RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

akclimber

Feb 8, 2005, 8:05 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Looking for opinoins on ice footwear...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Evidence. :lol:

slobmonster

Feb 8, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for opinoins on ice footwear... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can find a good, reputable ski boot fitter up your way, have them help fit your double boots the way you like them. Methinks that a wedge under your heel, and perhaps also a more padded tongue insert would make your boots fit better, and perhaps even how you want them to.

Single boots, like the ones you have purchased, are great and wonderful, like Oz. If you are blessed with warm feet and good circulation, and you're doing day trips (or "non-stop" pushes), it's likely that your feet will be fine. Bring dry socks, bring some foot warmers just in case.

If they fit well, you won't have much slop at all in the heel.

I have owned a pair of kevlar boots, some Tecnicas from a few years back, and I loved them. The kicker is that they simply dry out very, very quicky; unlike true leather boots, the structure doesn't even really "wet out."

kman

Feb 8, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have leathers and also had a problem with a bit of heel lift. I ended up getting those superfeet inserts and the problem is gone. They are waaaaay cheaper than those heat molded ones.

lambone

Feb 8, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice climbing in plastics sucks, get yourself a nice pair of lightweight leathers and feel the freedom.

my 2 cents

crag

Feb 8, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heel lift is a common problem with plastic double boots. New footbeds, shims, a little padding here and there should take care of the problem. Remember plastic boots are not made to the ½ size. The outer shell is only made in whole sizes and when you purchase a half size boot the difference is in the liner. Liners do bag out which will increase the volume inside of it. Different lacing techniques can also help lock your heel in place.

I’ve climbed for years now in a SCARPA boot and wouldn’t switch if someone paid me to, I’ll even use heaters on real cold days before I dig out my old Koflachs. Hopping to splurge for a new pair of FENEY EX for next season.

akclimber

Feb 9, 2005, 6:25 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any experience with single boot\overboot combo for colder days? I think I might try an insert for the plastic boot. Thanks.

crag

Feb 9, 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No I do not have any experience with an overboot style gaitor but I know people who wear them and they feel it does help retain heat. You'll have to glue them to your boot. The heat moldable liners have also gotten good reviews for myself I usually don't have a problem with cold feet. While climbing in the ADK in sub-zero temps I have used heaters inside of my Kolfachs with success.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook