Forums: Community: Campground:
Creation By Design...The Odds...(part I of a few to come)...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Partner sauron

Dec 14, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #151 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Re: Creation By Design...The Odds...(part I of a few to come [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
On an not entirely unrelated note - since most non-christians seem to be strong believers of the Big Bang theory..
Unlike Christians, non-christians do not claim to have all the answers.

I have yet to meet a christian (including myself) who claims to have all the answers.

Televangelists don't count.
Ahhhhh, so you admit that parts fo the Bible are wrong! which parts? to what extent?
Re-read my statement.

Admitting that I do not know everything, is irrelevant to your question.

Define "wrong" as used in the context of your question.
It's perfectly relevant. Isn't the Bible accepted as the infallible word of God?

It is accepted as the infallible word of God - however, this has absolutely no bearing on the amount of knowledge my brain contains. Like I said, re-read my original statement:

In reply to:
In reply to:

I have yet to meet a christian (including myself) who claims to have all the answers.

What is the relevance between the amount of information contained in a person's brain, and the infallible word of God?

In reply to:
As far as defining "wrong" in the context of my question... Dude, I expect you're perfectly capable of using a dictionary.

There are at least 10 definitions and usages of the word "wrong" in the dictionary.

In reply to:
Ahhhhh, so you admit that parts fo the Bible are wrong! which parts? to what extent?

"Wrong" in comparison to what? Your statement (or question) is so vague, that there is no answer for it.

It's not unlike asking "Is bad good?"

Well.. that depends. ;)

- d.

Partner sauron

Dec 14, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #152 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[Stupid forum won't let you delete your own posts in community anymore. Grr.]

- d.

robbovius

Dec 14, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #153 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How about that George Bush, he sure does suck. :twisted:

Oh yeah, we're having a SERIOUS discussion, and you're trying to hijack the thread! Step off, yo! ;-)

robbovius

Dec 14, 2004, 8:19 PM
Post #154 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
On an not entirely unrelated note - since most non-christians seem to be strong believers of the Big Bang theory..

Televangelists don't count.
Re-read my statement.

Admitting that I do not know everything, is irrelevant to your question.

Define "wrong" as used in the context of your question.
It's perfectly relevant. Isn't the Bible accepted as the infallible word of God?

It is accepted as the infallible word of God - however, this has absolutely no bearing on the amount of knowledge my brain contains. Like I said, re-read my original statement:

In reply to:
In reply to:

What is the relevance between the amount of information contained in a person's brain, and the infallible word of God?

In reply to:
As far as defining "wrong" in the context of my question... Dude, I expect you're perfectly capable of using a dictionary.

There are at least 10 definitions and usages of the word "wrong" in the dictionary.

In reply to:

"Wrong" in comparison to what? Your statement (or question) is so vague, that there is no answer for it.

It's not unlike asking "Is bad good?"

Well.. that depends. ;)

- d.

2,000,000 points off for double posting. Doesn't matter that you deleted the repeat. Sauron, no offense, but you can't possibly think, at this point in the thread, that you're gonna get a straight answer out of me, right? ;-)

dingus

Dec 14, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #155 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you see, the planet theory is the best explanation

Yes, of course I see. We have not discovered extra-solar planets. We have inferred their existence. Personally, I trust that deduction until presented with good evidence / theory to the contrary. But to state 'we have discovered x number of planets' en route to extrapolating that to a total number of planets in the known universe, as was attempted in this thread, is hocus pocus. Like proving intelligent design with a bunch of made up numbers, lol!

It is a purposeful stretching of the known truth.

Thanks

DMT

vertical_reality

Dec 14, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #156 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Oh yeah, we're having a SERIOUS discussion, and you're trying to hijack the thread! Step off, yo! ;-)

I figure all we have to do now is talk about sex and we'll be all set.

robbovius

Dec 14, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #157 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I figure all we have to do now is talk about sex and we'll be all set.

Didn't PTC already cover that with his "...touching on that ooze..." reply? ;-)

Partner sauron

Dec 14, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #158 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2,000,000 points off for double posting. Doesn't matter that you deleted the repeat. Sauron, no offense, but you can't possibly think, at this point in the thread, that you're gonna get a straight answer out of me, right? ;-)

I never expected to get a civilized response from you, that was obvious the minute you entered this thread.

However, if you're going to back out of an argument, then you should have the civility of leaving the rest of this thread alone.

- d.

bumblie

Dec 14, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #159 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I never expected to get a civilized response from you, that was obvious the minute you entered this thread.

However, if you're going to back out of an argument, then you should have the civility of leaving the rest of this thread alone.

- d.

Your request is based on a faulty assumption. :lol: :lol: :lol:

robbovius

Dec 14, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #160 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Define "civilized" as used, in the context of your statement.

In reply to:
- d.

D, please. this is COMMUNITY. Don't be obtuse. ;-)

pinktricam

Dec 14, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #161 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and then being called "insipid" by tradman.
Actually, I believe it was me that referred to you as insipid...I know it difficult for your muddled mind to keep the facts straight...just doing my part :lol:

on_sight_man

Dec 14, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #162 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
and then being called "insipid" by tradman.
Actually, I believe it was me that referred to you as insipid...I know it difficult for your muddled mind to keep the facts straight...just doing my part :lol:

Oh yeah, that's right. Bite me frat boy.

BTW, "insipid: means "bland" not "stupid"

on_sight_man

Dec 14, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #163 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[deleted]

Partner sauron

Dec 14, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #164 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Define "civilized" as used, in the context of your statement.

Seeing as I'm able to look it up in a dictionary, I'm sure you are as well...

Code
  civilized 
adj 1: having a high state of culture and development both social
and technological; "terrorist acts that shocked the
civilized world" [syn: {civilised}] [ant: {noncivilized}]
2: marked by refinement in taste and manners; "cultivated
speech"; "cultured Bostonians"; "cultured tastes"; "a
genteel old lady"; "polite society" [syn: {civilised}, {cultivated},
{cultured}, {genteel}, {polite}]

Pick either one.

In reply to:
In reply to:

D, please. this is COMMUNITY. Don't be obtuse. ;-)

Probatum est.

- d.

pinktricam

Dec 14, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #165 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's also synonomous with driveling and pointless...but, hey, why split hairs :!: :?: :lol:

hugepedro

Dec 14, 2004, 9:59 PM
Post #166 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Of course, I still despair for humanity, and am more and more convinced that I alone realize we are witnessing the death of the current age of reason.

Actually, Carl Sagan beat you to it by at least 9 years. See his book "The Demon-Haunted World." In a nutshell, he says that science has become so advanced and complex, and we don't educate the masses well enough, that most people cannot understand it and are therefore turning back to mythology to explain their universe. As evidenced by many threads on this forum, and by the rise of the red states, I say he was right.

In reply to:
We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces . . .

I worry that, expecially as the Millennium edges nearer, pseudo-science and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls.

Prophetic, no? Perhaps Carl was sent by God.

pinktricam

Dec 14, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #167 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Pedro, I'll bet Carl believes in God NOW!

bluto

Dec 14, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #168 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, Carl Sagan beat you to it by at least 9 years. See his book "The Demon-Haunted World." In a nutshell, he says that science has become so advanced and complex, and we don't educate the masses well enough, that most people cannot understand it and are therefore turning back to mythology to explain their universe. As evidenced by many threads on this forum, and by the rise of the red states, I say he was right.

That red state reference is either ignorance or comedy Pedro. :lol:

robbovius

Dec 14, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #169 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Of course, I still despair for humanity, and am more and more convinced that I alone realize we are witnessing the death of the current age of reason.

In reply to:
We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces . . .

I worry that, expecially as the Millennium edges nearer, pseudo-science and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls.

Prophetic, no? Perhaps Carl was sent by God.

Damn. Unfortunately, being in such good company is, of course, no solace at all.

hugepedro

Dec 14, 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #170 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How so? It is no secret that evangelicals, people who largely turn to religious belief over the scientific process (again, evidenced in part by this thread), were the difference in the election.

(Actually, it was an intentional jab.)

bluto

Dec 14, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #171 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

How so? It is no secret that evangelicals, people who largely turn to religious belief over the scientific process (again, evidenced in part by this thread), were the difference in the election.

Most of the discussion of religion and morals in relation to the previous election was fueled by responses to some poorly worded exit polls. The media seized upon this and created the storyline which you seem to have bought into.

hugepedro

Dec 14, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #172 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most of the discussion of religion and morals in relation to the previous election was fueled by responses to some poorly worded exit polls. The media seized upon this and created the storyline which you seem to have bought into.

Well, I could be wrong, but it is my opinion that people who want prayer in school, who want creationism taught in school, who want the 10 Commandments posted in schools and courthouses, and who oppose gay marriage, voted overwhelmingly for Bush.

robbovius

Dec 15, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #173 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

While, conversely, you actually bought the "...the discussion of religion and morals in relation to the previous election was fueled by responses to some poorly worded exit polls..." storyline.

...seems like fair fight, to me. ;-)

Have at it, you two. Me an the bumbster had a great time this afternoon!

robbovius

Dec 15, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #174 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It's also synonomous with driveling and pointless...but, hey, why split hairs :!: :?: :lol:

Oh look! pinktricam brought the dictionary from his ALTERNATE REALITY with him! kewl.

petsfed

Dec 15, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #175 of 180 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If by insipid you mean contentless, then stupid starts to make sense, but why use such a vague (and frankly feckless) word like "insipid" when you can easily use "asinine" "unsound" "fatuous" "vaccuous" "vapid" "imbecilic" or (if you stick with "insipid" as "without content") "prosaic" "anemic" or even "trite"?

The english language offers omnifarious occasions for obfuscation!

/edit for punctuation and to emphasize my employment of slant rhyme and alliteration. My old english teacher swoons as we speak.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook