Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Access Closure - Kennisis River Crag, Ontario.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

darkside

Feb 4, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Access Closure - Kennisis River Crag, Ontario.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I regret to announce a closure.

KENNISIS RIVER CRAG IS CLOSED EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
4th FEBRUARY 2005 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

The land owner is actually willing to discuss re-opening the area but has concerns regarding liability. He is further appalled by the actions of 2 individuals who committed wanton damage on his property. In a communication he writes:
"I was snowshoing along the ridge and found 2 people over nite camping at base of ice caps. They had cut down over 20 live trees to accomodate their weekend. I was overwelmed by the destruction of private property!
When I asked them to pack up now and leave, one man said no, because they came all the way from Toronto and plan to climb all day."

This attitude is symptomatic of why we are losing access across climbing areas these days.

On behalf of the Access Committee and the Alpine Club of Canada, I would like to state that this sort of behaviour is not only unacceptable but totally deplorable. Such destruction of private property, lack of respect for a land owner, and cause for the closure of an area deserves the contempt of every climber out there. I only wish the climbing community could voice their opinions directly to these two unknown hooligans.

Grant Parkin
Access Committee Chair

geezergecko

Feb 5, 2005, 2:53 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access Closure - Kennisis River Crag, Ontario. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is sad :(

Hey Grant, how about a cross post in Partners - Canada since that is where all things Canadian seem to go?

darkside

Feb 5, 2005, 6:48 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access Closure - Kennisis River Crag, Ontario. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is sad :(

Hey Grant, how about a cross post in Partners - Canada since that is where all things Canadian seem to go?
Well although it is not really partners related I have put a note there although I just linked it back here as it is better not to have two threads discussing the same thing. Thanks for the thought though and the interest.
Do you climb ice or just rock? I've only seen you on rock.

Peace, catch you later.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook