Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is the process of becoming a Pro Climber?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

atg200

Feb 8, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #26 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is the process of becoming a Pro Climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

funniest post ever.

stone_monkey

Feb 8, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #27 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest you ask the noob

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...topic=78820&forum=23

justafurnaceman

Feb 9, 2005, 3:04 AM
Post #28 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought about selling my soul and trying to go pro. but then thought about the wife I have, the fact that I would like to do other things than climb sometimes.

I think that I'll stick to climb on weekends and days off and fix people's furnaces when I'm not climbing. (And read about people getting harrassed on rc.com) HAHAHAHA.

nedsurf

Feb 9, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #29 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"arrr! Who be crossing my bridge?" the pre-professional climber bellowed

giza

Feb 9, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #30 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
funniest post ever.

lmao :lol:

maxclimber1w

Feb 9, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #31 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ask the N00B! Please!!!!! The N00B knows all the answers, I swear!

prest_one

Feb 9, 2005, 5:52 AM
Post #32 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree the earlier posts to this question were a bunch of dick heads. Dont get me wrong i love this site, but i hate how there are those typical regulars that form little cliques trying to run the site, and bully people. Stop this name calling "Troll" bullshit, everybody just be cool, and relax. Climbing is about having fun, we come on here to socialize, and get good beta, not put each other down just so we can feel better about ourselves.

timd

Feb 9, 2005, 7:31 AM
Post #33 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yah be nice,or the gods of the vertical realm will bury you so deep that the heat from the Earths inner core will incinerate your sorry asses :twisted:

Now may I continue?

1. Climb hard.
2. Don't think about wanting to be a pro.
3. Climb harder.
4. Just have fun.
5. Climb harder.
6. Be safe.

Before too long you will be a great climber and not even realize it because you were just out having fun. Then if you still want to climb for money do something that nobody has done before, get a team together and go after a sponsor.

Have fun,
Tim

climbsomething

Feb 9, 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #34 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T5, maybe T6-. Admirable. Not so much for originality, but for the follow-through *and* the appeal it had to the "don't be a dick" types.

Not bad, really!

bler

Feb 9, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #35 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha does anyone know people this guy would consider a 'pro climber' ? peope sponsored by climbing companies, get to travel over the world and climb ?

climbers are dirt poor and live out of vans, don't let the ad's in R&I fool you

trust me, they do not make even CLOSE to enough money to support themselves soley on climbing, even climbers in the ranks of Sharma don't make enough...

climb because you like climbing, not because you want to 'go pro'

tradnomad

Feb 9, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #36 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree the earlier posts to this question were a bunch of dick heads. Dont get me wrong i love this site, but i hate how there are those typical regulars that form little cliques trying to run the site, and bully people. Stop this name calling "Troll" s---, everybody just be cool, and relax. Climbing is about having fun, we come on here to socialize, and get good beta, not put each other down just so we can feel better about ourselves.

It's not name calling... Troll = Trolling

Trolling - verb
a) To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.
b) Deliberately posting false information in order to elicit responses from people who really want to help.

I don't think anybody believes that the OP is a "real" person asking a real question, but rather someone with too much time on their hands who created a fake RC.com account and is posting stupid questions for fun (a longtime internet tradition :D ).

theledge

Feb 9, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #37 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Troll or not, who cares. Some people just ask questions that other people think are simple. In responce to the question I guess it depends on what you call pro. As already stated if you expect someone to just give you a check you will need to be a badass. If you are looking for funding for a trip try to get it sponsered by having a reason for it, ie significant fa, science research, or other. The simplest way to be a "pro" is just to get deals on gear. This is easier. Get a job involving climbing. Work at your climbing gym, work in retail, see if a local guide would prefer using you to haul gear over a burro.
I have my doubts as to if the op will ever come back to this sight, but this would be my advise.

lizard0fthetrail

Feb 9, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #38 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to be labeled pro, there's a simple solution.
1- Acquire large, white sticker.
2- Acquire large, bold, black marker.
3- Write "PRO" on said sticker
4- Remove shirt, apply sticker to chest and beanie to head.

quietsin

Feb 10, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #39 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man. I just joined this site and I'm already thinking about quitting. Maybe I'll go over to supertopos.com, and I'm scared to all hell of roping up. ;)

I don't know what this is worth to you but I'll try to tell you what I've gathered. I'm a climber who wants to be called a professional climber. I think its a beautiful term to describe what you do. If I were a lawyer, doctor or businessman who made millions, I would still bill myself as a professional climber if only because I love to climb and would love to be recognized for my passion.

Being a professional is about a few things, the top of which is being sponsored. Money is great but we all know its limited in our world. Two of my mentors are professional climbers. One teaches climbing to others and the other is the head of a company for climbing video's. Both of which have other jobs as well to supplement their income.

To become a professional, you have to put together a climbing resumee based on what you've done. If this means having gotten 1st in a bunch of ABS comps (or top 10 in comps with ALOT of competition, think former PCA's) or having recently sent the Mandala or Clockwork Orange, then put it on there along with a base of other ticks and then be PROACTIVE. Very few climbers will actually have a sponsor come up to them and take them under their wing. Recently one of the top climbers at the gym I go to in LA missed the regional ABS comp because he went to Utah to solicit sponsors at the Trade Show. If you have a decent resumee and look like you're going up in the world of climbing, that you want to send bigger, harder, faster and you conduct yourself professionally, you WILL make it. Just make sure you have the base. The younger you are, the better your chances.

My advice to you is not to bother with competitions yet, since they tend to be rather hard to make high ranking in unless you're in a small out of the way area. Pick a project, something several grades above your level, and begin to augment your muscle towards those moves. Eventually, given the right time, the hardest moves can become easy through muscle memory. I just hope you have the base to even get on the problems you choose to project... ;)

Hope this helps, and if someone has another opinion, by all means put it out here, for I am not a pro, and still learning myself... and by other opinions, I mean constructive advice. "Climb harder" is not constructive... its obvious, moot, and inane (if only because you realistically have no idea how hard that guy climbs).

Taylor

ikefromla

Feb 10, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #40 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb 5.15c. then retire. :wink:

climbsomething

Feb 10, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #41 of 41 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Man. I just joined this site and I'm already thinking about quitting. Maybe I'll go over to supertopos.com, and I'm scared to all hell of roping up. ;)
Yeah, they love boulderers and they're gentle there too... they lovingly stroke your back and put the lube under a heat lamp first!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook