RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Jun 12, 2002, 6:48 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Rehabing soft tissue damage in knees
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know exactly what I did, but while backstepping and pushing I heard a loud pop (as did those on the ground) and got a moderate amount of swelling and mild bruising on my knee. Basically, it hurts the area surrounding the kneecap and in the kneepit. Soft tissue damage, occasional buckling of the knee while walking, etc.

This happened about a week and a half ago and I tried to rest it but ended up climbing once or twice as I was on a roadtrip and didn't want to miss out

I haven't stressed it in about 3 days now and I'm planning on staying off of it for at least another 3 days.

I'm in California for the next 5 or 6 weeks so I'd like to get back climbing ASAP, can anyone recommend some rehab exercises that I can do for my knee?

PS. if there's another topic covering this already then feel free to point it out to me, I checked a bit, but couldn't find anything

freeballn

Jun 12, 2002, 7:07 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Rehabing soft tissue damage in knees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a doctor, but I personally experianced a horrible knee injury a couple years ago. I went through tons of rehab to get it back to working solid again.

If you, and others, heard a loud pop, that does not sound good. I believe that is usually associated with a ligament damage. I would definately see a doctor as soon as you have a chance reguardless of what exercises and therapy you do in the meantime.

For swelling in my knee nothing works as well as elevation. After pushing it really hard I still get sweeling once in a while, and it always goes away if I sleep on my back with my leg up on like 3 or 4 pillows. Iceing it is also effective and important, at the height of my injury I used a machine to keep icewater running through a bladder against my knee all the time. Without a device like that, icing 15 minutes out of every hour helps greatly.

Are you able to completly extend it? Can you bend it, under your own muscle power, even with how far you can bend your good knee? Those are important for identifying what is wrong as well. A doctor can tell if there is ligament damage by moving your lower leg against the differnt axis points in your knee.

One of the most important, even though it seems silly, exercises I was told to do throughout my therapy was to sit with my legs straight in front of me and to move my kneecap backand forth to the inside and outside, and to move it up and down the line of my leg. Pause at each extent. Keeping your kneecap mobile is crucial for your knee's long term health and mobility.

I tend to not want to encourage you to do much strength training on it until you know what is or is not wrong, but what I described should only be good for it. It is your knee, so even if you don't get the most physical activity out of your trip, I think taking care to not cause more damage should be high on your mind.

Good luck healing. Let me know if you have any questions.

[ This Message was edited by: freeballn on 2002-06-12 18:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freeballn on 2002-06-13 07:26 ]

feelio

Jun 12, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glucosamine did wonders for strengthening a weak knee for me. Sounds liek you may have meniscus damage. Did you go see a doctor?

micahmcguire

Jun 14, 2002, 5:58 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SEE A DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANY PHYSICAL THERAPY! Glucosamine is never bad, but it wont heal an injury. You could require as little as a few days rest to as much as multiple operations. I'm not kidding, this can be a PERMANENTLY DISABLING injury, and is likely to bite you in the ass one day. Get a professional diagnosis from a licensed doctor before doing anything that could reinjur the knee

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook