RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner eyecannon

Jan 3, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut

Editing route names in database
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what about the ability to edit route names in the routes database, to add stars and/or correct spelling errors?

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 3, 2005, 6:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: Editing route names in database [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what about the ability to edit route names in the routes database, to add stars and/or correct spelling errors?

good question...what about it?

The entire RDB is being overhauled as we speak so hang in there - lots of improvements to come.. ;)

asandh

Jan 3, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #3 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?:

Partner tim

Jan 3, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #4 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone has a lot of spare time on their hands, there will be much opportunity for copy editing, proof reading, and adding stars/first-ascent info to pretty much every route, area, and geographic location in the database, as we switch formats and data structures in the upcoming weeks. There is a lot more room for structuring and maintaining information in the newer format, which incorporates the lessons we have learned over the past 10 years and takes note of better ideas deployed by other, locally-oriented climbing sites.

Interested parties please contact me, or Bob D'Antonio, or both... things are about to get very interesting in the routes database. After about a month of work, I think we're about ready to shake things up.

In fact, if there's anything you can think of that a 'better RoutesDB' would need, let me know.
(eg. already implemented some good ideas from SuperTopo and ClimbingBoulder)
I can't guarantee it will happen, but here's a list of what I already have implemented:

1) first ascent information
2) star ratings for routes (averaged among ascent submitters)
3) versioning of routes and areas (vandalism can be reversed)
4) copyright and license management for submitted information
5) multiple grades for a given route (eg. big walls and alpine routes) based on style
6) hierarchical organization of the routesdb (this will be deployed gradually, it's not easy)
7) association of local advocacy organizations with a geographic area or areas

Things that I want to complete before deploying everything:

1) per-Route display (one-per-page) with comments and Partners-Wanted displays
2) a working search that can limit results based on any information we have available
3) automatic daily summaries of activity in a manager's area, weekly site-wide summaries

I would post an ETA, but that's pointless; what I will do instead is post updates to What's New as things progress. Completion of the above 3 remaining items, and importation of the existing information from the current routesdb into the new structure, will complement deployment of the member-bankrolled Partners search (GeoIP) sometime this month. (Assuming I don't run into any more technical hurdles with GeoIP or the database!)

Anyone who is seriously interested in helping out, let me or Bob (or both of us) know.

Partner eyecannon

Jan 3, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #5 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to know, and to clarify my first post, I was asking if we could have that ability. I noticed that you can edit some of the info, but not the route name, unless I'm retarded and doing it wrong.

EDIT: looks like I AM retarded, I was editing my ascent instead of the actual route info. Close thread, and please kick me in the ass. :wink:

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook