Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
information on Scimitar, Stone mountain?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

andy_reagan

Dec 10, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1099 views)
Shortcut

information on Scimitar, Stone mountain?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for information about this route (location, style of climbing, etc) and any other .11-.12 routes at stone on well spaced bolts. I got information on all the classic runout routes, just heard something mentioned about a couple well bolted hard routes.

Thanks!

Partner j_ung

Dec 10, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1099 views)
Shortcut

Re: information on Scimitar, Stone mountain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes! Go get it, Andy. I don't have any first-hand info, but if you climb Fleet Feet (.10a), Scimitar is maybe 20 feet right of it.

emilb

Dec 10, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1099 views)
Shortcut

Re: information on Scimitar, Stone mountain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was on it a few years ago. It's very steep compared to most Stone mountain climbs and more face climbing than slab. Fairly well protected though and the bolts are big, beefy and new.

The Discipline is only one other route at Stone that goes at 5.12. The crux is pulling a roof (yes there are roofs at Stone mountain!). These bolts were not replaced when the South Face was rebolted a few years ago and some of them look a bit scary.

You could also try Happy Trails (a.k.a. as McGreadys Route) which is a solid 5.11. The first pitch is 5.9 mixed pro (old bolts again). The second pitch goes through the same roof band as the Discipline and is very hard. I've never been able to do the move so I don't know how it is above that point.

Emil

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook