Jack's Canyon access
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roc-dude
Deleted

Dec 16, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Jack's Canyon access  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Jacks_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be near Jack's canyon over Christmas break and want to know if temps are generally warm enough to climb and camp? I have heard that some northen AZ areas are closed or just plain tooo cold to climb this time of the year.

Thanks for the Beta.

crimpandgo

Dec 16, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jack's Canyon access [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Temps will be COLD this time of year. Jack's is at 6500-7000 feet. There has been alot of snow lately, but the temps warmed up a bit lately so the snow may have melted.

Check www.weatherchannel.com and use Winslow as the closest city.

My guess is you can climb if its sunny, but camping is gonna be bitter :)

jcinco

Dec 16, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to live in Albq, NM and would climb there regularly in winter. I've climbed at Jacks in November, December, January, and February before, and the conditions were usually fine. In fact, I generally preferred Jacks in the colder months, and avoided it like the plague in the summer. If the sun is out, you will be able to climb.

Nights are cold, of course, but usually no colder than the teens. Great sitting around the fire weather. Bring firewood, as the hordes have pretty well stripped the surrounding one mile radius of any combustible material.

Take this with a grain of salt, though, as my idea of climbable winter conditions (45 and sunny is perfect!) is probably a tad different from most of the people from PHX and Tuscon.

rmiller

Dec 16, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in a pair of shorts, and got overheated, last weekend at a place near there, so the temps are fine.

climbsomething

Dec 16, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Take this with a grain of salt, though, as my idea of climbable winter conditions (45 and sunny is perfect!) is probably a tad different from most of the people from PHX and Tuscon.
Uhhhh, yeah ;) Teens? Homie don't play that. But to each his own.

The Pit is good if it's sunny (the crags mostly face south), and you may find the Overlook ok too. Just beware of icy trails and cold belay hangs.

Northern AZ is climbable year-round if you're strategic, although it is a generally fair statement to say that this is the off-season. But you may get lucky!

rmiller

Dec 16, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The Pit is good if it's sunny (the crags mostly face south), and you may find the Overlook ok too. Just beware of icy trails and cold belay hangs.

Northern AZ is climbable year-round if you're strategic, although it is a generally fair statement to say that this is the off-season. But you may get lucky!

As long as people keep believing this, winter climbing in northern AZ will remain great! Well, if great and Arizona climbing can actually be used in the same sentence without laughing!

climbsomething

Dec 16, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

As long as people keep believing this, winter climbing in northern AZ will remain great! Well, if great and Arizona climbing can actually be used in the same sentence without laughing!
hehe. Well, if you climb at the Homestead, maybe you can say it with a straight face! :P Good times, that Homestead.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook