RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

ABuchan

Nov 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #1 of 10 (8125 views)
Shortcut

Umbilical cord/grivel double spring
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know where I could find a cord, similar to the grivel double spring, for climbing leashless?

Thanks a lot.

Alpinisto

Nov 1, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 10 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ABuchan] Umbilical cord/grivel double spring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Yates used to make a double/Y-lanyard, but I might be mis-remembering it. (It's not on their Website now, but it might've been discontinued.)

Or, you could DIY it: http://www.alpinedave.com/leashless_rig.htm

chossmonkey

Nov 1, 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can make them pretty easily. The brent_e made some a couple years back. He might have made a post about it.

Basically he used some really thin webbing with shockcord inside. The webbing gives it some strength and the shock cord keeps the webbing from hanging all over.

I think he got all the supplies at the climbing/backpacking shop.

Carolyn11

Nov 1, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (8074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can still pick up the grivel double spring leash in climbing shops in the UK. It cost a little more, about $40.00 or so if you really want one. I got mine from a shop in scotland.

sorry I can't be more specific.

Carolyn11

Nov 1, 2008, 1:45 PM
Post #5 of 10 (8071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Found it!

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Axes_33.html#aGRI_20DSLS

ABuchan

Nov 1, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #6 of 10 (8029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carolyn11] Umbilical cord/grivel double spring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had seen that on that website actually. I was hoping to be able to buy it from a store in the US though and a cord that comes with little caribiners specially designed for clipping into ice tools

mattb1921

Nov 3, 2008, 1:07 AM
Post #7 of 10 (7970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carolyn11] Umbilical cord/grivel double spring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber

Nov 3, 2008, 1:43 AM
Post #8 of 10 (7954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just make your own with some tubular webbing, some shock cord, and a couple extra pieces of your own prefference. Adjust the length perfect to your and it's amazing.

That's what I did and it's worked great for the past 3 season.... Hold the phone, I think it's actually 5 season now. Holy Shite!

I do have access to the use of a bartacker now. I'll be making T_C Double Spring Leash Mk2 this season.Cool

Partner brent_e

Nov 13, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #9 of 10 (7827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Umbilical cord/grivel double spring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
You can make them pretty easily. The brent_e made some a couple years back. He might have made a post about it.

Basically he used some really thin webbing with shockcord inside. The webbing gives it some strength and the shock cord keeps the webbing from hanging all over.

I think he got all the supplies at the climbing/backpacking shop.

I don't think i did.

they were easy to make, though, and cost about 10 bucks.
if you make them with tiny load bearing carabiners (more useful in a pinch) they cost more, but i'd say they're worth it.

here's how.
you need about 2.5meters of 1/2inch tubular webbing
1.5meters of elastic cord.
2 or 3 carabiners of your choice (you can find 600lb load biners that are small but any of the new ultra tiny UIAA ones will be better)
about 30 minutes

step 1) thread the shock cord through the webbing. if you have a coat hanger or something this will speed things up. it will bunch up a bit. a pin or some method of keeping the ends of the cord from going in the webbing will be helpful.
step 2) with a couple inches of shock cord sticking out one end, tie a loop in the cord and the webbing. an overhand works. leave some tail and enough room to clip a biner, and snug this tight! Remember how much webbing it took to tie the knot for step 4.
step 3) figure out how long you want the cords to be. this is where you'll have to test things. You probably won't want a tonne of tension as it will pull on your tools. too little tension and the tethers get in the way. the length will change with your height a bit, too, as your arms will be longer as well as the length from your harness to the bottom of your tools. fully stretched mine are 37inches (i'm 5'10") when they are double in half. I figured this would allow me to load the cords from placed tools in an emergency without having to fall very far. whatever length you want, measure and mark it on the webbing (from the loop on one end to your measurement) - 40 inches should work for most . if you don't want to have any tension in the cords, use 48 inches. Remember, too short and you can't climb so you'll have to redo step 4.
step 4) bunch the webbing up on the cord. make sure you can stretch the shock cord enough to load the webbing!
when you've bunched the cord inside adequately, pinch the webbing on your mark and let the remaining webbing un-bunch. You'll need about 8 inches or so to tie another over hand knot but use the amount you figured in step 2! Tie the loop.

now you have 2 loops in either end and one more loop to tie.

step 5) hold both loops in 1 hand, stretch the cord to find the middle with your other. this is where you can tie the third loop to clip to your harness. tying this with unbunched cord is best, and leave a larger loop if you want to simply girth hitch the tether to your harness.

you should be done. you might have to redo things for length, but that should be it.

(This post was edited by brent_e on Nov 14, 2008, 3:48 AM)

Freney

Jan 8, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #10 of 10 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

I own a small startup that manufactures climbing equipment and our first product is the umbelical cord you mention.

You can see the Boa Leash (umbellical cord) at http://www.blueice.com

We ship the product internationally at €20 plus a small shipping cost of €8 (or you can find it at Snell in Chamonix Mont Blanc). If you are interested, please send an email to contact@blueice.com. Orders of €75 and above come with free shipping.

(This post was edited by Freney on Aug 3, 2009, 12:44 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook