RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

robbiehirsch

Jan 3, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Sandstone after the rain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,
I was wondering how long you should wait to climb on sandstone after it rains... We were planning to go to Red Rocks January 13-15 but the weather report shows it raining on and off until Jan. 10th. Is 3 days sufficient time for the rock to dry?

Thanks,
Robbie

vegastradguy

Jan 3, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Sandstone after the rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well...usually three days is enough to dry off the rock. in the winter, this can be iffy. my primary concern is not so much that it has rained, but that by the time it stops raining, it will have been raining more or less every day for about 18 days straight. (which might be a record!) The canyons currently have quite a bit of snow buildup at the higher elevations, and it'll take a few days for all of that to melt and a few more for the walls to dry off.

personally, i'm going to JTree from the 12th to the 16th to let RR dry off. I want the rock to be dry for a week before i get on it.

if you do come here, stick to the Calico Hills and Kraft Mountain; they are your best bet at getting on dry rock. I would recommend staying away from the canyons- they're going to be wet.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook