Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cchaliens

Feb 9, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 53 (17729 views)
Shortcut

CCH responds
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

CCH has responded to Quietmonk with regards to the incident which he described on Feb. 2, 2005. We have requested he send in the Alien for review by a metallergist.

Regarding Boadman, his employment at CCH lasted for a total of 80 hours and does not make him an expert at the process of the manufacturing nor quality control of Alien Cams. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however.

Please understand that we are in the business of building a product that saves lives and we DO NOT take that lightly! Alien Cams have had a great reputation of performance and reliability for almost 20 years by climbers worldwide.

Thank you for using a great product that is designed, machined and manufactured entirely in the United States of America.

CCH, Inc.

jumpingrock

Feb 9, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Re: CCH responds [In reply to]
Report this Post

I don't believe you have too much to worry about. Very few people here were fooled by the argument "Look at how much more professional looking the C4 is" garbage. And those that were it's probably a good thing. You don't want those idiots using your gear anyway.

When it comes to small placements aliens are the way to go. I only wish they were cheaper. ;)

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 9, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #3 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
When it comes to small placements aliens are the way to go. I only wish they were cheaper. ;)

Cheaper!? id pay their weight in gold for them! i just wish i could get them more easily!

tchamber

Feb 9, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #4 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

1. I actually think aliens are pretty well priced.
2. Anyone who has used both aliens and camalots KNOW how much more solid aliens feel, and how much better they perform.
3. Gear is only statistacally safe, there is always a certain probability of failure. Place gear frequently, and place opposing pieces on the ground and at anchors.

My only complaint is that I only have one orange alien (I have doubles in green and yellow), and every crack seems to have a perfect spot to place it... There are days when it seems like the perfect rack would be a dozen orange aliens and nothing else. Thanks for the great product.

jumpingrock

Feb 9, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #5 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Cheaper!? id pay their weight in gold for them! i just wish i could get them more easily!

Perhaps I shoulda included the fact that I wish ALL gear was cheaper! :P

Partner angry

Feb 9, 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #6 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks for a great product guys.

vegastradguy

Feb 9, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #7 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

CCH rules! :D

(now if i could just get my paws on some hybrids...)

healyje

Feb 9, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #8 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think I can speak for most everyone one here in saying that availability, particularly of the hybrids, is the principal complaint about your products. We understand you are now laboring under a large REI contract to supply them, but many of us would like to see you avail yourselves of whatever would be required to up production (but obviously not at the expense of quality).

But this is a perrenial complaint and I know you've had many offers to help you expand production or to license your product. It's your business, but I sure would like to see you finally come to terms with the availability problem in some realistic and concrete way be it licensing, better production management, more staff, etc., or whatever it takes...

epic_ed

Feb 9, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Dave, thank you for your direct response. I suspect Quietmonk has an ax to grind with CCH and chose to fabricate this garbage instead of dealing with you directly. Several of us, fortunately, called him out and he has yet to produce any credible evidence of his claim and I suspect he never will.

Since we have your ear for a moment, what's the real story behind the scarce availability of Hybrids? Is it a simple supply & demand issue? How often do you guys make a batch of Hybrids compared to the frequency of regular Aliens? Just curious, if you don't mind. It would clarify a lot of questions we, the climbing masses, have had over the years about your products.

I currently own 34 Aliens of all shapes and sizes, and I want to publicly thank you for doing what you do and for making an excellent product. I never head to the crag without them on my rack, and the introduction of Hybrids to the market has enabled may aid routes to go clean where pins have been mandatory for upward progress by previous climbers. Your gear is an indispensible part of my climbing experience and your products have helped facilitate the "clean aid" evolution.

Much thanks,

Ed

nicklikesfire

Feb 9, 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #10 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
CCH has responded to Quietmonk with regards to the incident which he described on Feb. 2, 2005. We have requested he send in the Alien for review by a metallergist.

Regarding Boadman, his employment at CCH lasted for a total of 80 hours and does not make him an expert at the process of the manufacturing nor quality control of Alien Cams. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however.

Please understand that we are in the business of building a product that saves lives and we DO NOT take that lightly! Alien Cams have had a great reputation of performance and reliability for almost 20 years by climbers worldwide.

Thank you for using a great product that is designed, machined and manufactured entirely in the United States of America.
CCH, Inc.

Stop screwing around on the internet and start making hybrids.

(im kidding, it's nice to see a manufaturer respond directly to a question about their gear)

bubbahotep

Feb 9, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #11 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Regarding Boadman, his employment at CCH lasted for a total of 80 hours
CCH, Inc.

Apparently, that made him an expert in his mind.

In reply to:
I've taken 30+ foot whippers on cams that I made myself
In reply to:
After having worked at CCH for a summer, I would be a little leary of climbing on any aliens that I hadn't made myself.
In reply to:
a lot of his employees are pretty suspect. I would have more confidence in my redneck uncle Randy.

Who else is glad that this tool doesn't work at CCH anymore? :roll:

gunkjunkie

Feb 10, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #12 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Thanks for responding. In this day of outsourcing and the illtreatment of laborers in many plants run by American corporations or licensed by American corporations it is great to find a company which insists on manufacturing its product in the United States. Keep it up! :-)

Deirdre

Partner pt

Feb 10, 2005, 3:19 AM
Post #13 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Just a quick word on CCH customer service. I sent them an orange alien with frayed trigger wires (the unit was used extensively and this was normal wear and tear), I said that I would be happy to pay for trigger repairs because the unit was still in pretty good shape and I didn't want to retire it. Anyway I got the unit back repaired and working perfectly in about 4 days. They did not charge my credit card even though I included authorization to do so and gave them the number. Great service in my mind. I'll keep buying aliens because they are awesome pieces but also because it seems like a good company.

Partner ctardi

Feb 10, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #14 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Regarding Boadman, his employment at CCH lasted for a total of 80 hours
CCH, Inc.

Apparently, that made him an expert in his mind.

In reply to:
I've taken 30+ foot whippers on cams that I made myself
In reply to:
After having worked at CCH for a summer, I would be a little leary of climbing on any aliens that I hadn't made myself.
In reply to:
a lot of his employees are pretty suspect. I would have more confidence in my redneck uncle Randy.

Who else is glad that this tool doesn't work at CCH anymore? :roll:

I am, and i don't even own any CCH products. :lol:

flying_dutchman

Feb 10, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #15 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
I currently own 34 Aliens of all shapes and sizes

no wonder the rest of us can't find them in stock

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 10, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #16 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
I currently own 34 Aliens of all shapes and sizes,

jeez, i own 1/2 that many cams total...but the majority are aliens :D

climbsomething

Feb 10, 2005, 5:01 AM
Post #17 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, use common sense :roll:

Ed, gimme a few spares. I'll let yout "boost" me to the starting jug on Ship of Fools again :mrgreen:

Aliens are where it's at. I solemnly swear that my next gear purchase will be a green Alien, to be ceremoniously placed on Uncle Fester @ JTree...

http://www.hillarydavis.com/...bing/kolefester1.jpg yummy... Uncle Fester!!

mattm

Feb 10, 2005, 4:40 PM
Post #18 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
I think I can speak for most everyone one here in saying that availability, particularly of the hybrids, is the principal complaint about your products. We understand you are now laboring under a large REI contract to supply them, but many of us would like to see you avail yourselves of whatever would be required to up production (but obviously not at the expense of quality).

But this is a perrenial complaint and I know you've had many offers to help you expand production or to license your product. It's your business, but I sure would like to see you finally come to terms with the availability problem in some realistic and concrete way be it licensing, better production management, more staff, etc., or whatever it takes...

First off - Cheers to CCH for the professional response. I love aliens and will continue my support (verbally and financially) 2 sets through red, one set hybrids. I must say I've been impressed with the consistent stock of aliens at REIs. They FLY off the shelves and yet they're soon back to several deep. I consider this a good thing as a broader user base only supports the product more and more (and gives CCH more capital to expand or increase production) Heck, who knows, if all goes well with the REI contract, , maybe you'll see hybrids added to the selection. How great would that be?!? Hybrids for everyone! Heaven.

Partner jammer

Feb 10, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #19 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Man, I still don't know. I thought this new thread was the only way quietmonk would get people off his back. Think about it ... he slams with a troll, gets too hot, then creates this new thread to cool off the first.

Nice Play!

kman

Feb 10, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #20 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

CCH, Inc.

Stop screwing around on the internet and start making hybrids.

(im kidding, it's nice to see a manufaturer respond directly to a question about their gear)

LMAO!! :lol: Seriously though, it's pretty cool that you guys took the time to post here.

Partner philbox

Feb 11, 2005, 2:22 AM
Post #21 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yep, I`m very impressed that CCH took the time and trouble to make an extremely informative reply. Kudos to CCH and yes I am a supporter, I love my Aliens. Long live Aliens and CCH.

healyje

Feb 11, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #22 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
He who dies with the most toys wins...

Mattm, I think it's safe to say that in the case of this thread that s/he who dies with the most [hybrid] Aliens wins...

And that ain't me or the other folks waiting line for them. Right now I'd say Epic_Ed is winning by a long, long margin...

blakester

Feb 11, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #23 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For people in search of Hybrid Aliens:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CCH1050

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/CMP/KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/640112

http://knradventuregear.com/Camming%20Devices/cch_cams/cchhybaliens.htm

I've also seen a few on ebay recently.

Partner csgambill

Feb 11, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #24 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Call me a skeptic, but is CCHAliens really someone from CCH? Just curious.

climbs4fun

Feb 11, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #25 of 53 (17726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yes, it is Dave from CCH. He and his assistant contacted me to find out how best to deal with the other post.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook