multi millionare, we drunk tons of beer and liquor from them and walked 2 miles bare footed just to swim in his twin lakes for 5 min :) , he has like 2 6ft tall, 5 feet wide beer coolers :twisted: , and we had a hang over from drinking to much jack and blayed off his 5 story treehouse.

Maybe you should lay off the booze a little bit, bro. I mean when you are too drunk to post coherently, it's time to call it a day.

thisflash

Dec 8, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #178 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="dynosore"]
In reply to:
The only legitimate reason not to drink is if you were in a heavy metal band in the late 80s to early 90's and got so strung out on drugs and booze that after your tenth trip to the emergency room you decided to quit. All other reasons, especially religious, are horsesh**t. Alcohol can be enjoyed responsibly.

In reply to:
Then how come their were over 20000 people killed by drunk drivers last year?

Because that's not enjoying alcohol responsibly.
In reply to:
How come alcoholism is such a common problem?
No one is saying alcohol can't become addictive. This goes back to being responsible.
In reply to:
Some people simply CANNOT drink responsibly, it's called addiction.
That's right.
In reply to:
I know a lady who was beat and molested by her alcoholic father, he only did it when he was wasted. She won't touch alcohol. Is that a bad reason?
Yes. He was the molester, not the alcohol. He irresponsibly chose to get wasted and therefore he was to blame for his actions.

dynosore

Dec 8, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #179 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Then you admit that alot of people can't enjoy alcohol responsibly, and there are alot of good reasons that people want to avoid using it.

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #180 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hell yea, im 16 and i drink, i went over to my friends house every weekend and got drunk as hell, his dad owns check into cash business, hes a multi millionare, we drunk tons of beer and liquor from them and walked 2 miles bare footed just to swim in his twin lakes for 5 min :) , he has like 2 6ft tall, 5 feet wide beer coolers :twisted: , and we had a hang over from drinking to much jack and blayed off his 5 story treehouse.

Yeah, I remember my first drunk, too. Boy, I thought I was the shit -- kinda like you. It sounds like you're ready to party like a real man for sure, bro! I doubt you're ready for the consequences of it, though. I know I wasn't. You'll figure it out for yourself eventually... or not.

As for the rest of the commentary on this thread -- I'm amazed at how easily threatened some of you are by those of us who choose not to drink, for whatever reason. You all know why I don't. But what's the big deal with making fun of or belittling those who choose to pass on it because of health issues or religious/spiritual reasons? WTF is it to you if someone decides that drinking isn't for them? Have any of you really even been admonished for you choice to drink by someone who doesn't drink for religious reasons? I'm not aware of ANYONE who runs arounds trying to shame people out of drinking because they want you to think exactly like they do.

Just because someone chooses not to drink for religious reasons doesn't mean they are coming for you keg/flask/bottle next. Why the paranoia? Why the discrimination and vilifying of those who live their lives by principles different that yours? I'm not a religious guy, but I have many friends who worship in one form or another. Most of them drink, some don't, but NONE of them have any desire to pluck the bottle from your hand -- so just fucking relax. In fact, go have another drink, fer cryin out loud.

Ed

greenmachineman7

Dec 8, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #181 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh, where to start.

First, I'd like to say that feelings are exactly that, and that they're non-negotiable. I'm not sure you can justifiably tell someone that how the feel is right or wrong, only that you agree or disagree with them. Yeah.

That being said, I come from an alcoholic family, and for a long time (until I was 20) chose not to drink.

I've also been exposed to many folks in recovery who cannot be around alcohol because they are aware how powerless they are over the substance.

For me, it comes down to respect, both for yourself and for others around you. It takes self-respect to say that enough is enough, and respect for others to recognize that it's a poor idea to bust out the beers in the prescence of someone who is disagreeable to it. Plain and simple.

People who drink to drink to the point of stupidity disrespect themselves when they do so, and also disrespect the people around them.

climbingpride

Dec 8, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #182 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't.
:D

natas

Dec 8, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #183 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not drinking is nothing to be proud of :!:

maxdacat

Dec 8, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #184 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

School Councillor Mackey says "drinking's bad mmmkay"

dynosore

Dec 8, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #185 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not drinking is nothing to be proud of

It's nothing to be ashamed of either.
And drinking excessively is definitely not something to be proud of.
"Yeah, I'm a REAL climber becasue I get wasted after every session at the local crag" :roll:

natas

Dec 8, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #186 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure is fun though

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 8, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #187 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sure is fun though
for some it is. for some it isn't.

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 8, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #188 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just because someone chooses not to drink for religious reasons doesn't mean they are coming for you keg/flask/bottle next. Why the paranoia? Why the discrimination and vilifying of those who live their lives by principles different that yours?

Say what? Ever heard of a little thing called prohibition? Or perhaps more recently the religious right trying to keep gay people from marrying? People in this country try to enforce their own religious beliefs on others all the time.

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #189 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just because someone chooses not to drink for religious reasons doesn't mean they are coming for you keg/flask/bottle next. Why the paranoia? Why the discrimination and vilifying of those who live their lives by principles different that yours?

Say what? Ever heard of a little thing called prohibition? Or perhaps more recently the religious right trying to keep gay people from marrying? People in this country try to enforce their own religious beliefs on others all the time.

Prohibition? This year? Which Senator is sponsoring the legislation? C'mon!! That was in the 1920's -- who's coming after you and you Guiness this weekend? Absolutely no one.

And homosexuals are allowed to drink any time they want, too. Whether or not they can get married has absolutely nothing to do with this topic nor the point I was making. Your fear of a small group of radically religious Christians is pure paranoia. The perception that this group is successfully forcing their beliefs on you is a red herring proped up by yet another small but vocal minority -- the radical left.

The vast and overwhelming number of us have much more common ground in the middle than either extreme of the left or right would have you believe. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Ed

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 8, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #190 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed,

Actually, I am simply trying to argue your apparent asserstion that people in this country *don't* try to enforce their religious beliefs on others. In that case the example of banning gay marriages is entirely relevant.

And yeah, OK, the prohibition example is pretty dated, but I think it shows what can happen in this country when a group of people with a particular moral agenda get to have their way politically.

EDIT: And as Dingus points out a form of prohibition actually does exist on the local level in this country in the form of wet / dry counties.

dingus

Dec 8, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #191 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="epic_ed"]Prohibition? This year?
In reply to:

2004?

http://tinyurl.com/4wob7

http://www.decaturdaily.com/...s/040523/sales.shtml

http://www.courier-journal.com/...etdry0526-11618.html

Don't know what country you live in dude, but in my country? Reports of the Death of Prohibitiion were GREATLY exaggerated!

In reply to:
The vast and overwhelming number of us have much more common ground in the middle than either extreme of the left or right would have you believe.

I agree with that. The whole red/blue debate is moronic and those who perpetrate it are morons as well.

Cheers!
DMT

powen

Dec 8, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #192 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="dingus"][quote="epic_ed"]Prohibition? This year?
In reply to:

2004?

http://tinyurl.com/4wob7

http://www.decaturdaily.com/...s/040523/sales.shtml

http://www.courier-journal.com/...etdry0526-11618.html

Don't know what country you live in dude, but in my country? Reports of the Death of Prohibitiion were GREATLY exaggerated!

In reply to:
The vast and overwhelming number of us have much more common ground in the middle than either extreme of the left or right would have you believe.

I agree with that. The whole red/blue debate is moronic and those who perpetrate it are morons as well.

Cheers!
DMT

Bang bang! Speaking as a sometimes victim of Prohibition in this country, I feel that other people's beliefs are pushed on me from time to time in my homestate of Kentucky. What should anybody care if I want to drink on Sunday? There are places in my town that I cannot buy liquor or beer on Sundays. Why not? Because of so-called "blue laws" regulating morality in my everyday life. I can't go visit friends at Centre College without stopping in another county to buy alcohol. If I need to a fine brandy to compliment a well cooked meal (like Ramen Noodles), I better hope it's not Sunday, or I'm screwed.

And Mr. Dingus Milktoast is correct, this is not a red/blue issue. The majority of Kentucky is registered Democrat, and our state government is typically Democrat ruled. That didn't stop us from voting to ban gay marriage and civil unions, and it hasn't stopped people from denying me the ability to enjoy a sip of Jack Daniel's or fine Kentucky Bourbon whiskey on a Sunday afternoon.

Buy it on Saturday and quit whining? No, I should be able to buy it whatever day I choose. I am a responsible drinker and adult, I should not be punished for the transgressions or moral frailties of others.

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #193 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See, I think those links are a perfect example of what happens when our systems is working well. There is no FEDERAL mandate determining what is right for you and your community. But, at the same time, you and those who live near you can determine (often county to county) what is good, right, and acceptible for you and your community. Kentucky is notorious for their puritanical liquor laws, but many of them have been over turned in the past few decades (I'm from Ohio and am very familiar with Sunday restrictions on sales of alcohol). Utah is an example of an entire state that has been able to maintain their choice for how alcohol consumption is treated. For decades, mormons have been the majority in Utah by a WIDE margin. Why should they be able to decide for themselves what is good and right for their communities?

Of course, the population demograhics are shifting in Utah, and accordingly, some of the puritanical laws have been change or at least called into question recently. It seems I read about some type of "repeal" of restrictive alcohol sales and consumption bring on the ballot at nearly every election up there. Some pass, some fail, but as more and more secular people move into Utah the mormon stronghold on values-based laws is erroding.

The caveat to those places that have restrictive alcohol laws -- know where you're moving before you go. If you're unfortunate enough to be born into a dry county or state, your generation has the chance to go a different direction or maintain the status quo. And if you don't like it -- move. You'd never find me living in Utah.

Ed

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2004, 8:47 PM
Post #194 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The majority of Kentucky is registered Democrat, and our state government is typically Democrat ruled. That didn't stop us from voting to ban gay marriage and civil unions, and it hasn't stopped people from denying me the ability to enjoy a sip of Jack Daniel's or fine Kentucky Bourbon whiskey on a Sunday afternoon.

Buy it on Saturday and quit whining? No, I should be able to buy it whatever day I choose. I am a responsible drinker and adult, I should not be punished for the transgressions or moral frailties of others.

Great. Did you vote the last time your county had a measure on the ballot to lift the Sunday blue laws? If there hasn't been a measure on the ballot recently, what have you done to get one on it that reflects your values? If your values truely reflect the majority opinion of the residence in your county then it should be a slam dunk. If not, then...you're going to be governed by someone else's value system until you move somewhere that they have no restrictions of alcohol sales and consumption.

Ed

holmeslovesguinness

Dec 8, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #195 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed,

First you are telling us:

In reply to:
Prohibition? This year? Which Senator is sponsoring the legislation? C'mon!! That was in the 1920's -- who's coming after you and you Guiness this weekend? Absolutely no one.

Then when an example is shown to the contrary you simply change gears (apparently to avoid having to say you were wrong) and state that it's OK to regulate morality as long as it's only on the 'local' and not the Federal level? Nicely done - you should be a polititican :wink:

powen

Dec 8, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #196 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great. Did you vote the last time your county had a measure on the ballot to lift the Sunday blue laws? If there hasn't been a measure on the ballot recently, what have you done to get one on it that reflects your values? If your values truely reflect the majority opinion of the residence in your county then it should be a slam dunk. If not, then...you're going to be governed by someone else's value system until you move somewhere that they have no restrictions of alcohol sales and consumption.

Ed

No, I was too drunk to vote.

Kidding. However, I have been voting since I was of age, and have never seen a liquor law on ballot, either for or against. I have written my Congresswoman, Senator, local governments etc. in support of lifting the laws.

Our city government has undergone huge changes the last few years, so issues such as this have gone far on the backburner behind workers benefits and compensation, fairness laws protecting the rights of gay workers, unifying city and county government etc. etc...

We have had several problems with regards to residents living near major nightspots attempting to completely ban liquor sales, and I again wrote the usual letters etc (these were votes from residents of that particulary "city", not my city at large so I was unable to vote at all). No politicians will touch this issue where I live (on a metro level). Do I like it? No. Have I done something about it? Yes, and not just writing letters... Can I do more? Of course, but right now most of the active and motivated people in my city have bigger issues to fight than trying to drink on Sunday. So yes, I vote, I write, I talk and debate with other people, I educate them as to the laws, and I also don't shop for food on Sundays specifically because of the ban on liquor sales.

Anymore than that and you're cutting into my climbing and drinking time.

I also realize that I will be living here governed by other's values until the majority of people's attitudes change (which they haven't). That's why I speak up about it now, here and everywhere else. Just because my values don't reflect the popular values doesn't mean mine should be ignored or disregarded. My perceived right to purchase alcohol on Sunday does not infringe on anyone else's rights to live their lives as they see fit. That is where popular values should not infringe on my lifestyle.

I hear what you're saying, and I understand your point (which is a good one). I'm two hours from the Red, you think I'm going to move because I can't drink on Sundays? :)

powen

Dec 8, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #197 of 255 (14807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ed,

First you are telling us:

In reply to:

Then when an example is shown to the contrary you simply change gears (apparently to avoid having to say you were wrong) and state that it's OK to regulate morality as long as it's only on the 'local' and not the Federal level? Nicely done - you should be a polititican :wink:

Hey, a good devil's advocate knows no boundaries or rules!

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #198 of 255 (14919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, Holmes, your example was prohibition -- which was a federally mandated law. I'm very much against the feds making laws which could be better decided for me at a more local level. This applies to nearly everything -- issues of morality (can you imagine the feds trying to comeup with a laws for strip bars? :roll: -- yeah, good luck there), taxation, building codes, etc. You, in Colorado, aren't affected by the local blue laws in Kentucky that Dingus linked any more than I am in AZ. Just as it should be. Now our poor brother, Powen, on the other hand...move to Cincinnati.

Ed

powen

Dec 8, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #199 of 255 (14931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nah, Holmes, your example was prohibition -- which was a federally mandated law. I'm very much against the feds making laws which could be better decided for me at a more local level. This applies to nearly everything -- issues of morality (can you imagine the feds trying to comeup with a laws for strip bars? :roll: -- yeah, good luck there), taxation, building codes, etc. You, in Colorado, aren't affected by the local blue laws in Kentucky that Dingus linked any more than I am in AZ. Just as it should be. Now our poor brother, Powen, on the other hand...move to Cincinnati.

Ed

Dear God no, the bars there close too early. They close here at 4:30 AM.

:)

Partner jammer

Dec 8, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #200 of 255 (15008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please, somebody give me a little support here.

I don't drink, and I'm not ripping on anybody that does, but I'm just curious as to what extent climbing and drinking go together? From the talk that gets spread around this site, and from the dominant climbing community, it seems that climbers can rarely be found in their campsites without a brew in hand.

Unfortunately, whenever I think about traveling somewhere and climbing with a random partner I'm not acquainted with, I take into account the environment that I might be exposed to, and I generally don't care to associate myself with people who are drinking. It just doesn't appeal to me, and I don't enjoy it, so I am hesitant to partner up with someone I do not know.

So what gives? Is drinking just that enjoyable when combined with climbing? What's the reasoning? How many of you don't drink? I'd like to hear from both sides of this one. Flame as desired.

Back to the original post ...

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook