RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

rocknut1

Dec 17, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Munising / UP Ice conditions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone been up to the great white north yet this season?
Wet fall, lots of snow.......cold temps = fat ice
Hopefully the weather stays consistent and everything does not come tumbling down like early last season.

And yes I know of all the sites.............I want it first hand if its out there.

climbhoser

Dec 17, 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: Munising / UP Ice conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, I haven't been o'er pictured rocks area yet...I live in Marquette, but I'm heading there on Sunday. All I knows is that the wee stuff around Marquette is frozen, including the weeping wall and the backside of Sugarloaf. PM me so I remember your screenname, and I'll PM you back after I check it out on Sunday.

Looks to be a good one, eh? I'm assuming it's all in, but pretty damn cold and brittle...just the way I like it

jbell2355

Dec 17, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning to climb in Munising in the morning, but I'm not sure that the ice is in. It isn't normally fat this early and we haven't had a very cold fall/early winter. I have a buddy going to check on the ice tonight, and if it looks good I'll let you know. By the way, I'm in Ishpeming if anyone is looking for partners.

jbell2355

Dec 18, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed in Munising today. The ice is very thin. There was only one small line at the Curtains that was climbable. Very little ice was reaching the ground. The Dryer Hose is not in and will need 1-2 weeks. I would not recommend making much of a road trip to go there now. Better wait 1-3 weeks. It is supposed to be really cold the next few days, so it might be sooner.

I would be happy to e-mail pictues so you can see for yourself. Just PM me.

sirjohn

Dec 24, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your not too far away so check these places out. You should know about them.

AGAWA CANYON: The trestle is pretty damm thin on the left side with the first piece of Pro at 140 feet. Right side has more ice.It did not matrter at -25 F!! Skukum has the lower wall in good shape.Don's falls is fine to climb. The river is not frozen so dont cross anywhere. MILE 92: Sure the ice is forming but is not worth the trip as of yet. Comfortably Numb is good for the first pitch. Dont cross the BAY, it is not frozen yet! The main pillar on Steps to Rama has formed, and will offer a variation to the start this year. MILE 38:Keetes is climbable but thin. Dutch Treat is the only climb worth doing. CERRO DE HIELO: Stevie Aye John is in good shape and just enough ice for 17 cm screws. The ice up high on the Transverse Mercator Wall has formed an is climbable. No ice has touched down on the Wall of Shame, Sorrow, or Sinn.
Email me if you need more beat or the snowmachine shuttle- info@northofsuperiorclimbing.com

jbell2355

Dec 24, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed Munising again yesterday at Twin Falls. Ice is still thin, but getting fatter. It is still cold...near zero farenheit for a few days now.

rocknut1

Jan 4, 2005, 6:32 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone been up since new years?
Down in Southeast Wisconsin we have had a few good late December thunder storms come through and drop a few inches of nice warm rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Well.
The local spots are not going yet, a road trip is in my future
Any Info would be great.

Partner euroford

Jan 4, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've blocked out the dates February 3-7 to be up in Munsing for some ice, though thats quite a bit off and a time when i think all the ice would be formed up, i'd still appreciate hearing some reports back on the conditions from the locals, thanks in advance!

to summerize; bump

jbell2355

Jan 4, 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning to climb on Thursday and Sunday and I'll give you a report afterwards. I climbed north of the Sault this weekend and it was great. The ice was still thin, but climbable.

I hope you're aware that Ice Fest is that weekend (Feb 3-6). This can be very good or bad depending on your outlook. There will be several pros here and a lot of slideshows, but a lot of climbers and clinics too. Here is the link to this year's Ice Fest brochure http://www.downwindsports.com/ice_fest_05.pdf. One note, although Sue Nott was expected to be here this year, she won't. She will be back next year though. Word has it that the Michigan Ice Fest is the 2nd or 3rd largest in the country...its pretty cool.

Partner euroford

Jan 5, 2005, 3:52 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't realize until after my post that we had made plans coninciding with the fest. i went once 3 years ago and 4 years ago, the only two times i've really had a chance to climb waterfall ice. now this year with my own tools and a psych to get really into this it will be fun to be back again.

considering this is my first season with a real intention to get serious about ice i don't plan on leading yet, so it will be cool being at a spot where a bunch of poeple will have topropes setup. will help maximize my pitches during our overall short climbing season.

thanks for the info!

btw: anybody know where the choice spots are to crash while we are up there??

jbell2355

Jan 7, 2005, 2:42 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed in Munising by headlamp tonight at the Curtains. The ice is MUCH fatter that it was 2 weeks ago. There are a lot of pillars all the way to the ground and several routes that are climbable. I know that Twin Falls and the Dryer Hose are in and I will be climbing down the lakeshore on Sunday and will provide more beta then.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook