RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climberxterra

Jan 14, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Comp Preparation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering how everyone prepares for a comp the day before and the day of the comp.

chrisparedes

Jan 14, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Re: Comp Preparation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, seeing as tomorrow will be my first comp. (at Boat Rock), I've prepared by making sure I've got plenty of chalk in my bag, I've washed up my shoes a little bit so they are nice and sticky, and I've clipped my finger and toe nails real well. Other than that I plan on stretching very well before I go to bed and hope for the best tomorrow.

Partner neuroshock

Jan 15, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1-2 day(s) before, do nothing overly active--rest days.

night before, cut nails, stay hydrated, and get a good night's sleep.

that day, eat breakfast and stretch. be sure to keep hydrated all day long. if the comp is long enough, i'll take several small breaks to have some GORP and water. otherwise, for me, it's climbing nearly non-stop.

in my experience, this strategy works well at both ABS comps and Triple Crown Comps--YMMV.

skecthballer

Jan 15, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What i do before comps is alittle different. I prefer to get wasted and have fun with friends i dont often see. Its just like climbing, if you smoke and drink before the night you go out climbing then do it before a comp. Do you really think you'll climb stronger if you dont get your 7 hours of sleep, and remeber you can drink water at the comp too.

Partner neuroshock

Jan 15, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What i do before comps is alittle different. I prefer to get wasted and have fun with friends i dont often see. Its just like climbing, if you smoke and drink before the night you go out climbing then do it before a comp. Do you really think you'll climb stronger if you dont get your 7 hours of sleep, and remeber you can drink water at the comp too.
very true. it so happens that i generally stick to that 'strategy' when climbing recreationally, too. climbing is far enough away from where i live that i want to physically, and mentally, perform at my best when i'm there.

jakedatc

Jan 15, 2005, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there is much to do the day before other than whats been said (other than the drinking etc.. are you kidding me? lol )

i'd suggest more of stuff the weeks leading up to it.. get on as many different types of boulder problems as you can.. slab, overhangs, crimps, slopers.. get used to different styles so that you arent limited to a certain type of route

the day of.. relax.. stretch, listen to music. whatever keeps you loose and ready to climb.. when the comp starts or if they allow warming up then do some really easy problems to get your head in climbing mode.. keep hydrated.. bring a brush and don't be afraid to use it if holds start getting gunked up.. which they do

if they allow you to walk around and look at problems beforehand you should.. figure out what looks to be in your range and a few that are scored over but maybe dont look so bad.. sometimes there are softies that can snag you some points
pace yourself.. you usually need 5-7 climbs on your card.. dont waste all your energy on V1's if you are looking to get on V4s or something(random #'s.. u get what i mean) if you start getting pumped out. rest. just like a normal day of climbing.. usually there is a few hours of climbing time..

have fun... learn.. watch the finals.. they are usually dramatic and have some quality climbers

kdchampion

Jan 27, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do people generally eat the morning before a comp? Bagel? cereal? 5 egss with a pound of bacon drizzling in grease?

What about the night before?

dontfall

Jan 27, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.crafts-gifts.com/...pipes/peace-pipe.jpg

nrvna963

Jan 27, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you haven’t climbed almost everyday for the past few months then don’t do any climbing the few days before the comp. You could do some pull ups/ sit ups to keep your muscles "toned" if you feel compelled to do something, but you need your finger tips in tip top condition for the comp. If you have climbed almost everyday then go out and do some "easy" climbing.

Another big thing to remember is to stay relaxed. The worst thing you can do at a comp if your not doing as well as you thought is to get frustrated. Develop an "i don’t care how hard I send, I just want to have fun and do my best" attitude.

You don’t have to worry about what you eat as much as other sports such as running, but I wouldn’t eat anything really bad. Make sure you have enough carbs, protein, nutrients, and water and you should be fine, lol.

natas

Jan 27, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what I do. About an hour or so before, I drink a few beers or whatever you like, and then take a few rips from the bizong. I find it quite relaxing. But I don't take comps very seriously.

natas

Jan 27, 2005, 5:02 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what I do. About an hour or so before, I drink a few beers or whatever you like, and then take a few rips from the bizong. I find it quite relaxing. But I don't take comps very seriously.

nrvna963

Jan 28, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drugs are for weak little babies...

nrvna963

Jan 28, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I probably dont want to know what i just started.

dlintz

Jan 28, 2005, 6:07 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do people generally eat the morning before a comp? Bagel? cereal? 5 egss with a pound of bacon drizzling in grease?

What about the night before?

Quad mochas the morning of and bourbon the night before.

d.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook