Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rockbottom

Jan 5, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #1 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

how is this for a question?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I was just wondering how experienced climbers feel about climbing with new commers and to the experienced how a person who can climb ( top rope ) 5.8 - 5.9 seems. ( I know it's crap, but how truly crap is it? ha.ha.ha.) I noticed on the "partner" page most people seem well climbed and if I ended up climbing with them I didn't want to frustrate anyone or hold them back. I totally appreciate all the help I get but just wanted to know honestly whats going on in qualified mind.

thanks.

maculated

Jan 5, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #2 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Re: how is this for a question? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not that great of a question, since you asked.

Two answers: People hate you and people like you.

There is a fairly large contingent of climbers who think that the newcomers are ruining their routes. I've noticed it in the relatively short time I've been climbing, but climbing is the IN thing, now. Places can get messier, there are definitely lines on routes where there wasn't, etc, etc.

There are also a lot of people out there that want to encourage you. If you're truly into climbing, you'll probably find someone willing to take you on. I know i have.

curt

Jan 5, 2005, 5:08 AM
Post #3 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is really all about attitude. I thoroughly enjoy climbing with beginner climbers and imparting to them what I have learned about climbing over the last 25 years. If, on the other hand, some n00b climbers think they already know everything, I have little interest in being in their company.

Curt

anykineclimb

Jan 5, 2005, 5:16 AM
Post #4 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am, by no means, an expert in climbing. That said, I have been climbing for quite a while and enjoy taking Noobs climbing.
IMHO, there are "rules" though.

Be willing to learn.
This can usually go without saying, but I've met some people that won't welcome new ideas. Hell, YOU'RE new! all the ideas should be new!
Funniest thing I ever heard was this kid (16 or so) saying "its in the book" about his girlfriends webbing harness. which was just a sling wrapped around her waste and between her legs...

Be respectful. To the area, to your mentor. Each area has its own rules and ethics, if you will. respect them. even try to understand why its like that. As for your mentor, you should feel fortunate that someone is "showing you the ropes" listen to what they say, they've been doing it a while.

I hope I'm not coming off as some elistist snob. I really do enjoy climbing and sharing it with new people as long as the people are receptive to it.

slavetogravity

Jan 5, 2005, 5:23 AM
Post #5 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed with more people over the years then I’d care to think of. When it comes to deciding who I climb with, on any give day, I first consider the following
1. Who’s company do I enjoy?
2. Are the peoples who’s company I enjoy available?
3. If not, who’s available?
When I’m trying to find people to climb with, there climbing ability has always come second to our ability to enjoy each others company . Consequently I’ve screwed my self over climbing harder routes, but I’ve always had a good time with the people I’ve climbed with.
Secondly, I’ve gon to the crags with the intention of climbing and didn’t have a partner at the time. Sure I would have gone climbing with friends but some times there not available. So, my motto has always been. I you can’t climb with the one you love. Climb with the one your with.
So my advice to you. Stay cool. Stay available. You’ll never be lacking for someone to climb with.

PS. Bring your own rope.

Partner gunksgoer

Jan 5, 2005, 5:24 AM
Post #6 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the thing i like most about climbing with noobs is that they dont b!tch about the route youve chosen, most will just smile and say it looks like fun.

they also dont complain about the rack you select (i like bentgates more then wiregaits on the clipping ends, it needs to be my way blah blah blah)

and lastly, they carry the rope. :-D

dirtineye

Jan 5, 2005, 5:25 AM
Post #7 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing 5.8-5.9 on top rope is not bad really, especially if you can climb all the 5.8 and 5.9 out there. And if you can TR 5.9, with a little prodding and pulling you can get up 5.10. I've dragged a few friends up stuff before, it's good for em. Sometimes they find out that really can do those moves after all.

IT's fun to take beginners climbing.

I know one semi famous climber who did a route with a beginnerish 12 year old kid, and afterwards he said that he wished all his partners were as enthusiastic.

The same guy and I took a boulderer(!) trad climbing and had him third an FA, the guy was a total noob trad climber, but he loved it. We had one of us at the top to put him on rappel properly and the other at the bottom for a just in case fireman's belay backup. The kid even got to clean a few pieces since we had climbed on doubles and somehow I got to clean all the nasty gear. We all had a great time, and the kid was hooked on trad.

I think it's a geat question. IF you are getting snobbed off by people, you are just asking the wrong people or asking the wrong way, or maybe both.

rockbottom

Jan 5, 2005, 5:31 AM
Post #8 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's not that great of a question, since you asked.

Two answers: People hate you and people like you.

There is a fairly large contingent of climbers who think that the newcomers are ruining their routes. I've noticed it in the relatively short time I've been climbing, but climbing is the IN thing, now. Places can get messier, there are definitely lines on routes where there wasn't, etc, etc.

There are also a lot of people out there that want to encourage you. If you're truly into climbing, you'll probably find someone willing to take you on. I know i have.

wow, ask an honest question get an honest answer right? I love it. for your info I'm not out to "ruin routes" I'm out because of my intoxication with the mountains and need to find a manner of combining mind, body and spirit to get closer to the great white capped wonders. I agree with climbing being the "in thing" at the moment and because of that fact almost turned away from the sport. However I came to my senses and decided to not let ego pumped rock jocks ruin my fun. Booooo on them. No worries though, they will disappear as fast as they appeared. Oh and regarding places getting messier and there being lines on routes where prior there were none, make it your responsibility to educate the offenders. A lot of the time it's not intentional. One rule for polite society is not to take offence where none was intended. Kinda seems appropriate don't ya think?

spoon

Jan 5, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #9 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite climbing partners are way stronger than me or not nearly as strong as me. When I climb with guys too close to my own level there is a creepy air of competition that can sneak up on you and ruin a good day, but when you climb with partners that you can't hope to compete with that doesn't happen. I love thrashing up 11s and 12s on toprope that my friends have led for me, or putting up top ropes on 7s and 8s for my friends to try. Teaching new people is fun, and learning from your superiors is fun too.

timstich

Jan 5, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #10 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, your name is a rockin' KISS song title. You'll be fine for sure.

maculated

Jan 5, 2005, 6:58 AM
Post #11 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, rock, chill. I was being sarcastic in response to your title.

And I happen to be of the latter category of climbers that's encouraging. I was just warning you of what some people think.

cgranite

Jan 5, 2005, 7:09 AM
Post #12 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A person that climbs hard is not always experienced. It seems that you have the two meaning the same thing. For an example: Without spraying,...I can technically climb harder than some guys I know who are WAY more experienced than me. I would rather climb with a more experienced person even if he can't climb 5.12. You can't become experienced from reading a book, but instead by climbing with those with more experienced than you.
It is fun to open other people up to rock climbing though, but for me I still consider myself a student of the rock.

Another up-side to climbing with a more experienced climber is that you get to hear some great stories. :wink:

Partner hosh

Jan 5, 2005, 9:46 AM
Post #13 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the fun of climbing is that you can find yourself on either side of the fence. Depending on who I'm climbing with, I'm either the n00b or the seasoned vet. I think it's just wisest to keep an open mind and be willing to learn, no matter how much you already know or how many times you've read "Freedom of the Hills". It's more a matter of attitude than anything else. Just remember that it's dangerous to be dangerously stupid and you should be fine. (but make sure you know what you're doing, eh?)

ozgirl

Jan 5, 2005, 10:55 AM
Post #14 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a good idea to climb reasonably often with people who are more experienced climbers, as you can learn so much from them. In turn, they can learn a fair bit from you too... like teaching skills and enthusiasm. Be open minded! Climb because you love it, not because you want to prove yourself.

jcshaggy

Jan 5, 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #15 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most guys I've climbed with don't seem to mind helping out new climbers or showing them a thing or two. I still get a lot of advice from more experienced climbers.

At some point we were all there so a bit of free help is just another way of giving back to the sport you love.

blueeyedclimber

Jan 5, 2005, 1:31 PM
Post #16 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a teacher, so I enjoy climbing with new climbers. They must have the following qualities, however:

1. They can belay properly (I have climbed with "n00bs" who belay better than "experienced" climbers)
2. They are positive

I don't care if they flail up a 5.3, if they have those qualities, then i will climb with them.

Josh

livingtheedge

Jan 5, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nvm

markc

Jan 5, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #18 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Truth be told, it can depend on much on me and where I am with my climbing as much as the new person. If I'm not climbing as much as I like (which has been the case lately), I'm much more guarded with my time. I won't commit to taking a newcomer toproping if I have a chance to go to Seneca for the weekend. If I'm getting out enough, I enjoy mellow day trips to the crag. That's a perfect time to help someone else in their climbing or introduce a friend to it.

When I have taken folks out, it's much more about the individuals than their climbing level. I don't want to spend the whole day with people I don't get along with, regardless of how hard they pull down. If someone is honest and up front about their abilities, enthusiastic, and good company, it should earn partners. (This assumes there are partners to be had in your area. If you're in Florida a rosy disposition won't do much for you.)

Here's another thing that bothers me. I had a few partners who were never available. They always wanted me to call if I was going climbing, but rarely came along. If you say no more often than yes, expect the calls to drop off. The more enthusiastic and available you are, the better.

dingus

Jan 5, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #19 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just understand that not all climbers are into teaching noobs. It is by no means a universal quality. Quite the contrary, when given the choice between climbing with a regular mate OR taking a noob out for some teaching, many climbers will go out with their mate.

Don't hold it against them. Not everyone is wired to teach. Not everyone has unlimited climbing time.

Whereas a few definitely are teachers and may frequently elect to go out with the noob. Or two. Or more.

One thing that can cause friction is showing up with noob in tow to crag with a regular partner without telling her in advance you're bringing along someone new.

DMT

uasunflower

Jan 5, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #20 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think gender is relevant too. Bening a girl, it is much easier in the beginning to find plenty of people willling to show you all those knots and metal twinkling things. However as the time goes by it becomes harder to find a regular partner desiring to be a witness to your progress. If you're a guy, it's harder to get your foot in the door in the beginning, but then there are more partners willing to go out there with you when you get to a decent level. Maybe because it's just less controversial for a guy to ask another guy to go climbing. From a girl it might sometimes be taken as an unintended "let's make out" proposal.

keinangst

Jan 5, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just a sling wrapped around her waste and between her legs...

So did he girth hitch, clove hitch, or slip knot the feces? (I love typos.)

greengoblin

Jan 5, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #22 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever level you climb at, there will most likely be climbers with more experience. If you are sincerely interested in climbing and want to climb more, you will find there are plenty of like-minded people around who would enjoy the chance to share their experience with you.

kafish

Jan 5, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #23 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like someone said before, I think it was Curt, Its all about attitude. I was taken in by a couple of people about two years ago and they taught me so much and were just psyched because i was progressing fast and eager to learn. I guess it didn't hurt that they were also friends of mine through skating and work.

Now I am getting to that point where some new guys have asked to come out with me and my partners and it can be cool or a hassle. I think if the climber is willing to progress and take advice and listen then it is a great experience, otherwise it seems like a waste of time.

davidji

Jan 5, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #24 of 26 (3719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The question is OK. What sux is the subject line (currently "how is this for a question?). Why not put the either the subject, or a synopsis of your post in the subject field? For example, "Do experienced climbers like climbing with noobs?"

johnnord

Jan 6, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #25 of 26 (3415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At our best, we are a tribe. I've taught 13 year-old kids who now lead 5.12+, and they graciously offer to play ropegun to this old man. I've never, and never will, climbed beyond 5.10. It was a great honor recently to belay one of my "kids" while he was working a 5.14d project. It's really not much different from any other intergenerational relationship. People that are fun to be with are fun to be with. Skill levels and experience are not obstacles. I still have something to offer to the new climbers, and I enjoy their enery and enthusiasm. Recently I attended an American Alpine Club gathering where the age and skill range was considerable. There were "legends" present and "nobodies"; old and young. We all had great day hanging out at the crag.
John

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook