Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

downsouth

Dec 16, 2004, 1:11 AM
Post #26 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Re: unwelcome creepy crawlies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
solution: stick to hard crimping routes, you'll never stick your hand into anything that way. :righton:

That's why I only date skinny women.

Thats bizarre ..

onsight_endorphines

Dec 16, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #27 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
7' long copperhead sunning himself in the middle of the trail

I believe the record length for this type of snake is 4.5 feet...

In reply to:
a racoon had somehow managed to make its way in there and obviously couldn't get back out since it was rotting and I had just stuck my fingers into its abdomen.

Hang on let me vomit..........god..........I'd take a spider bite over that any day. Well, on second thought maybe not.

Here are the centipede pics (that suck, but oh well...)

http://dave.golfbuddys.com/.../Centipede/img_1.jpg
http://dave.golfbuddys.com/.../Centipede/img_2.jpg

lostdog

Dec 16, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #28 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um, yeah, those are quite gross, glad i've never encountered one. and yes the racoon thing is about the most awful thing i've ever heard, aside from a tumor w/ teeth. :wtf:

Partner melodicllama

Dec 16, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #29 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: thats incredibly disturbing...i wudnt go back to that crag anytime soon

kafish

Dec 16, 2004, 3:32 AM
Post #30 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

once had a bat start chirping at me when i stuck my fingers into a pocket that was its home. Needless to say i moved off that hold fast and was so motivated that it became my hardest flash of the time.

saltamonte

Dec 16, 2004, 3:43 AM
Post #31 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in san lorenzo canyon we have a route named "lagartija" which means "lizard" it is named after a lizard who lives in one of the cracks on the route. I think he is getting used to climbers he just hunkers back in the crack and watches you go by with your fingers in his living room.

Partner melodicllama

Dec 18, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #32 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At one of my local crags we have a huge, like seriously must be 4-6 inches wide, Spider that is kinda a resident, hes been there awhile, you just have to know where he lives

his name is curt...no ill will meant just a badge of honor :wink:

irockclimbtoo

Dec 19, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #33 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

mattb

Dec 19, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #34 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys have no idea how incredibly disturbing I find all of this. I'm very afraid of spiders, but I love climbing. I;m a beginner and I haven't touched real rock yet! This is bumming me out. God damn that bastard Curt is 4-6 in. wide! Crimping him seems like a life and death situation to me.

arsenalcrater

Dec 19, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #35 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was dark, as we had no idea how to get to Mt. Stapleton from Halls Gap. We did finally find the campground at about 10 p.m. and the camp site by the small cliff looked ideal. So, set up tent and catch some zzzzz's. Up bright and early in the morning to check out some Grampian rock, and low and behold, the cliff we are camping right next to is completly covered with funnel webs.

irockclimbtoo

Dec 21, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #36 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

insert_cool_name_here

Dec 21, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #37 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You guys have no idea how incredibly disturbing I find all of this. I'm very afraid of spiders, but I love climbing. I;m a beginner and I haven't touched real rock yet! This is bumming me out. God damn that bastard Curt is 4-6 in. wide! Crimping him seems like a life and death situation to me.

Don't worry about the spiders. They are as much afraid of us as we are of them. They usually tend to run away unless they know they can take you down(sike). Climbing outside is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy worth it

shh your going to scare him into the gym for life! *shudder*

irockclimbtoo

Dec 21, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #38 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

paige

Dec 21, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #39 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I almost grabbed a millipeed as a hold. it scared me just a bit, ok alot

Partner bonz1c4

Jan 5, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #40 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Don't worry about the spiders. They are as much afraid of us as we are of them. They usually tend to run away unless they know they can take you down(sike). Climbing outside is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy worth it

shh your going to scare him into the gym for life! *shudder*

That just means more space on the rock for the rest of us :D

artsylady567

Jan 18, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #41 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u stick your hand in a crack and 15 daddy long legs come out swarm all over your hand

Partner crgwhe

Jan 18, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #42 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I sit here, board in my own room in my own house, reading these posts, I glance to my right and there is a large harry spider with the leg span of a large tea cup plate, looking in my direction. Am I nervious about this encounter? Not at all.
Kiwi is an adult female Argentinea rose tarantula Grammostola grossa that was given to me for fathers day by goofyc about seven years ago. Once afraid of any type of spider, I have learned that alot of irrational fear is caused by uneducation. As a member of the American Tarantula Society I have learned which type of arachnids can harm humans and which can't, which ones are likely to attack and which would rather retreat even when trapped or injured.
The key is to not freak. Arachnids really don't like the feel of human skin and will run off flesh which scares alot of people. Especially when their direction happends to be across the face. Hilarious to observe though.

jcshaggy

Jan 25, 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #43 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I crushed something once while holding onto a grip.Didn't really want to find out what it was. I also felt guilty......nahhh!!!!

tradbum

Feb 12, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #44 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOTE: I'm bored on a rainy Saturday and trying to avoid housework!

Funnel webs are nasty, as are Red Back (Black Widows), but in general if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. The hard part is that you generally don't expect to find them and neither do they...

We've got a monster rattler (Western DBack) at a local crag that's probably the gentlest damn snake I've ever seen. I don't have big hands, but I do wear a size large glove, and his head is close to the size of my fist. "Fat Boy" crawled within about 2" of my feet one day when I was belaying my 240", hang-dogging boss, and couldn't move. He just slid right by and didn't seem to give a %$#& that I was there.

My worst/funniest/life learning experience was with a scorpion. I was 16 and working as a roughneck on a drilling rig in West Texas. Being low man on the totem pole, I had the job of scrubbing the deck after pipe changes. I got done and shut off the water and BAM...BAM...a big daddy scorpion nailed me on the hand 2x. It scared the crap outta' me and I fell backwards off the deck; the derrickman saw it and got the operator to shut down the rig. Now we're talking about a bunch of West Texas "good 'ol boys", so they had fun (as a scorpion sting is rarely fatal)...They took me to the doghouse (a trailer where you can eat, snooze, shower, etc., it's welcome on a remote drilling site), and proceeding to feed me Bud and Wild Turkey. Meanwhile my hand had ballooned up and for some reason I was feeling a bit dizzy. Just before I passed out the operator said: "Boy, is there anything you want us to tell your parents?" Uh, why? "Because we ain't got time to get you to a doctor."

Being young, impressionable and %$#*faced, I passed out.

I woke up the next morning with an ice pack on my hand, a splitting headache, and 7 old-time drillers laughing their asses off.

Then I was handed coffee and told to get back to work.

Now my rant:

Living, working, climbing in the mountains (as opposed to gyms, which my wife hates because of all the trouser snakes), you run into nature. Get over it.

So here are Smitty's not-so-simple rules of thumb: your dog will get sprayed by a skunk and jump in your bag, you'll have to pull porcupine needles out of her nose; for some reason, porcupines like to eat outhouses; leeches like frog legs - leeches like your privates too; frogs do not like M-80's (I still feel bad about that...), you'll have snakes scare the living beejezus outta' ya; warm marmot %$# is nasty, (but not as nasty as the marmot that left it); marmots and .357 hollow points do not agree; if you run into an unavoidable situation with a snake, put your foot up (a snake can't bite a flat surface); a black widow bite will make you sick - for about 8 hours - have a few beers & Vitamin M and sleep it off; rattlesnakes do taste like chicken, just a different texture; cottonmouths suck, as do black snakes, taipans & two-steps - rattlesnakes are good because they warn you; blue-tongue lizards will scare the crap out of you; don't let a cow dog chase a kangaroo (you'll end up with a dead dog and kangaroo is the nastiest smelling/tasting/toughest meat on earth! Wallabee stew is OK though); if you're gonna' kill something, other than insects (I will not feel guilty for killing flies or mosquitoes), be prepared to eat it; wolverines are not friendly, ferrets can be, and llamas spit - a lot.

Climbers and ranchers are the people I want to spend my time with; the rest of them, well, I'd rather stand in a warm cow pie than listen to the one trying to sell me something...

OK, time to go kiss the wife & baby and pet the dog.

Smitty

tradbum

Feb 12, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #45 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOTE: I'm bored on a rainy Saturday and trying to avoid housework!

Funnel webs are nasty, as are Red Back (Black Widows), but in general if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. The hard part is that you generally don't expect to find them and neither do they...

We've got a monster rattler (Western DBack) at a local crag that's probably the gentlest damn snake I've ever seen. I don't have big hands, but I do wear a size large glove, and his head is close to the size of my fist. "Fat Boy" crawled within about 2" of my feet one day when I was belaying my 240", hang-dogging boss, and couldn't move. He just slid right by and didn't seem to give a %$#& that I was there.

My worst/funniest/life learning experience was with a scorpion. I was 16 and working as a roughneck on a drilling rig in West Texas. Being low man on the totem pole, I had the job of scrubbing the deck after pipe changes. I got done and shut off the water and BAM...BAM...a big daddy scorpion nailed me on the hand 2x. It scared the crap outta' me and I fell backwards off the deck; the derrickman saw it and got the operator to shut down the rig. Now we're talking about a bunch of West Texas "good 'ol boys", so they had fun (as a scorpion sting is rarely fatal)...They took me to the doghouse (a trailer where you can eat, snooze, shower, etc., it's welcome on a remote drilling site), and proceeding to feed me Bud and Wild Turkey. Meanwhile my hand had ballooned up and for some reason I was feeling a bit dizzy. Just before I passed out the operator said: "Boy, is there anything you want us to tell your parents?" Uh, why? "Because we ain't got time to get you to a doctor."

Being young, impressionable and %$#*faced, I passed out.

I woke up the next morning with an ice pack on my hand, a splitting headache, and 7 old-time drillers laughing their asses off.

Then I was handed coffee and told to get back to work.

Now my rant:

Living, working, climbing in the mountains (as opposed to gyms, which my wife hates because of all the trouser snakes), you run into nature. Get over it.

So here are Smitty's not-so-simple rules of thumb: your dog will get sprayed by a skunk and jump in your bag, you'll have to pull porcupine needles out of her nose; for some reason, porcupines like to eat outhouses; leeches like frog legs - leeches like your privates too; frogs do not like M-80's (I still feel bad about that...), you'll have snakes scare the living beejezus outta' ya; warm marmot %$# is nasty, (but not as nasty as the marmot that left it); marmots and .357 hollow points do not agree; if you run into an unavoidable situation with a snake, put your foot up (a snake can't bite a flat surface); a black widow bite will make you sick - for about 8 hours - have a few beers & Vitamin M and sleep it off; rattlesnakes do taste like chicken, just a different texture; cottonmouths suck, as do black snakes, taipans & two-steps - rattlesnakes are good because they warn you; blue-tongue lizards will scare the crap out of you; don't let a cow dog chase a kangaroo (you'll end up with a dead dog and kangaroo is the nastiest smelling/tasting/toughest meat on earth! Wallabee stew is OK though); if you're gonna' kill something, other than insects (I will not feel guilty for killing flies or mosquitoes), be prepared to eat it; wolverines are not friendly, ferrets can be, and llamas spit - a lot.

Climbers and ranchers are the people I want to spend my time with; the rest of them, well, I'd rather stand in a warm cow pie than listen to the one trying to sell me something...

OK, time to go kiss the wife & baby and pet the dog.

Smitty

Partner csgambill

Feb 12, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #46 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Daddy Longlegs are so thick in the Wichitas sometimes the rocks look furry - mostly inside nice cool chimney-type formations in midsummer.

Ha! :-) I was down at HCR in AK last summer, and my partner and decided to do some bouldering, but when we got to the rock we found the slightly overhanging boulder covered with Daddy Longlegs. To get rid of them I piled up a bunch of leaves under the roof and lit a fire under them! It started raining spiders. :twisted: It was great! I'm an ardent supporter of spider genocide!

tradbum

Feb 13, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #47 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TRUE/NOT TRUE?

A buddy of mine, a WFR and wilderness instructor, told me that Daddy Long legs are actually one of the most poisonous spiders around, their mouth is just too small to bite us...

BS or not?

Smitty

Partner csgambill

Feb 13, 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #48 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
TRUE/NOT TRUE?

A buddy of mine, a WFR and wilderness instructor, told me that Daddy Long legs are actually one of the most poisonous spiders around, their mouth is just too small to bite us...

BS or not?

Smitty

Your buddy either doesn't know what he's talking about or wants to scare you. The daddy long-legs "spiders" most of us are talking about, http://www.enature.com/...imageID=18630&view=1 aren't even spiders. They belong to the Order Opiliones. True spiders belong to the Order Araneae. There are a whole bunch of "spiders" out there that people refer to as Daday Longlegs. You could probably eat a whole crag full of Daddy Long-legs for lunch, instead of ham for a change, and probably be fine. Who knows that may be a new challenge for Fear Factor.

lucas_timmer

Feb 14, 2005, 1:40 PM
Post #49 of 50 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oce, I was at Bass Point in Cornwall England and there was a route which you could only climb with hand and footjams.The nasty fact wa there were bugs cralling all over the crack :shock:

jackhammer

Feb 14, 2005, 1:43 PM
Post #50 of 50 (4311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snakes and Spiders suck. One day, I was about to send...when a snake appeared before me. I jumped back so far...I jumped right off the rock.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook