RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

climbingnurse

Dec 9, 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #1 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Using a grigri in a slackline set up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone do this? Is it going to screw up my grigri for climbing?

I'm currently using the "primitive" method with 3 biners. But I don't feel like I can get it as tight as I want that way. I was thinking about setting up a 3-to-1 with my grigri, an old piece of rope, and 2 of those cheapo pulleys from Petzl. That seems like the easiest way to set it up with gear I already have.

I was also figuring that I could use the grigri to tension the line and then do a transfer to a prusik attached with a munter-mule. But of course I'd lose a lot of tension doing the transfer.

I am not at all willing to buy one of the commercial rigs. I think that's cheating... And expensive.

danpayne

Dec 9, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #2 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Re: Using a grigri in a slackline set up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ummm, I don't really know dick about slacklining, but isn't it supposed to be done with webbing?

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 9, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ummm, I don't really know dick about slacklining, but isn't it supposed to be done with webbing?

Correct. 8^)

:shock:

Partner coldclimb

Dec 9, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #4 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The line itself is, but a lot of people use ropes in the tensioning systems. :)

And yeah, I've heard of and seen grigris used. Never have myself though, so I can't speak up as to whether you would want to use it for climbing afterward or not. I know I use my ascenders for both my slackline and climbing though....

climbingnurse

Dec 9, 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #5 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid... ColdClimb is right, I'm just talking about using the rope to tension the webbing. I'm not gonna try to walk across a rope.

Still looking for feedback on whether or not I'll ruin my grigri...

pk

Dec 9, 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #6 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid... ColdClimb is right, I'm just talking about using the rope to tension the webbing. I'm not gonna try to walk across a rope.

Still looking for feedback on whether or not I'll ruin my grigri...

I don't slackline! I've seen some pretty elaborate setups though and in my opinion using any sort of camming device on the rope is bad imho. If this is for a very high tension slackline 1: I don't know if the gri gri will hold up ie it's failing point I don't know it, and 2: at what point will it start to ruin the rope force wise.

Again I don't know jack about high line setups these are just my observations with nothing to bad it up with.

P.K.

rkhali

Dec 9, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #7 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't the rope need to be moving at a certain speed inside the gri gri for it to lock?

You could probably use an ascender but I don't know if it damages the rope or anything like that. I've seen people use it before though.

Cheers,
Raymond

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 9, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #8 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I'm just talking about using the rope to tension the webbing...

Ideally, you want to remove these types of tensioning sytems before you slackline for the concerns that pk mentioned..

rispo

Dec 10, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #9 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a gri gri for my slackline, it's hard to describe but you use rope on one end with the gri gri to tension the webbing which is fixed at the other end. The only problem is to get a lot of tension you need more people to pull the webbing while you cam in more rope. The gri gri locks and the rope doesn't need to move at a certain speed it just locks. When you release it you need other people to pull the line also in order to avoid all the built up tension from hitting you in the face.

jello

Dec 10, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #10 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used my gri gri for setting up a slackline many times. I also use it for climbing along with the biners I use and any other pully or equipment used in the set-up. Thats just me though. I inspect my gear and go.
I would recomend using a static rope in your setup and a 9mm or so line will allow you to release the handle on the gri better.....oh yeah, and I like a clove hitch from the rope to a biner and the webbing clove hitched again to the other side of the biner to join the two.
Walk tall and don't get your toe ripped off!
Cheers!

theturtle

Dec 10, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #11 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use a gri gri for my slackline, it's hard to describe but you use rope on one end with the gri gri to tension the webbing which is fixed at the other end. The only problem is to get a lot of tension you need more people to pull the webbing while you cam in more rope. The gri gri locks and the rope doesn't need to move at a certain speed it just locks. When you release it you need other people to pull the line also in order to avoid all the built up tension from hitting you in the face.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Um yea, watch your face.

But seriously folks, you CAN damage your gri-gri. I've bent two and broken the handle off one while tensioning slacklines, so always inspect your gear before you use it.

livingtheedge

Dec 10, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #12 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use the three biner system... it works great, is cheap, easy to set up and take down, plus you dont have to worry about damaging your grigri. The more complicated you make the system the more likely something will go wrong. I dont use any of my slackline stuff for climbing however i only have some 40 bucks worth of slackline equipment... some biners and a bunch of webbing.

n00b

Dec 10, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #13 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the grigri can overcam making it a pain to get open. this has been my experience with using grigri's in this sort of application.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 10, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #14 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
use the three biner system... it works great, is cheap, easy to set up and take down, plus you dont have to worry about damaging your grigri. The more complicated you make the system the more likely something will go wrong. I dont use any of my slackline stuff for climbing however i only have some 40 bucks worth of slackline equipment... some biners and a bunch of webbing.

There are a lot of places in slacklining that one simply cannot go with the three biner system. :)

lucas_timmer

Jan 1, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #15 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read about tensioning a line for slackroping or a tyrolean traverse, and that you can us grigri's or other devices withs cams like ascenders for tensioning rope or ascending.But you can only use this for ascending and not for slacklines or tyroleans because the cams inside the device will ruin or even cut triugh the rope...
Check this: http://www.chetwynd.info/other/tyrolean.htm

poedoe

Apr 8, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #16 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted a similar reply about using climbing gear on a slackline. Bassically over time alluminum will weaken when you put stress on it, just like your climbing rope does. Thats just looking at it from an engineering point of view. Thats why parts of your car (tie rods, for example) are made of steel and not alluminum (steel will weaken a bit and then "even out"). So you could use a gri-gri to set up your slackline, but thats an expensive toy to use solely for a slackline. I think any engineer (mechanical, electrical, ect) will tell you this.

climbfrog

Apr 8, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #17 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the gri-gri many times in this application. And you know what, everyone is right. It's very easy to f**k it up! There is soooo much tension on it, that handle can easily snap. The gri-gri really wasn't made for a slack line application I'm sorry to say. The 3 biner system works just as well. Besides, it's make you learn a bit more about your rope handling skills and pulley systems.

andyw

Apr 8, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #18 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

urm I donno man, that sounds really sketch. The Grigir is good for top ropeing where there isn't much strain but dont think it should be used for slacklineing

poedoe

Apr 9, 2005, 3:57 AM
Post #19 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so maybe I should clarify a bit about the wonders of alluminum so hopefully people might understand that there really is a physics based explantion and not some guy making stuff up.

So stress is force per unit area applied to a material (alluminum carabiner), and the total force on an object (carabiner) is the load (think of that as 'weighting' your biner). Next the maximum stress that can be applied is called Strength (some carabiners have a maximum strength of 25 KN, or 5620 pounds). Now your probably thinking "yeah we know all this so whats the point." The point is that that there is something called metal fatigue. Metal fatigue is ussually a crack that forms from repeated stress above the metals fatigue limit. Now to the problem with alluminum is that alluminum does not have a fatigue limit. So reapeated cycles of stress (even small amounts) on your alluminum carabiners will eventually result in failure. Now steel on the other hand, has a fatigue limit, so as long as the stress applied to it is below its limit, it shouldn't fail. Now typically in a carabiner will start slowly and shouldn't be a problem initially. But do you want to take the chance that your next 20 fall is a piece that may have an unoticable fatigue crack that may push it past its limit?

areyoumydude

Apr 9, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #20 of 20 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The 3 biner system works just as well.

No it doesent even come close to working as well as a pulley system with a gri-gri. The key is putting the gri at the end of your tensioning system. That way most of the force is spread out in the pulleys and not the gri-gri. When used this way it is very easy to release. Just make sure you remove the tensioning system before you start slacking. If you use it like that your gri-gri should be fine.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook