Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

fracture

Feb 8, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #76 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Re: Should an 11b climber bolt 14's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Community Service
Again, none of the known people who put up any of the routes mentioned in this thread, especially Wolfgang or Fred, were attempting to put up a route 3-4 levels of difficulty above their current abilities. None were operating out of "community service", but out of all consuming self-interest.

Yeah, but there are other cases.... For example: who bolted Biographie?

Jean Christophe Lafaille. In 1988. Before anyone had even climbed a 14d, much less 15a. The midpoint anchors were added by Arnaud Petit, who did the FFA of the first half at 14c in '96. The full thing didn't get 'sent till 2001.

In reply to:
As far as I'm concerned anyone putting up a route for any reason other than a project they are personally obssessed with (and has at least the remote possibility of doing) is in fact a poser doing themselves and everyone else a disservice. The very concept of setting routes as a "community service" outside of a gym pretty much falls under the category of abominable and abhorrent ...

How dare they blaspheme, eh?

All you're saying is "poser", over and over, healyje. Since you maintain that your position is not religious zealotry, how about a rational argument against putting routes up as a community service.

Anyway, it seems quite evident that the community in Ceuse feels quite differently. Lafaille (who is an acomplished mountaineer, and definitely not a "poser") is seen as being a visionary, in that he conceived of the possibility that someone would eventually be able to climb his line. He was right, but it took something like 13 years before it was done...

dingus

Feb 8, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #77 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gentlemen, gentlemen... come on now, we're all climbers here, right?

To the notion of bolting a route the bolter cannot climb:

If the bolter is squeezing in a line at an already established crag where others have done most of the previous work... the squeeze bolter is more likely to do the community a disservice. All of the 'why's' voiced in this thread would jump to the fore. Why bolt a squeeze job the bolter has no hope of climbing?

Now if the bolter is doing this at a crag where the bolter herself is the primary mover of route development? STFU, its none of your business.

If the bolter is mainly a noob with just a few or handful of FA sends under her belt and can't even redpoint most moderate sport routes, what makes her think she can open a route so far above her standard?

DMT

shorty

Feb 8, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #78 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vagabulla, for comparison to your bolting friend, my stats:
best redpoint -- 5.11b
14 years climbing, 4 years developing routes
approx. 100 pitches developed, of which I marked and drilled at least a few bolts on 70-75 of them

Obviously, I'm not a world-class climber, so it's a good thing I have a day job. Most of the routes I've developed to date are 9's and 10's, mainly due to having substantial experience climbing at that level.

Only in the past year have I really started developing a few 11's. At this time, I wouldn't even consider bolting a 5.12, as my very limited experience at that grade consists of hangdog toprope ascents. And I can't even pronounce 5.13 or 5.14, let alone climb it.

Let's not forget that your friend is looking at bolting a route maybe 10 letter grades above his TR abilities, which probably means 12 or more letter grades above his redpoint limits.

In ten or twenty years I would rather have climbers say, "This 5.10 of shorty's is a total classic" than "You know, that shorty has developed some hard routes, but his bolt placements pretty much suck."

IMO, your friend lacks both the technical ability and developing experience to bolt a 5.13 or 5.14. Which brings me to my favorite line of this thread:

In reply to:
If an 11b toproper thinks he is up to the task of bolting a 5.14 route, then he is delusional.

-Jay

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #79 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
example: who bolted Biographie?

Jean Christophe Lafaille. In 1988. Before anyone had even climbed a 14d, much less 15a. The midpoint anchors were added by Arnaud Petit, who did the FFA of the first half at 14c in '96. The full thing didn't get 'sent till 2001.

Again, a route put up by a proven visionary (Lafaille) with many, many fine routes to his credit, and at the time he was climbing within two grades of the route's final grade. And he worked it to death before moving on. Lafaille had the history, ability, and vision to set a route there even if he couldn't pull it off in the end. No one reset this route beyond adding intermediate anchors. You can come up with endless exceptions, but most will still be by proven climbers with many accomplishments and I suspect all will be within 2 grades of difficulty and that's why they were interested in the project.

In reply to:
In reply to:
As far as I'm concerned anyone putting up a route for any reason other than a project they are personally obssessed with (and has at least the remote possibility of doing) is in fact a poser doing themselves and everyone else a disservice. The very concept of setting routes as a "community service" outside of a gym pretty much falls under the category of abominable and abhorrent ...

How dare they blaspheme, eh?

All you're saying is "poser", over and over, healyje. Since you maintain that your position is not religious zealotry, how about a rational argument against putting routes up as a community service....

Look, in the context of this discussion you're either a climber or a bolter - no real climber would ever waste their time screwing around with a route they aren't obseessing with an FA on. There is only one reason someone would bolt a route they don't intend to do the FA of or work themselves near to death trying to do one and that's posing - i.e. having people acknowledge them for their [misguided] community service.

Again, this notion of "community service" of putting up routes you aren't personally trying to FA is, as far as I'm concerned, a similar affliction to people simply wanting their gym clipping experience outdoors - it's perversion that has unfortunately escaped the [gym] box. It's comes down to a matter of the essential [visionary, emotional, mental, psyche] differences between a hard fought FA and the disaster you folks want to call a "Community Service".

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #80 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
healy J . Thats a pretty A hole statement. At sport crags you sometimes have guys that work their butts off cleaning rts, setting rts and doing trail work. to call these guys posers just because they might set a rt they are not personaly capeable of freeing is lame.

Ok, I'd be willing to downgrade it from posers to simply misguided.

In reply to:
I know I set a few rts for my GF that I had no chance of freeing in my wildest dreams. One of them is a fairly populer climb now with no complaints and the other is still a project. Does that make me a poser because I put a bunch of effort and work into a project so that my Gf and a few of my other friends had a new climb to play on?.

I'd say let your friends and GF put up their own routes...

In reply to:
You don't have to be a great climber to know how to run a wire brush and and a drill. I think the totaly lame a$$ ones are the rock jocks that ask me why i haven't cleaned and bolted a line yet but they wont get off their lazy arses and help clean and set the rt.

Again, "setting routes" is about as lame an activity outdoors as I can imagine. As far as I'm concerned either do FA's, just climb other folks' routes, or do something else if you're bored. Maybe it's time for a name change to tradmanbolts... :wink:

clmbr3

Feb 9, 2005, 8:19 AM
Post #81 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...at a grade he was could onsight solo.

Yes, Bachar did onsight solo 5.11s. But a several pitch 5.11 face climb without knowing the difficulties? No, he would NOT onsight solo that.

In reply to:
Also, keep in mind that if there's any endurance aspect whatsoever, it wouldn't be a 5.11+ for the FA, because he got to rest on the points of aid.

After placing each bolt, Bachar lowered to the start of the pitch, pulled the rope, and free climbed past the bolt to the next "stance." So yes, there was the 11+ endurance aspect for the FA.

In reply to:
Another (possibly rumor/myth) that I read somewhere is that hearing someone was planning to rap bolt the line is what spurred Bachar to go lead it ground up. Seems the whole excersize was an effort to prove something on Bachar's behalf.

Yes, I've also read that Bachar went and did it because the line was about to be rap-bolted. I'm not sure why this should be criticized. Instead of having just a nice 5.11 sport face climb, we have a historic mind control testpiece that can challenge generations of climbers...

In reply to:
On toprope? People fall off (and, IIRC, injure their belayer, in this case) because they are scared, not because it is hard. If you slap a toprope on it and remove the mental control aspect, many, if not most recreational climbers would be capable of climbing it (it's only 11+).

What's wrong with falling off because of fear? I think part of the beauty of the route is that it requires the mental and physical. Hell, I hope to do it someday... but I won't try it until I think I'm ready because of its nature... where as if it was a sport climb (only 11+, as you say), I'd probably go wank on it right now. I think it's nice to have routes that require you to serve an apprenticeship before trying....

In reply to:
Bold? Yes, I guess. Admirable? Not to me.

Well, I call it admirable because I think it exemplifies a faith in one's self and one's abilities. And when you accept consequences on those terms in any walk of life... well, to me, that's admirable.

But I guess it just comes down to whether or not you admire boldness...

And I do agree that a dogmatic view of ground-up is unrealistic and outdated... Sport climbing provides a high level of mental challenge as well. Memorizing every move and refusing to lose faith when you fall at the same place time and time again is not easy...

clmbr3

Feb 9, 2005, 8:29 AM
Post #82 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If the bolter is squeezing in a line at an already established crag where others have done most of the previous work... the squeeze bolter is more likely to do the community a disservice. All of the 'why's' voiced in this thread would jump to the fore. Why bolt a squeeze job the bolter has no hope of climbing?

Now if the bolter is doing this at a crag where the bolter herself is the primary mover of route development? STFU, its none of your business.

If the bolter is mainly a noob with just a few or handful of FA sends under her belt and can't even redpoint most moderate sport routes, what makes her think she can open a route so far above her standard?

DMT

To some extent, I agree with Dingus.

However, it is ridiculous to compare a 11b climber bolting a 14 to JC Lafaille bolting Realization. Every example in this thread (as has been noted) has been of someone who bolted a line that was 2-3 letter grades over their head - not 10-12!!!!!!!

climbsomething

Feb 9, 2005, 9:45 AM
Post #83 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the risk of taking your comments out of context, healyje (and I apologize if I am) but are you "projecting?"

In reply to:
No big deal?? In a gym it's no big deal. On a rock it's a very big deal.
---------
They aren't gyms, or canvases, they're the real world - let's attempt to retain a shred of collective self-respect and spine by not reducing them all to outdoor clip joints for the suburban hordes.
---------
The very concept of setting routes as a "community service" outside of a gym pretty much falls under the category of abominable and abhorrent - again, the domain of total posers and egomaniacs operating at the expense of the rock.
---------
Again, this notion of "community service" of putting up routes you aren't personally trying to FA is, as far as I'm concerned, a similar affliction to people simply wanting their gym clipping experience outdoors - it's perversion that has unfortunately escaped the [gym] box.

climbsomething

Feb 9, 2005, 9:47 AM
Post #84 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
come on now, we're all climbers here, right?
Oh come on, you know the answer to that one! :P

guangzhou

Feb 9, 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #85 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spent the last two days teaching a partner of mine to bolt. Here in Okinawa, I'm on vacation, we use glue ins, so ground up won't work.

To date, this partner has never redpointed anything harder then 10b. The route he bolted yesterday, with some sugestions, turned out to be 12+. All of his bolts were well placed, the falls were clean, and the clip stances were outstanding. I know, I just did the line.

When he tried to clean it for me, he couldn't get passed the first bolt. What he did manage to do is bolt a rather excelent line, leaving me free to clean and establish another line at the same time.

Face it, bolting is actually not that complkicated. You choose a line, you clean it, you inspect the rock, you decide where the best stances are, you make sure the falls will be clean is someone does fall, you drill a hole, blow the dust out, insert the bolt, and move on to the next one.

This afternoon, two other climbers climbed the line and enjoyed it as well. Not one complained about bad bolt placements, and both thanked my partner for his time and energy.

By the way, he is super spcyched to give the line another go. I am sure this will push him to excell.

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #86 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
By the way, he is super spcyched to give the line another go. I am sure this will push him to excell.

Well, one would hope that is the whole point behind seeing a route and putting it up...

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #87 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At the risk of taking your comments out of context, healyje (and I apologize if I am) but are you "projecting?"

In reply to:
No big deal?? In a gym it's no big deal. On a rock it's a very big deal.
---------
They aren't gyms, or canvases, they're the real world - let's attempt to retain a shred of collective self-respect and spine by not reducing them all to outdoor clip joints for the suburban hordes.
---------
The very concept of setting routes as a "community service" outside of a gym pretty much falls under the category of abominable and abhorrent - again, the domain of total posers and egomaniacs operating at the expense of the rock.
---------
Again, this notion of "community service" of putting up routes you aren't personally trying to FA is, as far as I'm concerned, a similar affliction to people simply wanting their gym clipping experience outdoors - it's perversion that has unfortunately escaped the [gym] box.

In what way? I'm just commenting on what I see as some of the lamentable fallout of 20 years of gyms and the commercialization of climbing that is driving today's access problems. Again, I've never have, and have never known or associated with anyone, that didn't put up FA's solely because they were consumed by a line and a potential route - and I have my suspicions about any other motives for doing a line up.

I've done plenty of trad FA's over the [31] years, the last a five pitch 5.11c R route called Lost Warriors out at Beacon this past fall. And I'm probably just one of those old school dinosaurs that doesn't appreciate the clipping hordes; with their attending bottomline requirement for absolute safety; and the access problems they generate.

Again, conceptually gyms started out as simply a way to bring the climbing experience into urban surrounds so we could climb when we couldn't get out. What has happened over time, however, was something relatively unintended - masses of climbers whose first experiences of climbing is indoors and who now simply want to have that absolutely safe [clipping] experience outdoors. And their numbers have proliferated as has relentless unnecessary [grid] bolting.

When climbers choose to completely eskew learning how to climb with gear they then take a dim view of mixed routes and with drills being cheap and battery operated these days - things like bolting next to cracks at Owens River Gorge, the Dishman fiasco, and Ignorant Bliss will and do happen, and will happen more and more over time at this rate. This business of "community service" bolting can be traced directly back to course setting in gyms which somehow developed an actual prestige of its own inside so it's no surprise this behavior is also [unfortunately] emulated outside along with all the other gym behavior.

I don't have a problem with sport per se, or even with pure bolted lines in appropriate places like limestone areas, VRG, Verdon, etc., or with bolts used appropriately in mixed routes. But I do have a problem with the horde of climbers today that think 10 quickdraws is a rack and that they have a "right" to safe bolt only routes anywhere and everywhere. Them, and the "community service" bolters that perpetuate that delusion to the detriment of rock pretty much everywhere these days...

tradmanclimbs

Feb 9, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #88 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Healyj, you sound like a selfish little prick if you can't understand the concept of putting up a rt for you girlfriend as a gift :roll: I do put the rts up on lead so i get pleanty of thrills and the Fa even if it is not the FFA. I do not put up rts for guys that are too lazy to help themselfs. Jorge put up tons of rts for his wife and then gave a few of them to Lyn Hill and J long. talk about community service, the guy created a massive playground for all of us. No I don't think that a top ropeing wanker should be bolting 14's but a competent climber with some vision can certainly put up a good rt that is above their free climbing ability.

azrockclimber

Feb 9, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #89 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an .11b leader is as far from a "top roping wanker" as he is from being a .14 leader so the "vision" that an .11b leader has ..just doesn't cut it as far as .14's are concerned. It has already been said but someone closer to being able to lead that grade should put it up. an .11b leader has no concept of the moves or the difficulty of the moves and therefore the best places to clip/ to bolt etc...it just all wrong...

dingus

Feb 9, 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #90 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Again, conceptually gyms started out as simply a way to bring the climbing experience into urban surrounds so we could climb when we couldn't get out. What has happened over time, however, was something relatively unintended - masses of climbers whose first experiences of climbing is indoors and who now simply want to have that absolutely safe [clipping] experience outdoors. And their numbers have proliferated as has relentless unnecessary [grid] bolting.

Too bad. I for one am glad they are here. I never really liked you 5.11c R leader dudes dictating to everyone else how to climb anyway.

If we all had to climb like Henry Barber a lot of us would be dead.

Anyway, the sky is not falling down.

DMT

bustloose

Feb 9, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #91 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, Bachar did onsight solo 5.11s. But a several pitch 5.11 face climb without knowing the difficulties? No, he would NOT onsight solo that.

"without knowing the difficulties?" - ummmm, would someone care to define ONSIGHT for this little fellow? he seems to be a touch confused.

this has been a mildly interesting debate, with alot of hipocrisy, and a lot of horrible examples...

i will not add any more choss to the pile, but i will echo the feeling that i am vaguely surprised by someone driven to open a route that far outside their climbing ability and yes i would be very concerned that, without any real notion of how hard it is, the bolts will end up in frustratingly poor places. instead of talking him out of it, talk him into letting a more experienced climber help out...

fracture

Feb 9, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #92 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

DMT

To some extent, I agree with Dingus.

However, it is ridiculous to compare a 11b climber bolting a 14 to JC Lafaille bolting Realization. Every example in this thread (as has been noted) has been of someone who bolted a line that was 2-3 letter grades over their head - not 10-12!!!!!!!

The example with Lafaille is someone bolting something that they knew they might not be able to do, and turned out not able to do. Now he has redpointed 8c---3 letter grades away from the grade of Biographie. I don't have any idea (do you?) if he had done that in '88 (and doubt it, since I believe Gullich had only just put up the first 14b Wallstreet in '87---which would put Lafaille catching up a bit faster than I expect he did).

But also keep in mind that relative difference in number of people climbing 14b vs. 15a is huge compared to the same gap transposed lower (12b to 13a or whatnot). Lafaille isn't about to redpoint Biographie, and saying "3 letter grades" can be a bit misleading: an 11b climber bolting a 12a might send it someday (even possibly soon)---there's a different relative distance there.

Anyway finding examples of someone bolting something 10-12 grades past their limit isn't going to bring up names people are familiar with, so it is somewhat difficult for the purpose of argument. I can think of a case with a guy I know bolting around 8 grades above his limit (low 12's to 14-)---from what I heard from guys working the FFA he did a fine job.

Guangzhou has it right: it simply is not that complicated to develop a sport route (unless you are planning on chipping it, maybe). It is a lot of work and costs some money though: I certainly am not going to discourage people who are willing to do it simply based on how hard they climb.

And:
In reply to:
This afternoon, two other climbers climbed the line and enjoyed it as well. Not one complained about bad bolt placements, and both thanked my partner for his time and energy.

Is how it seems to work in real life. On the internet is one thing; but in real life, no one is going to say "Hey wait: how hard do you redpoint?" before they thank you for the bolts.

fracture

Feb 9, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #93 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[Sorry; can't resist continuing this subthread...]

In reply to:
In reply to:
...at a grade he was could onsight solo.

My point was that the climbing wasn't difficult for Bachar, either.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Also, keep in mind that if there's any endurance aspect whatsoever, it wouldn't be a 5.11+ for the FA, because he got to rest on the points of aid.

After placing each bolt, Bachar lowered to the start of the pitch, pulled the rope, and free climbed past the bolt to the next "stance." So yes, there was the 11+ endurance aspect for the FA.

Ah, I didn't know that.

So it was an 11+, but not onsight.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Another (possibly rumor/myth) that I read somewhere is that hearing someone was planning to rap bolt the line is what spurred Bachar to go lead it ground up. Seems the whole excersize was an effort to prove something on Bachar's behalf.

Yes, I've also read that Bachar went and did it because the line was about to be rap-bolted. I'm not sure why this should be criticized. Instead of having just a nice 5.11 sport face climb, we have a historic mind control testpiece that can challenge generations of climbers...

But there'd be a nice warmup for Peace (which is something I'd much rather aspire to do than a badly bolted 11c)....

In reply to:
But I guess it just comes down to whether or not you admire boldness...

Pretty much.

In reply to:
And I do agree that a dogmatic view of ground-up is unrealistic and outdated... Sport climbing provides a high level of mental challenge as well. Memorizing every move and refusing to lose faith when you fall at the same place time and time again is not easy...

Certainly. Harder (for me), is staying calm when I do stick a move past where I've been falling.

To me the nice thing about these sorts of mental challenges, though, is that they can't kill me. :lol:

fracture

Feb 9, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #94 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm tempted to make that my sig, Mr. Toast. But having sigs ain't my style. :lol:

dirtineye

Feb 9, 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #95 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few people have noted that 11b TOP ROPING is MANY LETTER GRADES below 5.14. Remember now, this bloter wannabe is NOT an 11b leader, he's an 11b top roper.

All these anecdotes about some guy, famed or not, bolting a route 2 or three or even 5 letters above his current climbing seem to miss that point.

IF this thing goes the way most bolt or don't bolt arguments go, the guy will bolt it anyway, no matter how many reasons there are against it.

Personally, I would never want to spend the time and money to bolt a route I could not climb, even if I thought I could bolt it correctly.

TO those who think the rock can take many reboltings and moving of bolts, with no real damage, that's just wrong. Sport is in its infancy now, but when the bolts have been replaced for the 10th time, or the 20th, how well do you think the rock will fare then?

Since the climb is single pitch, how about this compromise:

Let the wannabe route setter work the climb on TR til he can do it, or at least til he can pull nearly all the moves, then bolt it.

Healyj, see what happens when you lie down with sport climbers? HAHA!

sierraclimber1

Feb 9, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #96 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bolted a 14 that I couldn't climb so I might have a relative opinion. I was climbing 13+ at the time and was able to bolt in the right places. On really hard routes like this it is common to have to move bolts around after the 1st bolting run as sequences can change revealing better cliping stances. I left my route an open project while I was working on it and Chris Linder sent it before me with my congratulations.

If he bolts it he should leave it "open" for others to try and send. He also needs to realize that his bolts may need to be moved to facilitate the 1st ascent.

A simple yes or no poll does not take into account what circumstances he is willing to bolt by so it is tough for me to vote...

mack_north

Feb 9, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #97 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More importantly, should a 5.14 leader be putting up 5.11s? My neighbor and I debated this last night over snifters of Kessler, as he doesn't believe an uber-climber can remember what it's like to only climb 5.11 and will underbolt the thing.

Of course, my neighbor is a bit of a weenie. When his first wife died, he cried with his pastor. Cried with his pastor!

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 6:39 PM
Post #98 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Too bad. I for one am glad they are here. I never really liked you 5.11c R leader dudes dictating to everyone else how to climb anyway.

Anyway, the sky is not falling down.

DMT

I'm not dictating anything to anyone, just laying out my opinions and feelings on the matter. Again, for many of us old guys it goes back to a leave no trace being at the heart of the ethic and a respect for the rock. We tend to treat bolting as pro of last resort. I also don't climb like Henry Barber (very few did) I simply try to deal with the rock as best I can the way I find it and if the going gets a bit dicey I either find something else to climb or I deal with it - usually depends on how psyched about the route/line I am.

Again, that [big] waves can't be bolted no matter how many people jump in the water with a board claiming they are a surfer is the very best thing surfing has going for it. It preserves both respect for those surfing sites and of the accomplishments of the folks that came before them.

I personally don't care for crowds and access problems and simply have no respect for folks that are willing to bolt the rock down to their level to have a pure clipping experience on route that takes pro. It's as simple as that.

No, the sky is not falling down, but the Access Fund is busy as hell...

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #99 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Healyj, you sound like a selfish little prick if you can't understand the concept of putting up a rt for you girlfriend as a gift :roll: I do put the rts up on lead so i get pleanty of thrills and the Fa even if it is not the FFA. I do not put up rts for guys that are too lazy to help themselfs. Jorge put up tons of rts for his wife and then gave a few of them to Lyn Hill and J long. talk about community service, the guy created a massive playground for all of us. No I don't think that a top ropeing wanker should be bolting 14's but a competent climber with some vision can certainly put up a good rt that is above their free climbing ability.

Well, I did lose an inch in the past decade, and you might consider me a "little prick", but my thoughts just come from a personal perspective of not commodifying the rock as in "it's mine to ..." regardless of whether "..." is bolting, chipping, excessive cleaning, or even gift giving. I just happen to think of the rock as a pretty much a gift we are allowed to use, that it's not a consumer item or ours for the taking for any purpose. And along with that goes the idea of personal responsibility and self-reliance that for me dictates people, women as well as men, doing things for themselves in relationship to the rock and routes. As such, no matter how personally moving or gratifying the experience, I just happen to see even this sort of Valentining of a route as yet another way to commodify the rock (i.e. as if it's something that's ours to give another...). Sorry if that seems harsh, but from my perspective, all these acts of commodification, no matter how well meaning, all end up contributing to a long term degradation of the rock over time.

dingus

Feb 9, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #100 of 145 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not dictating anything to anyone, just laying out my opinions and feelings on the matter.

Fair enough. You are strongly advocating then, strident even. Consistent, I'll give you that.

I don't believe the explosion of new climbers is ruining our sport. I think they ARE the sport, every bit as much as you or I.

Cheers
DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook