RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

mikedano

Jun 10, 2002, 6:05 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

South Platte CO closed???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just read in the paper today they have closed all of Pike's Peak national forest because of fire danger for the entire summer.

Does anyone know if this affects any climbing areas? And if so, which ones?

mikedano

Jun 11, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

South Platte CO closed??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just nabbed this from climbingboulder.com:

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.5(a) and CFR 9212.2(a), all lands administered by the Pike National Forest and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in the following counties: Douglas, Jefferson, Park, Teller, and El Paso are closed for all uses.

Persons are prohibited from being on, or driving on any National Forest or BLM lands. Included in this order are the following prohibitions.

Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal grill, coal or wood burning stove (36 CFR 261.50(a).

Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building (36 CFR 261.52(d).

Using an explosive (36 CFR 261.52(h)0.

Pursuant to 36 CFR 26.50(3) the following persons are exempt from this order:

-Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.

-Owners or lessees of land in the area.

-Residents that require access through the Pike National Forest and BLM lands in the above listed counties.

-Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty. Persons engaged in a permitted business, trade, or occupation that require access through the Pike National Forest and BLM lands in the above listed counties.

-Persons driving through these closed public lands on open State County highways.

This order is in effect beginning 12:00 AM, MDT, June 10, 2002, and until rescinded

The question is, what areas does this entail? I'm assuming Turkey Rocks is closed, and I know the fire is getting pretty close to that area, but I don't know what all is on national forest land and what is not...

atg200

Jun 11, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like the whole South Platte is closed - I can't think of many places you can even get to without driving through national forest. Maybe some areas up by Pine are still open.

Elevenmile is also apparently closed.

mikedano

Jun 11, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard they were evacuating Pine...

I think it's safe to assume anything in the South Platte area, including Elevenmile, is closed now, but I wonder if it will remain closed for the summer...

pinto

Jun 11, 2002, 7:34 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On an interesting note, I was at Turkey Rocks when that fire started. We'd just topped out on some chimney business and saw a really narrow plume of smoke rising up by Chessman (sp?) lake. About half an hour later it was 10-20 times larger. Pretty damn wild to watch.

By the time we hiked out the fire was huge. Those seventy mile an hour winds sure came at the wrong time--must have made it all but impossible to contain that thing.

Anyway, random related comment.

killclimbz

Jun 11, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, the whole South Platte is closed. Sounds like at this point we'll be lucky if we don't see any other major closures due to the fire danger.

rck_climber

Jun 11, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've found all of the South Platte area is closed down right now to include Dome Rock, Turkey Rocks, etc. Pike National Forest is also closed down right now for the first time in history. Elevenmile Canyon appears to be open at this time, according to the Colorado State Parks Website; the backcountry camping areas, however ARE closed.

There's also a fire down by Woodse in Durango, not sure about any climbing-related closures there though. Maybe he can jump in w/ some futher information.

There's also, from what I understood on the news last night, a fire down in the Canon City area. Might effect Shelf Road, although I've not heard on it either.

Mick

Mick

killclimbz

Jun 11, 2002, 7:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eleven Mile was closed today along with a few other State Parks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook