New routes at the Riverside Quarry
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

socalbolter

Jan 19, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

New routes at the Riverside Quarry  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are several new routes at the Quarry.

I've also posted new photos of the climbing there. I've allowed comments on all the shots and hope you'll take the time to comment or rate them. Thanks!

Check them out

It's been great to see all the new faces out there. If anyone else is interested in checking the area out, I'd be happy to show folks around and/or make route suggestions for a given grade.

So far, everyone seems to be enjoying the routes and there are now over 150 free climbing pitches to choose from.

Hope to see you all out there soon.

denmarkbob

Jan 19, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #2 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Re: New routes at the Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do you guys chip some on those routes, or are they all" natural" ?

socalbolter

Jan 19, 2005, 4:45 AM
Post #3 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of routes that have some chipped holds, but most of the routes do not have manufactured holds.

denmarkbob

Jan 19, 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #4 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the routes do look great ! :shock:

mysty429

Jan 19, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #5 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any 5.9 or 5.10 routes. Could you also send me a PM of directions out there? Would be happy to meet you out there with a few of my intermediate climbing buddies. Great photos of some great climbers.

socalbolter

Jan 21, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #6 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a handful or 9's and 10's (maybe a dozen total), but most routes are 5.11- and harder.

The crag is visible from the 60 freeway, between the 15 and 215 freeways. Exact directions are shown on the area page on this site.

oldskool

Jan 26, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are a couple of routes that have some chipped holds, but most of the routes do not have manufactured holds.

warning: severe understatement

ikefromla

Jan 26, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #8 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

warning: severe understatement

my times at the quarry i have not really experienced chipped holds.. not that i give a fuck cuz that whole place is a former QUARRY... ie it has been drilled, dynamited, and otherwise. the glue is what i noticed more than anything, but given that fractured nature of that rock, it is necessary for climbing... and well, props to Louie and the guys for putting in that effort.

socalbolter

Jan 27, 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #9 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again, Joe rises from the depths to post about something of which he knows nothing.

Unless he's referring to the fact that the enitre cliff would not be there except for chipping (the "200-foot drill bits and dynamite" kind), he clearly has no clue.

There are four routes there that are largely manufactured (none established by me) and perhaps 6 others that may have one or two manufactured holds in otherwise blank sections. And this at a crag where 100-foot routes are the norm (with many rising to 150-feet), that offers more than 160 individual routes.

- Louie

oldskool

Jan 27, 2005, 2:28 AM
Post #10 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i went to the quarry last week....i found a route that was drilled pocket/jugs that you could set an apple inside of...i have no idea who drilled it, but hey, i saw it w/ my own eyes; giant, drilled jugs up a wall....i did not get onto any routes, just walked the base for about 2 hours looking.

socalbolter

Jan 27, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #11 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seeing as how my original post spoke of a couple of routes being chipped, and your walking the base for two hours and seeing one such route - I stand by my post.

You might also be interested in knowing that the route you saw was bolted/drilled in 1994 by a climber who hasn't frequented the Quarry since. It's really not relevant in terms of the current development.

If you're going to post, take the time to make your input factual, complete, and if at all possible helpful. Otherwise, why bother?

oldskool

Feb 9, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Once again, Joe rises from the depths to post about something of which he knows nothing.

- Louie

that was TOTALLY SWEET where you said i "rise from the depths"....i felt like the Leviathon from Exodus or perhaps Cuthulu of Lovecraftian lore!

3 quick questions louie: of the 160 or so routes [ur committed to route developement, time and money, etc, that is great for sure] at the Quarry,
1) how many have glue on them (not bolts of course), handholds or footholds? and 2) how many routes have chipping/excessive use of a claw hammer/drilling/hold comfortizing? and 3) how many routes are totally natural?

can you try and respond w/ numbers? like: "1) most routes have glued holds 2) several routes have 'created' holds, and a great many were 'comfortized', 3) the entire crag is a giant chip so what do you mean?[kidding]." for instance....

the argument that the Quarry is ok to chip doesnt wash w/ me. the gritstone quarries in England are the same: manmade. nobody feels free to chip those...at least, nobody w/ ethics.

vincent

Feb 9, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #13 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who gives a flyin fuck if routes at the riverside quarry are chipped, glued, or otherwise manually augmented. the whole crag , city , and inland empire is a giant choss pile with little , if any , asthetic value to begin with. the crag would not exist in the first place if it had not been dug out the ground with 40 ton chipping machines. take your stoic ethics elsewhere oldskool....

ikefromla

Feb 9, 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #14 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I speak for rockclimbing.com and rock climbers in general:

Who gives a flyin f--- if routes at the riverside quarry are chipped, glued, or otherwise manually augmented. the whole crag , city , and inland empire is a giant choss pile with little , if any , asthetic value to begin with. the crag would not exist in the first place if it had not been dug out the ground with 40 ton chipping machines. take your stoic ethics elsewhere oldskool....
seconded.

sactownclimber

Feb 9, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #15 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Who gives a flyin f--- if routes at the riverside quarry are chipped, glued, or otherwise manually augmented. the whole crag , city , and inland empire is a giant choss pile with little , if any , asthetic value to begin with. the crag would not exist in the first place if it had not been dug out the ground with 40 ton chipping machines. take your stoic ethics elsewhere oldskool....

That may be true but please don't claim to speak for rockclimbing.com and rock climbers in general when you very clearly do not, as is evidenced by the fact that you are disagreeing with oldskool.

oldskool

Feb 9, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #16 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

dearest vincent:
i totally agree with you. the mistake some people make is liking where they live, for what it offers. your admonishment is needed. i had started to look on the bright side of the inland empire life; an hour from EVERYTHING such as LA's culture, snowy mountains, Mojave deserts w/ pictographs and ancient trails, etc...i needed a dose of sweet sweet negativity. thank you, so much, vincent dear. let me also give back! here is some negativity for you as well: fuck you. die. i have barely any roped first ascents, but i have hundreds of FA's in boldering areas in SoCal...even at Mt. Rubidoux, a place some thought tapped out; i have been climbing here for 12 years now, and i, for one, love it. i have a vested interest in climbing ethics for my own self...i dont speak for others, although i dare say that others agree w/ me in that chipping is never ok. but yah, vincent, thanx you sexy little girl. good on ya!

ikefromla

Feb 9, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #17 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uh oh... here we go again. *braces for impact* :shock:

mungeclimber

Feb 9, 2005, 8:17 PM
Post #18 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snap on that last post.

ok, having seen the quarry in the late 80s with piles of garbage everywhere, and having noticed that the crag languished in development since then, and for the fact that

IT'S A QUARRY

who cares if there is glue there, chipping there, or wholesale manufacturing? Let's get a diamond blade cutter and make a finger crack.

If you really care about a quarry and chipping, stop posting and go talk to the developers. PM me for frick's sake. I'll argue the point if you just want to yammer.

Ok, stop posting drivel and let's see some more pics.

ps- chipping, glueing, etc. outside of a quarry is not ok- mostly for it's slippery slope effect and the precedent effect it sets.

/end rant

:D

oldskool

Feb 9, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #19 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Snap on that last post.

ok, having seen the quarry in the late 80s with piles of garbage everywhere, and having noticed that the crag languished in development since then, and for the fact that

IT'S A QUARRY

who cares if there is glue there, chipping there, or wholesale manufacturing? Let's get a diamond blade cutter and make a finger crack.

If you really care about a quarry and chipping, stop posting and go talk to the developers. PM me for frick's sake. I'll argue the point if you just want to yammer.

Ok, stop posting drivel and let's see some more pics.

ps- chipping, glueing, etc. outside of a quarry is not ok- mostly for it's slippery slope effect and the precedent effect it sets.

/end rant

:D

i was talking to the developer; Louie. And the nice thing about this forum, i get additional input from the likes of Vincent, a great admonisher of people w/ stoic ethics....[i dont live in a cave though; what can he mean?!?]; and others such as yourself. you helped develop the quarry? if so, obviously you are ok w/ chipping there, so what would we talk about? why don't you fly to Brittain and chip Stannage. thats ok since its a quarry, correct? what about the Borson's wall at Mt. Rubidoux? a mini quarry that was dynamited...sometimes referred to as a roadcut...if i saw someone chipping that, needless to say, i would stop them. what is the difference, oh ethics master, oh great decider of all things relative? pray tell!

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 9, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #20 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...the whole crag , city , and inland empire is a giant choss pile with little , if any , asthetic value to begin with...

Wow. What in ignorant ass you are...Joshua Tree is part of the Inland Empire, Riverside/San Bernardino Counties. San Bernardino County is the largest county in the entire country and as such, has a few not-so-nice areas, but it also contains areas of great historic value, beauty and cultural interest. Redlands is home of the country's longest running, free outdoor music series at the Redlands Bowl, to name but one tiny example.

If you don't like the quarry, and don't care about chipping and/or gluing the routes, then mind your own business and definitely don't assume to speak for me. I AM a rock climber and a part or rc.com.

Totally offended,
fire_eyes

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 9, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #21 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

seconded.

Wow. What in ignorant ass you are...Joshua Tree is part of the Inland Empire, Riverside/San Bernardino Counties. San Bernardino County is the largest county in the entire country and as such, has a few not-so-nice areas, but it also contains areas of great historic value, beauty and cultural interest. Redlands is home of the countrys longest running, free outdoor music series at the Redlands Bowl, to name but one tiny example.

If you don't like the quarry, and don't care about chipping and/or gluing the routes, then mind your own business and definitely don't assume to speak for me. I AM a rock climber and a part or rc.com.

Totally offended,
fire_eyes

caughtinside

Feb 9, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #22 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

seconded.

Wow. What in ignorant ass you are...Joshua Tree is part of the Inland Empire, Riverside/San Bernardino Counties. San Bernardino County is the largest county in the entire country and as such, has a few not-so-nice areas, but it also contains areas of great historic value, beauty and cultural interest. Redlands is home of the countrys longest running, free outdoor music series at the Redlands Bowl, to name but one tiny example.

Totally offended,
fire_eyes

I'm only mildly offended. Wait, check that, I'm not offended at all. :lol: Thanks for the routes, Louie!

Partner fire_eyes

Feb 9, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #23 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

seconded.

Totally offended,
fire_eyes

oldskool

Feb 9, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #24 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm only mildly offended. Wait, check that, I'm a total tool. :lol: Thanks for the routes, Louie!

bro, that is self evident

caughtinside

Feb 9, 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #25 of 38 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm only mildly offended. Wait, check that, I'm a total tool. :lol: Thanks for the routes, Louie!

bro, that is self evident

Hee hee! Look at that! You quoted me, and then changed what I said to make me look foolish! You are so clever, Mr. oldskool! :lol:

Sorry you get so bent out of shape when anonymous internet posters call your home an armpit. A bit of a sensitive point?

PS--glad you were able to 'surface from the depths' or whereever it is you rose from! :P

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook