RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climbwhatever

Dec 28, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

patching haulbags
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a Metolious haulbag with abrasion holes in the sides. Anybody know of the best way to patch them?

estwing

Dec 28, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Re: patching haulbags [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there,
I recently patched some similar holes in a day pack that was hauled. I began by sewing the holes shut, this may not be possible if the fabric that was there is gone. I then patched the holes on the outside with a similar nylon fabric. I hand stiched with a nylon thread, not worrying too much about asthetics, but going for strength. I then seam gripped the whole area on the inside of the bag.

For a haul bag I might be tempted to put the patches on the inside, as I think that they would be less likely to snag and rip again. You could hand sew with a large gauge needle and a sailors palm, (get these at a boat shop), or take the bag to a cobbler.

Cover with duct tape for that authentic big wall look.

Good luck,

ricardol

Dec 29, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

duct-tape ..

its got a light side.. and a dark side .. and it binds the universe together ..

worked pretty well on my bag.

-- ricardo

Partner holdplease2

Dec 29, 2004, 8:18 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same here, duct tape.

And if it starts to wear through or off or peel or whatever, just put more on. Mine has made it up 3 walls with the same tape on the same abrasion spots, no problem. Also, I taped the bottom of my ledge bag for extra protection, though no holes had developed. I, of course, think this was brilliant.

-Kate.

flamer

Dec 29, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duct tape is a great idea....as was mentioned....and to add to it, after you have placed the tape over the hole(s) take a lighter to it....use the lighter to heat up the tape from the outside....don't burn the tape but get it hot enough that the glue on the sticky side will heat up...this will allow an even better bond.

josh

brutusofwyde

Dec 30, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer something a little more durable (and waterproof) than duct tape.

Nylon repair tape coated with seam grip is good.

Sewing heavy nylon (ballistics nylon) over big holes, (use a speedy-stitcher for the sewing, available at any REI) then covering the whole mess with either seam grip of freesole also works well. Depending on the slickness of the haul bag material, it may be necessary to roughen the surface of the surrounding bag material, with sandpaper for example, to get the seam grip or freesole to adhere well.

Very important is skillful packing and padding of the bag in the first place to prevent those holes.

One of my bags (Howdy IId) has seen close to 20 walls and is still going strong.

Brutus, pig farmer

the_dude

Jan 5, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Brutus, packing the pig right saves a lot of trouble. To take it a step further, spend the extra time to pack it correctly each day on the wall. I find the most holes I get in my bag occur on the last day once I have given up on it. Hell, I've given up on everything at that point, I just want off. Spend the extra few minutes with the swine on the wall and you'll save yourself the hastle of repair on the ground. Also from experience, don't use ridge rests to line the bag (Duh! found that out after a few pitches). The cheap flat stuff works better. Last but not least, always bring the duct tape with.
Cheers

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook