Forums: Climbing Information: General:
hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ribotto

Nov 8, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1693 views)
Shortcut

hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey there. a question or 2 for all you savvy and experienced climbers/boulderers out there. i'm from northern ontario, canada, and will be doing a bit of a road trip down south in a month. i'm going to be driving down through to colorado to do some early season skiing until about the 15th or 16th of december, when i plan to find some climbing/bouldering.

my original plan was to try hueco tanks out, but a few of my friends that i was supposed to meet there don't think they can afford the flight to meet me. my second idea was to hit up red rock instead, as it's close enough to vegas to make a trip more affordable, flight-wise. i'm a fairly new climber, 5.8/5.9 being about the level i'm currently climbing at...but my main question..........

what's the weather like in red rock (or anywhere around there) in mid december? i've grown up in one of the colder climates in canada, but climbing in the cold sucks. if there's a rainy season in southern nevada...is it anywhere near when i'll be there? i am going to be in southern AZ for xmas, and a day or 2 before and after, so hueco was close, and red rock is close enough as well...but yea, any other ideas?

any and all thoughts or suggestions would be awesome and greatly appreciated. cheers!!!!

(This post was edited by ribotto on Nov 8, 2009, 6:45 PM)

vegastradguy

Nov 8, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ribotto] hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weather is generally pretty good here in december, although it can vary year to year. temps are fine- usually in the high 50s, low 60s that time of year, if not warmer. right now we're in the high 70s.

the biggest problem is if it does rain, you may not be able to climb for 3-4 days, depending. the books tell you one day, but thats if its not cloudy and decently warm. in the cold winter with an overcast...

at any rate, forecasts are pretty good- anything over 30% and its going to rain, below that, and it'll probably just spit at the most.

potreroed

Nov 8, 2009, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ribotto] hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're in southern Arizona you should climb at Mt. Lemmon or Cochise Stronghold--why drive all the way to Red Rocks or Hueco tanks??

ribotto

Nov 8, 2009, 9:00 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it mostly came down to when and where my climbing partner could afford to fly into...vegas is cheap to get to from where we are in ontario. tucson, not so cheap. i'll only be in AZ for 3 or 4 days w/ family anyway, that and...i guess i should have said earlier, i'm by no means a trad climber (yet) and isn't a good chunk of cochise & lemmon trad stuff? i might be entirely wrong. but i did see a fair bit of stuff at lemmon this past april that made me want to be a trad master...it's gorgeous up there for sure!

Kyle10376

Nov 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dude, if you want to do some fun, fly into reno, nv snowboard in mammoth for a few days then roll south to bishop. its like another hour drive and the weather is stellar for bouldering. think about it.

ribotto

Nov 21, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kyle10376] hueco tanks or red rock (or elsewhere) in mid december??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think i'll have time for mammoth this trip (and i'll be hitting up steamboat for 4 days, breckenridge for 2, and both alta/jackson hole for 2 each as well. bases mostly covered!), but yea we might hit up bishop for a bouldering day for sure...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook