First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cintune

Jan 25, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Climbers for Buddha
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really need a faith to take with you to the crags, consider that the Tantric sage Padmasambhava first carried the teachings of Buddha into India by trekking across the Himalaya in the 8th century, possibly the world's first documented Alpine expedition. Buddhist practices including breath control and mental focus are directly applicable to climbing, and some of the world's best climbers hold a distinctly dharmic orientation to their lives and careers. No other religion comes closer to addressing the climbing experience, physicaly or metaphoricaly. This is simply a fact. Om mani padme hum, y'all.

curt

Jan 25, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #2 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers for Buddha [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see where this is going.......

Ascending for Allah

Bouldering for Buddah

Jumaring for Jesus

Pulling down for the Pope.......

:lol:

Curt

roambb1

Jan 25, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets not forget...

Senders for Shiva
Tau Tradsters
Shinto Sport climbers association
and
Vertical Voodoo

jebel_andi

Jan 25, 2005, 8:00 PM
Post #4 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget the jug hauling jedi

dynosore

Jan 25, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #5 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That sounds really bad...

shinto sport climbers are neither

V-chuffers for Vishnu

keinangst

Jan 25, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget about The aGneisstics and The atheSchists.

sarcat

Jan 25, 2005, 8:19 PM
Post #7 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountaineering Mormons

Evertst Evangelists

Tick-list Fundamenalists

sandbag

Jan 25, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #8 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No No NO NO NO!
this just cant work.....
Climbers for Buddha would be impossible....
theyd be contemplating right mindfulness and in doing so would be shunning the trappings of prideful things such as conquering the mountain etc....
hows that for a wet blanket???
:P

coloredchalker

Jan 25, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #9 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Budhism is contrary to climbing anyways. Desire is the root of all evil so we must get rid of desire, including the desire to send. Just not possible.
:cry:

cintune

Jan 25, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #10 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No No NO NO NO!
this just cant work.....
Climbers for Buddha would be impossible....
theyd be contemplating right mindfulness and in doing so would be shunning the trappings of prideful things such as conquering the mountain etc....
hows that for a wet blanket???
:P

Yes yes, yes, grasshopper. It's not the mountain that is conquered, it is the self. That would be the point. Climbing for ego gratification is another thing entirely, more suited to monotheistic megalomania.

cintune

Jan 25, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #11 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And so... the desire to send brings you closer to "God's love," somehow?

nthusiastj

Jan 25, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #12 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Shouldn't that be "Pedophelia for the Pope"?

dirtineye

Jan 25, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #13 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the sound of one rope flapping, rock hopper?

When you can snatch the nut from the placement, then it will be time for you to leave.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 25, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #14 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Budhism is contrary to climbing anyways. Desire is the root of all evil so we must get rid of desire, including the desire to send.

The ideal of "non-action" doesn't mean doing nothing. It means not being invested in the action or it's outcome.

Kim

coloredchalker

Jan 25, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #15 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Budhism is contrary to climbing anyways. Desire is the root of all evil so we must get rid of desire, including the desire to send.

The ideal of "non-action" doesn't mean doing nothing. It means not being invested in the action or it's outcome.

Kim

But can you climb with out being invested in the action and not desiring a particular outcome? I can't.

but I'm not trying to get on a rabbit trail about the incogruence of budhism and climbing. It was just the first thing that went thru my brain.

cintune

Jan 25, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #16 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but I'm not trying to get on a rabbit trail about the incogruence of budhism and climbing. It was just the first thing that went thru my brain.

The point I was trying to make is that Buddhism has a solid tradition rooted in the Himalayan experience, with its sacred mountains to climb and perambulate, as well as a psychological regimen that includes many attitudes and practices that have proven beneficial to the act of climbing, among other things. In contrast, Christianity always has the power of prayer, I suppose. With Jesus so busy winning Grammys and Super Bowls, I don't doubt he can also find time to help out a climber or two, but Christianity really has no specific tradition regarding the pursuit of climbing (unless you count Moses that is, but he didn't bring any beta down with him). Mountains have always been considered sacred, for purely aesthetic reasons in my opinion. Buddhism has incorporated more of the tangible and symbolic aspects of mountaineering than any other religion to date.

jumaringjeff

Jan 25, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #17 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Over the past several years I have studied Buddhist teachings and read some of the sutras, as well as the Tao Te Ching and some Zen Buddhism texts. I have included the practice of meditation and mindfulness into my life, and it has helped me in many ways.

As far as climbing is concerned, my increased focus and breathing from meditation has helped tremendously. Also, my approach to climbing is not as goal-oriented as it used to be; it is more about connecting with nature and my surroundings. Might sound corny but it is true, and I find that I enjoy myself much more.

I don't consider myself a Buddhist per se, but I have embraced many of the ideals and practices into my life and I have become a happier person and a better climber as a result. Take from that what you will.

Cheers
Jj

mr_oo3

Jan 25, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #18 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neither promise yourself anything or do things where if you are denied them it causes you material pleasure. Leonardo Da Vinci.

Ive just discovered Buddhism to, ive found its made me so much happier because I dont seek material pleasure.

johnhenry

Jan 26, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #19 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh... I think the title of you thread should be "Buddha for Climbers" rather than "Climbers for Buddha." Or my personal preforance, "Buddha for Big Wallers." With this change, I would gladly sign on.

I am not sure that the Buddha himself had any ascents at all to his credit or that a Buddhist will climb stronger than say, our Chistian or Muslim sisters and brother. However, I am convinced that the Buddha's teaching aids any aspect of a persons life, vertical or otherwise.

There are many examples of climbing Buddhists. In America, Beat-niks like Gary Schneider always associated the two as well.

Anyhow, best of luck in your Buddhist pursuits...

john

cintune

Jan 26, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ahhh... I think the title of you thread should be "Buddha for Climbers" rather than "Climbers for Buddha." Or my personal preforance, "Buddha for Big Wallers." With this change, I would gladly sign on.

Point taken. How about "Dharma for Dirtbaggers." Just riffing on the "Climbers for Christ" thread, which seems to have devolved (pun intended) into an argument about evolution vs. creationism. Since I have the good fortune to live in one of the current hotbeds of that particular controversy, there's nothing being said there that I don't hear every day, ad nauseum.

In reply to:
I am not sure that the Buddha himself had any ascents at all to his credit or that a Buddhist will climb stronger than say, our Chistian or Muslim sisters and brother. However, I am convinced that the Buddha's teaching aids any aspect of a persons life, vertical or otherwise.
There are many examples of climbing Buddhists. In America, Beat-niks like Gary Schneider always associated the two as well.

A lot of route names seem to have been inspired as well. But then, a lot of route names have been inspired by a lot of things.

In reply to:
Anyhow, best of luck in your Buddhist pursuits...

Namaste.

dingus

Jan 26, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #21 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Hannibal gets credit for the first alpine expedition.

And if I see Buddha on a climb I am going to kill her.

DMT

johnhenry

Jan 26, 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #22 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been musing quite a bit about the recent evolution, creationism, intellegent-design debates as well.

The debate is striking to me because the theory of Evolution is an articulation of fundamental Buddhist principles! Imagine that, religion and science saying the same thing. It is no accident that Einstein became extremely interested in Buddhism late in life.

How does one kill a climbing Buddha? Maybe a dropped #8 cam...

Cheers,

john

karlbaba

Jan 26, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #23 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to study a lot of different religions and look at ways where they point to the same thing, so I can't say I'm a Buddhist but I done 10 day Buddhist silent meditation retreats and studied it quite a bit.

When Buddha says that desire is the link to bondage, it's not just the desire of attraction to pleasure that he talks about, but also the desire to avoid suffering and discomfort. It's our clinging and attachment to things that kills us, not the thing in itself. So the point is to be equanimous and not hang on to anything (but holds if you're a climber)

You experience whatever you experience, but let go. Climbing gives us plenty of opportunity to practice cause climbers often have to undergo pain, fear, effort and other miseries. Since we often do that with relative equanimity, we should be able to carry that attitude over into the other events in our lives.

Which, no matter what your religion is, constitutes wisdom. Resistance to our pain is generally greater than the pain itself. Just accept and take appropriate action if necessary.

PEace

karl

cintune

Jan 26, 2005, 2:52 AM
Post #24 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think Hannibal gets credit for the first alpine expedition.

- Funny, that thought just occurred to me a few minutes ago. There was also that Bronze Age Iceman guy they found in the glacier a while back. Padmasambhava's trip over the Hindu Kush and the Himalaya was a longer trek, though.

vashie

Jan 26, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #25 of 39 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Disciple says to his master,
"Oh, I'm so happy! I feel os free! I’ve finally achieved detachment!!!"

!WACK!

Disciple,
"Oww! Why did you do that?"