Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sport in Northern Mexico?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cragchica

Jun 2, 2002, 4:34 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Sport in Northern Mexico?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Bad_Bananas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In my seemingly never-ending search to find climbing relatively close to Tucson, I have begun to think about leaving the country... but I can't find any information about climbing in Mexico.

Ideally I'd like to find some sport climbing within a day's drive, but I'm really up to hear any info you have on Mexico in general.

Thanks!

cragchica

Jun 14, 2002, 10:17 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Sport in Northern Mexico? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has nobody ever climbed anything worthwhile is Mexico? Any info will help...

Thanks,

Andria

roughster

Jun 14, 2002, 1:24 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm confused

Mt Lemmon, Other Sandinista Spots, The Drip, The Dry, and a few others all within very short distance from Tuscon.

Why drive to Mexico when you a lifetime of climbing locally?

Queen Creek is probably what 4 hours tops away as well. I have drove across AZ in one day from Kingman, to Flag, to Winslow, climbed at Jacks all day, drove south (I40 closed at Flag) down to Pheonix, then back out of AZ to CA via Blythe.

Pretty much anything in AZ is within a day and with that in mind, you have some of the best climbing in the states within your reach!

ronnin

Jun 14, 2002, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andria

have you ever been at Potrero Chico ????
(see at routes description, a worldwide known area.....)

you'll be welcome here whenever you want to come.

Julio

cragchica

Jun 14, 2002, 3:36 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Julio!
Sounds great, I'll have to check it out.

Roughster,
I love Arizona and I know that there is tons of great climbing around Tucson. The problem is that because of the area's fires almost nothing is open. In fact I am travelling the 4 hours or so to Jacks Canyon this weekend because it is the closest open area outside the blazing hell of Phoenix.
Besides, what's wrong with trying to find something off the beaten path. If it weren't for exploration the world's best climbing would be still be undiscovered...
...and Mexico is just cool.
Cragchica

Partner tim

Jun 14, 2002, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are heaps of long sport routes at Potrero Chico (though friends from Austin who have climbed there told me that it's important to wear a helmet, as rappels can knock off lots of loose rocks) and there's a ton of documented areas with big walls, long trad routes, etc. elsewhere (El Trono Blanco and the monster canyons come to mind -- look in recent American Alpine Journals, eg. 99, 00, 01, for more on those, though you'll probably want to get comfortable leading trad first ). I haven't checked to see if any of these are in the Routes Database yet (have you?)...

I guess the Dragoons are either too hot or closed due to fires. What about New Mexico -- I *know* there are some high-altitude climbs in the Sangre de Cristo and around Taos/Santa Fe, but that's probably many hours away from you. Those damn huge Western states. (oh, and you said Sport. d'oh.)

My friend Stephanie wanted to plan a trip to Potrero Chico when I was living in SF... it collapsed when everyone's schedules were found to conflict, but one of these days I'd like to check that place out. It might be pretty damn hot this time of year, though. We had been shooting for a February/March trip, which seems like the usual winter season down there. I double checked and it looks like the season is ~Sept-April, so, maybe time to look at NM high-altitude crags.

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-06-14 09:33 ]

Partner missedyno

Jun 14, 2002, 3:58 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

el potrero is amazing! go there...

ronnin

Jun 14, 2002, 4:20 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah.....it's amazing...and I live like 30 min far from it....(At Monterrey coolest city in North Mexico)

hangdoggypound

Jun 14, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that Portreo Chico is way over in Nuvo Leon.

But down in Chihuahua, in the little town of Creel, there huge canyon walls and spires, and even a climbing school. Creel is on the upper end of Copper canyon on the way to Cusarere Falls from the city of Chihuahua. This is probably about half the drive from tucson to Portrero Chico. It'll be a good adventure trip.

When I went, I stayed at Casa de Margarita's which is a dorm-style hotel run by Margarita herself. she serves breakfast and dinne included with a bed for about $10.00 a night. It's a very social scene, and you are likely to make some Mexican friends and find yourself drinking XX beer until 6 am, singing mexican traditional songs all the way.

rocknpowda

Jun 14, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to Portrero Chico and it ruled!!! I think it is kind of a long haul from Tuscon though.

I was in the Baranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon)by Chihuahua about a year ago and found lots of rock in and around the town of Creole. We saw a few routes in the local park/playground but the caretaker wouldn't let us climb them because they worry about the kids imitating climbers and getting hurt. there is a ton of rock down there though that is just waiting for routes or a crashpad. There is even lakeside bouldering. Maybe a mexican contributor to this site has more beta on the area, but I think it is probably closer than Portrero Chico.

potreroed

Sep 7, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola Crag Chica,

There are about 50 bolted routes in the Bassasseachic Falls National Park. I have not been there but I understand it is a beautiful wooded setting.

El Porero Chico is a long ways from Tucson and merits a full road trip; however, I would advise you not to come here because you will never want to leave.

Partner missedyno

Sep 8, 2002, 3:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, that's very true. i've spent my entire year trying to figure out how to get back to the potrero....

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook