Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Jan 6, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #76 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rappel backup? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jay: What is Sterling's website?
John

http://www.sterlingrope.com

You need Flash, and it loads slowly.

-Jay

el_jerko

Jan 6, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #77 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Danpayne

I will clarify so that you will understand the “backup knot nonsense”: If I was rapping and testing a backup (the subject of my post) I would tie into the rope. If I were still testing and used up my slack I would tie in again. I am not suggesting that I regularly back up my raps by tying in nor would I suggest that others do so. I would agree that is a bit tricky to keep your belay device locked off while re-tying into the rope. I can tie in and out of a locker with one hand using clove hitches, but I am good with my hands as my girlfriend can testify. However, if you are testing a friction knot to see if it will lock your belay device (the subject of my post) and it does hold you, you can fiddle with the ropes with both hands. In my suggestion I stated that the slack be pulled up and second tie in completed before the first one is released for obvious safety reasons.

Another option: rather than fiddling with friction knots, mule knots, or stuntman air bags there is a very quick and easy way to get both hands free while rapping. I do not know if this is a standard practice or not but I have been doing it for many years. When I am rapping and want to free both hands for whatever reason what I do is wrap the rope around my right leg several times. It is very secure and locks up my belay device. Eventually the loss of circulation gets to be a problem, but there is plenty of time to tie into the rope if that is what you were doing. Try it, it works, glad you learned something.

P.S. If you think I am full of BS tie into the rope before you try it ;)

jt512

Jan 6, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #78 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Danpayne

I will clarify so that you will understand the “backup knot nonsense”: If I was rapping and testing a backup (the subject of my post) I would tie into the rope. If I were still testing and used up my slack I would tie in again. I am not suggesting that I regularly back up my raps by tying in nor would I suggest that others do so. I would agree that is a bit tricky to keep your belay device locked off while re-tying into the rope. I can tie in and out of a locker with one hand using clove hitches, but I am good with my hands as my girlfriend can testify. However, if you are testing a friction knot to see if it will lock your belay device (the subject of my post) and it does hold you, you can fiddle with the ropes with both hands. In my suggestion I stated that the slack be pulled up and second tie in completed before the first one is released for obvious safety reasons.

Another option: rather than fiddling with friction knots, mule knots, or stuntman air bags there is a very quick and easy way to get both hands free while rapping. I do not know if this is a standard practice or not but I have been doing it for many years. When I am rapping and want to free both hands for whatever reason what I do is wrap the rope around my right leg several times. It is very secure and locks up my belay device. Eventually the loss of circulation gets to be a problem, but there is plenty of time to tie into the rope if that is what you were doing. Try it, it works, glad you learned something.

I think you're completely full of BS. More specifically, I think you are a gumby trying to pass yourself off as a safe, experienced climber. Everybody wraps the rope around their leg to free up their hands during a rappel, and if you had the experience you make yourself out to have, you would know that.

As far as testing your rappel backup, nothing could be simpler. Let go of the backup knot while rappelling and see if it stops your descent. Duh.

-Jay

danpayne

Jan 6, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #79 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Danpayne

See 2 posts up, I think I explained it there...

johnnord

Jan 6, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #80 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Danpayne

I think you're completely full of BS. More specifically, I think you are a gumby trying to pass yourself off as a safe, experienced climber. Everybody wraps the rope around their leg to free up their hands during a rappel, and if you had the experience you make yourself out to have, you would know that.

As far as testing your rappel backup, nothing could be simpler. Let go of the backup knot while rappelling and see if it stops your descent. Duh.

-Jay
Yes. Why are we still talking about this? It's been done to death. Look at FOTH and move on. I don't mean this as a flame, but the basic question about backing up a rappel has been answered. AUTOBLOCK (prussik, etc) BELOW THE DEVICE. Beyond that, climb with someone more experienced and learn the fine points. I also don't want to be dogmatic or absolute, but my experience has taught me that most often, simple is better. It's more important to learn the principle than the rule.
John

el_jerko

Jan 6, 2005, 5:42 AM
Post #81 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JT5.3,

In response to the following comment:

“I think you're completely full of BS. More specifically, I think you are a gumby trying to pass yourself off as a safe, experienced climber.”

You never know do you? I have only been on this site a few days and in the endless string of posts of yours I have read only one that I thought useful. Everything else has been completely unconstructive flames. Now I ask myself what motivates someone to spend so much time bashing people who are trying answer legitimate questions from beginning climbers? Obviously someone who is trying to jack themselves up by pretending to know it all. That is, I believe you are exactly what you are accusing me of being.

So dude I call, lay your cards down so to speak and list your climbing resume right here. I want to know exactly what it is that makes you think you are so much smarter than everyone else is. And I don’t mean spray about how hard you climb in the gym, I mean tell us about the skills you have actually used while climbing and how you acquired them.

Johnnord,

I understand what you are saying, but have to disagree with you. I have never spent much time on this site primarily because it has such a bad reputation for wankers, but I have spent a lot of time on other climbing sites and I have heard the same questions from beginners over and over again. And I continue to answer them over and over. I guess because when I got into climbing I didn’t know any experienced climbers and learned things from primarily books which was hard. As a beginner I would have killed for a forum like this where you could ask questions and get a variety of opinions. And if some tool box is going to say I am wrong about something to stroke his ego I am going to call him on it every time (unless I am wrong) because I feel an obligation to help people who have questions. Climbing is complicated. So if it bothers you maybe you should stay out of the beginners forum.

curt

Jan 6, 2005, 6:25 AM
Post #82 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Jay, time to raise--or fold, eh? Haha.

Curt

johnnord

Jan 6, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #83 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
JT5.3,

In response to the following comment:

“I think you're completely full of BS. More specifically, I think you are a gumby trying to pass yourself off as a safe, experienced climber.”

You never know do you? I have only been on this site a few days and in the endless string of posts of yours I have read only one that I thought useful. Everything else has been completely unconstructive flames. Now I ask myself what motivates someone to spend so much time bashing people who are trying answer legitimate questions from beginning climbers? Obviously someone who is trying to jack themselves up by pretending to know it all. That is, I believe you are exactly what you are accusing me of being.

So dude I call, lay your cards down so to speak and list your climbing resume right here. I want to know exactly what it is that makes you think you are so much smarter than everyone else is. And I don’t mean spray about how hard you climb in the gym, I mean tell us about the skills you have actually used while climbing and how you acquired them.

Johnnord,

I understand what you are saying, but have to disagree with you. I have never spent much time on this site primarily because it has such a bad reputation for wankers, but I have spent a lot of time on other climbing sites and I have heard the same questions from beginners over and over again. And I continue to answer them over and over. I guess because when I got into climbing I didn’t know any experienced climbers and learned things from primarily books which was hard. As a beginner I would have killed for a forum like this where you could ask questions and get a variety of opinions. And if some tool box is going to say I am wrong about something to stroke his ego I am going to call him on it every time (unless I am wrong) because I feel an obligation to help people who have questions. Climbing is complicated. So if it bothers you maybe you should stay out of the beginners forum.
El_jerko: Welcome to rc.com. I agree that it's not the best of all possible worlds. I would like to know the other sites to which you refer; I might enjoy them.
However, over the months since I have joined this site, I have learned some stuff and shared some stuff. I have also read a lot of s--t; but I try to ignore it and steer the conversation away from personal attack (flaming) and back to the topic.
In this case, it seems to me that it's all been said.
I think I know, after 30 plus years of mountaineering and climbing (albeit at a modest level) that it is complicated. However, this is a beginner's forum, so I think we should keep the focus simple for the beginners. If that bothers you, maybe you should go to the trad site and engage with more experienced climbers. IMHO your contributions, while worthy of discussion, are not helpful to inexperienced climbers. I respect your motives in wanting to help new climbers, but i don't think this series of personal attacks will improve anyone's climbing.
So, to respond to the original post: AUTOBLOCK BELOW THE DEVICE.
Respectfully,
John
PS. I Loved the "how do you rappel back up? comment. I'm still laughing!

curt

Jan 6, 2005, 6:51 AM
Post #84 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey el_jerkhole,

I notice that you claim to have been climbing "outdoors" for some six years now. Good for you. However, there is nothing more arrogant than a relative n00b like yourself pretending to know what he is talking about. You have dismissed commends by rgold, with his nearly 50 years of climbing experience, at a high level. Similarly, you seem to think you know more than jt512, with his 20 years of experience--which you do not.

If you want to continue to participate at RC.com in any positive way, I suggest that you contribute where you can and also try to learn from those of us who know far more than you. And, yes, some of us do.

Curt

jimdavis

Jan 6, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #85 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Six pages on backup knots.....?

There should be an option to ignore all the posts that are part of the Pissing Match.

david.yount
Deleted

Jan 6, 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #86 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First off, I'm going to make the assumption that you're seeking proper instruction/guidance for your outdoor climbing, and you just want to take a poll on the idea of backing up your rappel.

Now.. I've been climbing outdoors for less than a year. Indoors, I have 3 years of experience, but 2 of those came a long time ago so don't really count.

I've taken several classes (and will take more this spring) to learn all the basics, and I've followed up with a lot of research and reading. In my outdoor classes, a rappel backup was never taught. I find that most climbers on single-pitch well-known climbs (which is where us noobs spend all our time) don't back up their rappel.

I taught myself a klemheist, prusik, and autoblock under very safe conditions (at home suspended from an A-frame ladder ). I use the klemheist as my backup knot of choice, and I employ it on every single rappel. I don't do it so much because I feel I will NEED the backup, but I do it because I want to know the knot well and trust it when I get to a point where it is necessary. Also, I feel it's just good practice to make it a habitual part of your routine.

I also like to "test" my knot when I approach the end of my rappel, stopping a few feet off the ground (when the landing is safe). That way I can feel the way it holds, practice re-starting after it catches, and be confident that I can trust the knot when I need it.

For this same reason, I always put knots in the ends of my rappel ropes, even when I've done the climb before and know the ropes will reach the ground.

I find I’m more likely to do something important if I practice doing it, all the time. Since I enjoy alpine climbing and try to get in many wilderness peaks each year, I’ve come to realize that a backup friction hitch is not only useful while rappelling but could also increase safety.

The cost of a backup friction hitch is virtually negligible, 2-feet of 6mm or 5mm accessory cord, less than a dollar.

The weight of a backup friction hitch is virtually negligible, an ouce?

I use 5mm cord and I replace it each year, sometimes I replace it mid-year. Standard textile for this application is 6mm cord and that’s what’s published and recommended by most. A few still employ the venerable 7mm cord for backup hitches. It’s your choice, of course, but most use 6mm cord and they are not making an unwise choice.

There are many friction hitches that could be rigged for this purpose. I have experimented over 100’s of rappels and over a dozen hitches; I especially appreciate some of the hitches aborists and cavers employ.

I use the Klemheist friction hitch, I find it to be superior to the Prusik. I find the friction of the Klemheist is easier to customize for various rappel lines (7.6mm up to 10.5mm) by adding or subtracting turns. I find the Klemheist easier and much more enjoyable to tie. I find the Klemheist easier to loosen once I’ve hanged on it. And, the Klemheist may be tied with webbing. It’s your choice; I recommend you experiment with various friction hitches (Klemheist, Bachman, Autoblock, Prusik, Hedden).

I rig my backup rappel friction hitch up-line from my rappel device. Most people use it down-line. Rigging up-line is safe and published in respected places, but rigging down-line is published in many more places. I began rigging it down-line. I did this for many years. And then I experienced many good reasons this rigging was not satisfactory for me.

Now I rig a Klemheist hitch up-line of my rappel device. There are many good reasons I’ve experienced why I prefer to rig it up-line.

-At the start of a rappel where the ropes hang free in space, I can simply raise the brake lines to decrease friction thru the rappel device, descending smartly. If I rig the friction backup below the rappel device, initial descending in this scenario is a chore.

-If I need to descend very rapidly for a limited distance, I can simply raise the brake lines and down I go. If I rig down-line I can not descend very rapidly because the brake lines will always be routed sharply over the friction edge of the rappel device

-If I need to ascend the ropes, I don’t need to change my rigging nor add anything, it’s straightforward and for short distances relatively efficient. The rappel device acts somewhat like a GriGri, the Klemheist hitch acts somewhat like a mechanical rope clamp. I push up on footholds to help raise my body with my left hand (rather than using foot loops attached to the up-line friction hitch). If I rig down-line, no way I’m ascending those ropes, not even 5-feet.

-If the ropes are slightly twined on each other, my brake hand can make large gesticulations while I continue to descend, shaking them free. If I rig down-line my brake hand can not move while I descend, it must tend the hitch. My “free” hand is somewhat awkward to use to shake out the lines.

-If the ropes are slightly stuck on rock features below me, my brake hand can shake them free, while continuing to descend. If I rig down-line my “free” hand is somewhat awkward to shake out the lines.

Al Padgett and Bruce Smith's discussion of the Prusik Safety in On Rope (National Speleological Society, 1987), "No self-belay device should interfere with rappelling technique. If it does interfere, it is counterproductive in that it exists to help control a problem, but instead tends to create one." And that's how I feel about friction hitches rigged down-line of my rappel device.

If I’ve weighted my Klemheist (rigged above my rappel deivce) it’s easy to unlock the hitch and resume descending. Lift right foot up, wrap brake ropes around it twice, raise brake hand (with ropes) above rappel device, with both hands hold on to all 4 strands of rope, stand up on right leg. Klemheist is now unweighted, left hand loosens Klemheist and slides it down, left hand grabs all 4 strands, right hand grabs just below rappel device, sit down in harness, ropes slip off foot. Continue descending.

It's your choice if you wish to use a friction hitch in addition to your rappel device. There are supporting reasons, there are detracting reasons.

So I always carry my loop of cord. It's clove hitched to a locking biner. Even when I'm taking a rest day from Grade V climbs at Red Rocks and I'm trying to onsight lines at the Trophy or the Gallery. I never blame that ounce of prevention as cause to my missing an onsight.

And virtually every rappel, I rig my Klemheist. It's a habit. Coming down a 10-meter sport route outside of Canmore, Alberta, I still rig my Klemheist. It's something I do. I find I’m more likely to do something important if I practice doing it, all the time.

David Yount.

Partner tisar

Jan 6, 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #87 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks David!

Just one question to clarify a point you didn't mention:

If you backup up-line the friction knot must hold much more force (i.e. the complete weight) than a down-line knot. Do you still attach it to just one leg-loop of your harness or do you go right off the belay sling?

- Daniel

david.yount
Deleted

Jan 6, 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #88 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If my friction hitch is rigged up-line from my rappel device then when I hang from my hitch, my full body weight is hanging from my hitch. Incidentally I attach my Klemheist to a runner that is girth hitched around my harness.

If my friction hitch is rigged down-line from my rapel device then it will only see a fraction of the load because the rappel device is designed to multiply frictional force to the rope. My full body weight will be placed on the rappel device and only a fraction of that force will be placed on the down-line hitch. It qualitatively seems to me to multiply my hand grip by 6. If I weigh 180lbs, it feels like about 30lbs grip needed to hold myself from descending. If you want to test this yourself remember to experiment just a foot off the ground; because if you're at the top of a 60-meter free hanging rappel the weight of the ropes will add significant friction to the rappel device.

Sterling 5mm accessory cord tensile strength 5kN for a single strand, from their website.

Ideally a loop of 5mm cord would be exactly twice as strong as a single strand, but it ain't. A reasonable estimate of a loop's strength might be 30% less than double the strength of a single strand. Single strand is 5kN, double that would be 10kN, and then 30% less would yield 7kN.

But maybe it's even lower than 7kN? Let's just say it's only 5kN when tied into a Klemheist friction hitch.

I don't weigh even 1kN (225lbs). When hanging from my Klemheist I don't bounce or thrash, much. I am comfortable with 5mm cord to hang from as a backup to my rappel device. But 6mmm cord is the standard textile for prusik loops.

david yount.

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #89 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice post david. Even though I am using a different friction knot and love the below the device way, your explanation details how to do the above the device method correctly and is easy to understand.

You pretty much covered all the bases.

It's a nice feature of your method that you would not be left hanging upside down if your rappel system failed.

Maybe everyone will special attention to your comment that you must PRACTICE your safety technique, as in basically use it almost all the time.

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #90 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
* If your system somehow fails you will only fall to your tie in point. In the event that you do not fall and rap down to your tie in, tie in again and then release the original tie in. I like to tie in with clove hitches and locking biners, but any kind of loop clipped to your harness with a locker will work.*

How is the systen going to fail so that a knot will save you? The knot will work only if you lose control of the system - "system failure" means the rappell device becomes detatched from the rope. And the reason you would lose control of the system is loss of conciousness. Would you rather be hanging upside-down from a knot in that situation, or be being lowered by your partner?

There are several ways the system can fail that do not require unconciousness. Unfortunatey several examples have occured in the last two years. A girl at Twall failed to thread her ATC correctly, only getting one line of a two line rappel through the biner. She decked. A kid at Palisades park AL clipped his device to something other than his belay loop, possibly a gear loop, and decked. These are serious lapses by the rappeler, but they still happen. A rappel backup would have prevented serious injury in the two examples above.

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #91 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since Curt mentioned Rgold, I wonder if he will weigh in with his views on the harness hang syndrome, and lowering vs rappelling? This is also mentioned in the excellent book On Rope that Yount spoke of.

No matter what you think of the likelyhood, it's still good to be aware of this situation especially if you DO have an unconcious hanging person to rescue.

fracture

Jan 6, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #92 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now I rig a Klemheist hitch up-line of my rappel device. There are many good reasons I’ve experienced why I prefer to rig it up-line.

Good, informative post, David.

I haven't been reading this pissing matc^W^Wthread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned. But isn't there a recorded death due to having the friction hitch above the rappel device (too far out of reach, or something)? Maybe this is a legend. Anyone know?

(Personally, I don't generally back up my raps. I'm too lazy. But I'm curious about the above anyway).

aikibujin

Jan 6, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #93 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's a nice feature of your method that you would not be left hanging upside down if your rappel system failed.

The below the belay (rappel) device back up can still be rigged in such a way that you don't hang upside down if the rap setup fails. If you extend the belay device from the harness with a sling, and attach the autoblock with a locker on the belay loop. When you hang, you hang from the belay loop, not from the leg loop.

This is what I started doing when I first started backing up my rappels. But since then I have given up on extension and just rigged the autoblock on my leg loop, because of one problem I encountered with this set up: on a hanging rappel station, it was a pain in the butt to load the rappel setup so I could unload/unclip my anchoring slings. The stretch in the rope and the added distance of a belay biner, belay loop, and belay device somehow made a doubled shoulder length sling (what I used to extend the belay device) equal to a full shoulder length sling (what I used to anchor).

I have just bought a Metolius PAS, which allows me to adjust the distance of the extension fairly easy. I think will start using the "rappel backup below an extended belay device" method again.

1873ak

Jan 6, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #94 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have read that the only major advantage of having the friction knot above the belay device is that has been documented to have stopped someone from completely rappelling off the end of the roap. Basically you hit the end of the roap, it slips through your brake hand and subsequently through the belay device. The friction knot loads itself and will catch you, hopefully. Beyond that it has the disadvantage of requiring your "free" hand to be on the rope to keep it sliding smoothly, if engaged the friction knot tightens up considerably more above the belay device than below it, and it can be a real bear to loosen once loaded.

I was trained in rappelling first, hence the reason I don't fear it like many climbers, and was initially trained using no backup for the rappel device. I have since stared using a backup, the klemheist below the belay device. Just an added bit of security is nice. Unless of course I'm rappelling on my Petzl Stop. No braking device needed. It's just a bit too heavy to carry climbing most of the time.

Charles

hugepedro

Jan 6, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #95 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-At the start of a rappel where the ropes hang free in space, I can simply raise the brake lines to decrease friction thru the rappel device, descending smartly. If I rig the friction backup below the rappel device, initial descending in this scenario is a chore.

-If I need to descend very rapidly for a limited distance, I can simply raise the brake lines and down I go. If I rig down-line I can not descend very rapidly because the brake lines will always be routed sharply over the friction edge of the rappel device

-If I need to ascend the ropes, I don’t need to change my rigging nor add anything, it’s straightforward and for short distances relatively efficient. The rappel device acts somewhat like a GriGri, the Klemheist hitch acts somewhat like a mechanical rope clamp. I push up on footholds to help raise my body with my left hand (rather than using foot loops attached to the up-line friction hitch). If I rig down-line, no way I’m ascending those ropes, not even 5-feet.

-If the ropes are slightly twined on each other, my brake hand can make large gesticulations while I continue to descend, shaking them free. If I rig down-line my brake hand can not move while I descend, it must tend the hitch. My “free” hand is somewhat awkward to use to shake out the lines.

-If the ropes are slightly stuck on rock features below me, my brake hand can shake them free, while continuing to descend. If I rig down-line my “free” hand is somewhat awkward to shake out the lines.

Al Padgett and Bruce Smith's discussion of the Prusik Safety in On Rope (National Speleological Society, 1987), "No self-belay device should interfere with rappelling technique. If it does interfere, it is counterproductive in that it exists to help control a problem, but instead tends to create one." And that's how I feel about friction hitches rigged down-line of my rappel device.

If I’ve weighted my Klemheist (rigged above my rappel deivce) it’s easy to unlock the hitch and resume descending. Lift right foot up, wrap brake ropes around it twice, raise brake hand (with ropes) above rappel device, with both hands hold on to all 4 strands of rope, stand up on right leg. Klemheist is now unweighted, left hand loosens Klemheist and slides it down, left hand grabs all 4 strands, right hand grabs just below rappel device, sit down in harness, ropes slip off foot. Continue descending.

It's your choice if you wish to use a friction hitch in addition to your rappel device. There are supporting reasons, there are detracting reasons.

So I always carry my loop of cord. It's clove hitched to a locking biner. Even when I'm taking a rest day from Grade V climbs at Red Rocks and I'm trying to onsight lines at the Trophy or the Gallery. I never blame that ounce of prevention as cause to my missing an onsight.

And virtually every rappel, I rig my Klemheist. It's a habit. Coming down a 10-meter sport route outside of Canmore, Alberta, I still rig my Klemheist. It's something I do. I find I’m more likely to do something important if I practice doing it, all the time.

Good post David.

When I use a backup I also rig it up-line, for all the reasons you list, plus one more.

I'm anal-retentive about efficiency and verstality. I don't like carrying anything that serves a single purpose if I can avoid it. In situations where I would normally rig a backup (typically on multi-pitch, I usually don't backup single pitch raps) I already have a couple prusik loops with me, so it's very easy just to whip one out and rig it up-line.

I use a bachman though. I put enough wraps on it to completely fill the spine of the biner (usually 5 wraps). By filling the spine like that the knot tends to keep itself well dressed with little tending, and this helps assure that it binds when it needs to. Of course, the bachman is also easy to release after it's been loaded.

danielweed

Jan 6, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #96 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont use a backup becasue i dont feel like taking the time to tie one. i use my bd atc and feel confident

johnnord

Jan 6, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #97 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dont use a backup becasue i dont feel like taking the time to tie one. i use my bd atc and feel confident
Daniel: at the risk of being a nagging 'rent, please reconsider your attitude toward backups. I don't always use one, but certainly on multipitch climbs and when you are carrying weight (like a heavy pack) you should definitely consider a backup. Take a look at the number of years the people posting on this issue have been climbing, and you'll see a lot of very experinced, confident climbers who use backup regularly. As one of my first mentors said to me, "There are old climbers and bold climbers, but no old, bold climbers." There is no way to guarantee safety climbing, but you can responsibly manage the risks. It may not be as cool, and it may take 30 more seconds, but your life is worth it. I'd hate to be the one to have to make the call to your parents when you deck.
Take care, dude.
"Daddy" John

climbsomething

Jan 6, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #98 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, David, for a more articulate post than I felt like making. I also use a kleimheist up-line. For that matter, I also use leg wraps sometimes, and whenever there's somebody on the ground, I ask for a fireman until I have gotten nicely established on my rap. I freely admit to taking all these precautions because rappelling spooks me.

I don't really like rappelling but I do it frequently to take photos. Photography, of course, requires both hands. I have always thought my life was worth a little cordage or sling and a couple minutes to set up. I'm lazy, but not that lazy.

lehrski

Jan 7, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #99 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice post David.

I also sometimes use the friction knot upline for another reason. If I'm rappeling over large roofs or awkward features, particularly if I have a heavy pack hanging off my harness, having the knot upline helps keep me upright while I'm using my hands to negotiate around the features. As mentioned, you can extend the belay device on a sling and then use the friction knot downline, but to me this just complicates things.

johnnord

Jan 7, 2005, 5:04 AM
Post #100 of 127 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This has been an interesting thread, and I've learned a bit. However, it seems to have developed into a fairly sophisticated discussion among experienced climbers. Remember, it was initiated in the beginners forum by a relatively new climber. I would advise new climbers to start with an autoblock below the belay device, a la FOTH. Once they get some time on rock, they can begin to experiment with the variety of options that we have been discussing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook