Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alwaysforward

Dec 21, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #1 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

University of Calgary Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm starting to look into transfering out of the lowlands to finish my undergrad degree, but I want to stay in Canada.

University of Calgary seems like the best option in terms of managing/maximizing both school and climbing time. I've taken a look at the websites and done a fair amount of research but I wanted to know more about the climbing scene. If anyone has any experience climbing here I would appreciate any information or anecdotes.

Big scene?
How do people get themselves out to Canmore/Banff area?
Hardcore or laid back in general?
Purely boulderers or a mix of climbers?
How are their guiding programs?

And about the university:
About how big is it? Hard to get a feel on their website - could you compare it's size to any Southern ON schools?
Student population?
Is there a student housing ghetto or is it a free-for-all? Expensive?
I'll be looking at a degree in PoliSci so anyone with experience in that direction?

And how about the city?
Do you like living in Calgary? What's the atmosphere like there?
Bars? Girls? :wink:
Public transportation any good?

etc etc

Any help at all is welcome.

dead_milkman

Dec 21, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #2 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Re: University of Calgary Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Big scene?

Yes and no...

In reply to:
How do people get themselves out to Canmore/Banff area?

With a car... either have one or have a partner with one... or you're hooped.

In reply to:
Hardcore or laid back in general?

All of the above... certainly not as unfriendly as some

In reply to:
Purely boulderers or a mix of climbers?

The bouldering around here is not the envy of the world. Crowsnest past is a long ways away, as is Cathedral Forest... The Big Rock is a 45 minute drive from the U of C, as is White Buddha. Rocks in the city (three of them?) are small and mostly uninspiring. There are, however, lively soprt, trad, ice, mixed, and alpine scenes!

In reply to:
How are their guiding programs?

To be guided? Not the greatest... better off hiring someone through Yamnuska, or finding a private guide.

In reply to:
And about the university:
About how big is it? Hard to get a feel on their website - could you compare it's size to any Southern ON schools?
Student population?
Is there a student housing ghetto or is it a free-for-all? Expensive?
I'll be looking at a degree in PoliSci so anyone with experience in that direction?

I think there are about 20,000 students... housing is simple to find around the university if you don't mind a roomate (I think you should be able to find something around $400 per month all inclusive... I have some friends with poli-sci degrees from U of C, but have no experience myself, so hopefully someone will be able to help you out there. The university itself is facing some budget problems, so hopefully that will work itself out without damaging too many programs.

In reply to:
And how about the city?
Do you like living in Calgary? What's the atmosphere like there?
Bars? Girls? :wink:
Public transportation any good?

I like Calgary... some times more than others. Small town feel. Everyone is rich... or thinks that they are... lots of moms driving SUVs... we're not called the Texas of Canada for no reason. And our premier for life is an asshole. There are plenty of bars... something should suit your tastes... and plenty of gals... again, someone should suit your tastes. Public transit sucks. Unless you are near a train line and are going some place near a train line.

Hope that helps...

DM

qpang

Dec 21, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #3 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The U of C also has a pretty cool climbing wall. Made with concrete and natural rocks for holds, not just all plastic, and there are lots of cracks, so you can even practice placing gear there. The climbing scene is pretty good here I would say, there is pretty much anything you could possibly want all within an hour or two.

kman

Dec 21, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #4 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calgary sucks. It's only an hour from Canmore though. This is coming from some one that was born and raised in the Vancouver area though, so my opinion is quite biased.

winter

Dec 21, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was not born and raised in Calgary, but have been living here for close to ten years and went to Uof C.
I love Calgary, it has everything you could ever ask for.
Plus's of the city:
-Within an hour drive of excellent climbing and skiing. In the summer I climb on average 4 days a week, 3 of which are weeknights after work. Unfortunately the one good, close ski resort (Fortress) closed this year but you are still within a 2 hour drive of great places and a 3 hour drive of outstanding places (kicking horse and castle). Of course you can hit up the backcountry to your heart's desire as well.
-In the city there is a ton to do, our symphony is pretty good and it's the safest city I've ever lived in. There are all types of bars, from trendy expensive better have fake tits to banger galore with kareoke. The Den on campus is a standby if you go to UofC.
-Housing is affordable, if you are going to be here for more than a year you should buy a place. Renting in a city that is booming like this is kind of a waste. You are guaranteed to make good cake.
-The weather. While you are at -18 this week out east with ice storms we are at a nice -5. The downside is that there isn't enough snow in the city and the rinks don't stay frozen all winter because it's not consistantly cold enough. The summers aren't that warm either which makes gardening challenging.
-Calgary has the second most number of sunlight days in N america. It kicks ass.
-I never had any problems with transit when I rode it, but get a car if you want to go to the mountains.
UofC:
-I went there but was a science major so don't know about your field.
-The campus doesn't have nice old buildings like the schools out east. It does have amazing gym facilities. The oval, the climbing wall and bouldering wall.
-I liked UofC, some people think it's too big.

Good luck.
Oh, and the chicks are hot, but not snoby like the ones out east. :P

cliffraven

Dec 23, 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #6 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kman: Calgary Sux?? HAHAHA!

I really wouldn't go that far as to say it sux here. I heart calgary to no end just because I love my mountains and I'm so close, and there are so many great pubs to hang out with friends...So unlike my buddy Kman, I feel like i have the best of both worlds. Yes, if I were to find a good paying job in Canmore I would by all means live 'in' the mountains, but right now it's pretty good here.

Really that's all i have to say, I just had to razz kman and defend whatever honour Calgary has after it's image was shattered momentarily...haha!

Merry Christmas,
-e-

rendog

Dec 23, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

little -e-

aside from you hon, the only good thing to come out of Calgary is the road to Canmore

:tinfoilhat:

kman

Dec 23, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #8 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
heart calgary to no end just because I love my mountains and I'm so close,...

Still an hour drive away though http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/tongue/pbbt.gif

In reply to:
the only good thing to come out of Calgary is the road to Canmore

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that just made me tinkle http://instagiber.net/...om/theyareontome.gif gotta go.

alwaysforward

Dec 24, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #9 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kman, too bad that you don't like Calgary but how about being constructive with it - WHY don't you like it?

I realize it's not Canmore, but the thing is, Canmore has no university. I'm looking for the best balance between school and climbing - can you think of a better place than UofC?

Ideally in 3 years or so I'd like to have both a BA and a fairly extensive set of technical skills. Maybe then I'll go to Canmore but for now that's just not an option.

kman

Dec 24, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #10 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WHY don't you like it?

It's to burt looking in the summer. Too yellow. It's not a very aesthetic city. It's too far from the mountains.

rendog

Dec 24, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #11 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
WHY don't you like it?

It's to burt looking in the summer. Too yellow. It's not a very aesthetic city. It's too far from the mountains.

but don't forget kev, the guy is asking about cities with a university. and as much as I dislike Cowtown, it does have a good unversity at the UofC. good outdoor programs and that kinda stuff.

If canmore had some comparable, I'm sure the guy would be all over it, but in the mean time, Calgary would be a good option to go to school. Better than Vancity BY FAR!!!

kman

Dec 24, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #12 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Calgary would be a good option to go to school.

I seem to have been ignoring that part. All I can say is that I took a course at the U of C and if you are single and male then that's the place you want to be.

slavetogravity

Dec 24, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #13 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calgary is the Azshole of the earth. Come to Vancouver. Sure it rains like a bastard in the winter, but at least you don't have to shovel it. If you go to North Vancouver you'll be 40min from the best climbing and bouldering in Canada. Squamish rocks. In theory you can climbing/boulder there all year long. Meanwhile Calgary's colder then a coal miners ass, which is why the Canadian rocks host the best ice climbing on earth. If you like Ice climbing them go to Calgary, but if rock climbing is what your after then BC is your best option.
Only problem is, the rent’s more expensive.

alwaysforward

Dec 24, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #14 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's wrong with Calgary rock? The limestone sport is supposed to be world class, and where you can't really beat the long alpine routes. I can live with Squamish being a holiday spot. You've got to realize in Guelph I'm half an hour from the Niagara Escarpment and an hour from the Niagara Glen. They're pretty much bunk. Not to mention no ice, no Rockies, no walls etc etc

At any rate, Calgary's proximity to Canmore is the big feature. I would consider getting a beater car if it was essential - and you're all saying it is?. Save my penny's.

The way I look at it, a city is a city is a city. I've lived in Toronto, Ottawa and Guelph and had great times everywhere. The people make places for me. Also, a BA is a BA is a BA so I'm not worried about teh quality of education at UofC.

To be blunt, all I really need from Calgary, outside of a good climbing community (so, is there a great climbing community here or what????) is classes, bars, girls and friends, and I doubt I will find a real shortage here. Aesthetics, fine dining, and all the other nuances that make cities different pretty much go right over my head.

I guess the only other option is UBC - Considering the above, do you think this is a better choice than UofC for getting in top climbing/education concurrently?

My biggest question really is about the climbing scene - where I'm am now, climbing is pronounced bouldering and I haven't found a partner with similar interests and motivations, let alone an abundance of them. Will I be able to find them at UofC? I've heard so much about the climbing communities of schools such as Boulder - is there any similarity to UofC?

kman

Dec 25, 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #15 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only problem is, the rent’s more expensive

Not my experience at all!!!

eagleseyre

Dec 25, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #16 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you gather enough #4's(?) I think you can climb the Social science building so I hear :)

cliffraven

Dec 26, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #17 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
little -e-

aside from you hon, the only good thing to come out of Calgary is the road to Canmore
:tinfoilhat:

d...i will take that compliment and run!! I guess there's no arguing from the girl gallery! I have to admit that the men here suck compared to Canmore and surrounding area...(most of them...other then my climbing buddies...haha...i'm trying to dig myself out while making my point!) but I have no comment in the girl department because i don't check chix out!

Calgary's great, you'll love it...it's all of who you meet and how you make it. Oh, and if you're look'n for the ladies, it's all about beer.

aaaaaannd GO!

-e-

broesel

Dec 27, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #18 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who wants to go to school while he can go to the mountains anywyas?
Ah, I forgot the whole education, money and long term perspective thing. I suppose UofC is then probably your best option...
But what do I know?

kman

Dec 27, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #19 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
who wants to go to school while he can go to the mountains anywyas?
Ah, I forgot the whole education, money and long term perspective thing. I suppose UofC is then probably your best option...
But what do I know?

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who purposely jumps on multi-pitch trad routes in the pissing rain :lol:

winter

Jan 4, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #20 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh just one more thing on the Calgary vs. Vancouver thing. First, I've spent a good portion of the last 2 years in Vancouver so it's not like I haven't been there.
If you like 24hrs of darkness and clouds that you could reach up and touch all winter than Vancouver is the city for you. Sure the mountains are closer km wise, but can you get to them? You also need a car to climb in squamish and if you don't live on the north shore you could sit in traffic trying to cross the bridge for 2 hours which makes climbing on weekday eves impossible. Here I am climbing within an hour of leaving work downtown. If you go to UBC living in north vancouver would be foolish, because to get to school you would have to get across that damn bridge, or ride transit for over an hour.
Let's also talk about the garbage. Calgary is clean, safe and has great dining, shopping and bars. In Van city (or Toronto for that matter) you get to deal with crazy people, junkies and garbage. Garbage everywhere.
Actually, the more time I spend in other cities, the more I realise that there is no where else I'd like to live. Scary.

jumpingrock

Jan 4, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #21 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh come now Winter... Toronto isn't THAT bad ;)

bustloose

Jan 4, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #22 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, ignore the 'Canmorons' as they are quite well known in those parts. I have spent a fair bit of time up in Canada, both in Calgary and in Canmore. Calgary has a couple of great gyms for the winter months, good people, a good scene. Canmore has one accptable bouldering gym for the winter months, and is full to the freaking brim with poseurs and 'rock jocks'. guys who only ride their full suspension downhill bikes to work and back, who claim to be super hard core because they live a staggering 48 minutes closer to the mountains... wow, be still my beating heart. just look through some of these guys posts, sad really. I enjoyed my time in Alberta climbing in the mountains with Calgary people, not canmorons.

not saying that i'm the only one you should listen to, just saying that you need a more even perspective on the whole situation.

kman

Jan 4, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #23 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, ignore the 'Canmorons' as they are quite well known in those parts.
And just how am I "quite well known" in these parts?...I have not even lived here long. Or are you refering to all "Canmorons"?

kman

Jan 4, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #24 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Canmore has one accptable bouldering gym for the winter months, and is full to the freaking brim with poseurs and 'rock jocks'.

Lots of those at any gym you go to. I have met some very talented climbers at the gym here.

In reply to:
just look through some of these guys posts, sad really.

Yeah...really sad :lol:

In reply to:
I enjoyed my time in Alberta climbing in the mountains with Calgary people, not canmorons

Too bad you are one of those types of people that form a personal opinion of some one you have never met in person based on where some one lives. Now THAT is sad. I have climbed with people from Calgary and Canmore...and let me tell you all of them were great. Doesn't matter where some one lives.

rendog

Jan 5, 2005, 1:48 AM
Post #25 of 44 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose

you my friend are an egotistical, elitist, self absorbed, obtuse, little snot.

have you've ever even takin the time to come out to the Vsion?

Are you trying to tell me that the Stronghold or the CCC does NOT have
In reply to:
poseurs and 'rock-jocks'
jesus christ you calgarian dip$hit, no fukin wonder city fags such as yourself aren't welcome in canmore.

thank christ you live in calgary, Canmore has enough assholes (and yes these are know as canmorons), one more and we be over our quota and have to start euthanizing some

as for those guys who ride thier full suspension mtn bike to work, when you have a $hit ass job at minimum wage, and you love mtn biking as much as they do...those bikes cost more than a car. Aside from Boulder CO, it's the only place I've seen a 6000$ bike on top of a 200$ car. Go get in your SUV and go somewhere else dick

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook