RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

spiff7070

Jan 25, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Memory foam as indoor crash pad?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all, I'm new to the boards, so hello everybody! Seems like a really cool community.

Secondly, I've just completed construction of my wall in my garage (will post pictures eventually). I have 2 old crash pads that I'm currently using, but was wondering about subsidizing the padding using some memory foam mattress cover:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?SEC_IID=5548&PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=884135#morereviews

I have no idea what this stuff feels like, but a California King size (70" x 80") seems awfully cheap. Any idea how well this would work? Thanks everybody!

tdah

Jan 25, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Re: Memory foam as indoor crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think it would work too well, esp at only 3" deep. i have a pillow made from it (also about 3" thick), and you can very easily and quickly compress it completely, which means it wouldn't do very well to absorb impact. maybe since you're looking at a king-size, if you cut it in half and doubled it up to 6" it might work better.

Partner gamehendge

Jan 25, 2005, 6:11 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the memory foam on my bed and it's gr8. It might be a little too soft to use as a pad alone. But if you use it as a top layer to your old pads or have 2 on top then it'll prob. be O.K. especially if it's not highball.

sidepull

Jan 25, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you'd need another layer of closed cell foam as a base.

theledge

Jan 25, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the memory foam is to soft you will want to put the closed cell foam on top of it. This way your weight is spread out over a larger surface area and you do not compress the foam as much. This is the way most crash pads are set up.

spiff7070

Jan 25, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the answers. Like I said, I have 2 crash pads which have worked fine, I just would like a broader area of coverage. Sounds like this may not be the route to go. I've called a local foam producer as well, but the closed cell is of course the most expensive part.

gunkiemike

Jan 27, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I saw the topic I thought, "Yow - memory foam is expensive" and that Overstock.com price hasn't changed my mind. $130 should buy you a LOT of conventional polyurethane foam.

spiff7070

Jan 28, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When I saw the topic I thought, "Yow - memory foam is expensive" and that Overstock.com price hasn't changed my mind. $130 should buy you a LOT of conventional polyurethane foam.

You'd be surprised. As I mentioned, a local foam supplier could get it for a couple of hundred bucks for closed cell, much cheaper for open cell, but that doesn't do much good on its own. There MUST be some cheaper source I'm not thinking of, but for now, I'll stick with my crash pads.

gunkiemike

Jan 29, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the ghetto approach is to talk to the local carpeting retailers and installers and get them to give you all the old foam padding they pull up. Yes it's full of dust mites and fleas, and it smells of pet accidents, but you can't beat the price! It's generally of a fairly low density so you need a lot of it. About 16 inches or so will take the sting out of any fall.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook