RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Mar 3, 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 24 (7786 views)
Shortcut

The Climbing Metamorphosis
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Initially Climbing for me had been another recreational sport in lieu of crew, weights, and other sports
However it hasn't been for me just turning into a butterfly from a caterpillar, its had many twists and turns.

Noticing along the way others who climb still even after they have been injured, don't give it up.

There's some inner force driving us to climb, wanting to play the game dare.

Whos's more invincible? , who takes the greatest risks? who gets back up after shattered and hurt?

What has been your metamorphosis? Have you noticed its change in you?
Starting as a beginner climber and progressing along similar routes like snowboarding or not?

Share your thoughts on your climbing metamorphosis from when you started until now,.
How has climbing changed you internally aside from the obvious sport?

blueeyedclimber

Mar 4, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #2 of 24 (7776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...a%20climber;#2416258

Josh

caughtinside

Mar 4, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #3 of 24 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

well, I pretty much don't have any friends who don't climb anymore.

Then I looked around at my friends who climbed, and realized they aren't my friends at all, but a bunch of guys who are trying to kill me.

wonderwoman

Mar 4, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 24 (7687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug.

TheRucat

Mar 4, 2011, 3:36 AM
Post #5 of 24 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug.

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

wonderwoman

Mar 4, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 24 (7666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheRucat] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheRucat wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

In my world, it would be a giant, red, Gunks millipede.

jacques

Mar 4, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #7 of 24 (7662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A book change how I practice climbing, I never did it like a recreational sport, never risk my life voluntary and have been hurt once seriously. The book is premier de cordee, frison roche. It is wrote in french. The author described the cliff, but also the social relation between people and mountain. It is the story of an accident where the guide died and the other loose part of his feet. The second part is why they came back to climb, how important are friends and how they train to avoid accident and have fun. I didn't make a metamorphosis, but I fly a lot of time.

jbro_135

Mar 4, 2011, 4:30 AM
Post #8 of 24 (7645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

5 stars well done

milesenoell

Mar 4, 2011, 5:51 AM
Post #9 of 24 (7614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

winner!

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 7:28 AM
Post #10 of 24 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

Great Story. Interesting metaphor/analogy for climbers don't you think? Smile

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 7:34 AM
Post #11 of 24 (7576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That was a wonderful post, thanks for sharing.
So is that story completely true?
Did you climb as a child?

blueeyedclimber

Mar 4, 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #13 of 24 (7534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

The climbing years are figurative, not literal. The first sentence sets the scene in 2002, when I was 30. I was merely relating a climber's behaviors to a person growing up. Try and keep up will you? Cool

Josh

gmggg

Mar 4, 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #14 of 24 (7498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Initially Climbing for me had been another recreational sport in lieu of crew, weights, and other sports
However it hasn't been for me just turning into a butterfly from a caterpillar, its had many twists and turns.

Noticing along the way others who climb still even after they have been injured, don't give it up.

Whos's more invincible? , who takes the greatest risks? who gets back up after shattered and hurt?

Starting as a beginner climber and progressing along similar routes like snowboarding or not?

Share your thoughts on your climbing metamorphosis from when you started until now,.

I clicked on this thread expecting to see something about the wonderful Patrick Bérault.

I didn't, here's what your OP should have said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSevTRwmZpU

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2011, 3:35 PM
Post #15 of 24 (7483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coming back from a bad accident.....for some it might be metamorphosis, but it could just be confirmation of a true love.

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #16 of 24 (7448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Coming back from a bad accident.....for some it might be metamorphosis, but it could just be confirmation of a true love.

That or it could just be an attempt to hold onto the one and only thing that outwarldy defined who you were. Tongue

potreroed

Mar 4, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #17 of 24 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been hooked and climbing since day one--the only metamorphosis was going from hard-core trad to sport, which was mostly fueled by climbing on limestone. Now I clip bolts 7 or 8 months and place gear the rest of the year.

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #18 of 24 (7345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
enigma wrote:

I clicked on this thread expecting to see something about the wonderful Patrick Bérault.

I didn't, here's what your OP should have said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSevTRwmZpU

Alain Robert is amazing. Thanks for sharing those you tubes video, I enjoyed them ! Truly a metamorphosis especially when he sleeps in the rock and then awakens.

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #19 of 24 (7337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
A book change how I practice climbing, I never did it like a recreational sport, never risk my life voluntary and have been hurt once seriously. The book is premier de cordee, frison roche. It is wrote in french. The author described the cliff, but also the social relation between people and mountain. It is the story of an accident where the guide died and the other loose part of his feet. The second part is why they came back to climb, how important are friends and how they train to avoid accident and have fun. I didn't make a metamorphosis, but I fly a lot of time.

I would enjoy reading the book sounds like a great story. Need to learn french, I'm half canadian and my family in still in Quebec.
How's the climbing there btw? When does the season begin.
It sounds like you have found the middle ground to avoid an accident and have fun.
So now its flying ? Where you can soar in the sky and try to be a free bird, seems like a option for a climber.
Somehow I like the closeness with the rock, almost like we become one. Tongue

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #20 of 24 (7328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

That is great!! It must be difficult to do, both mentally and physically.
Only the best to you in your ongoing pursuit of climbing.
Are you fully recovered?
It would be wonderful to hear your story to give other climbers in a similar circumstance the impetus to continue with their passion.

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #21 of 24 (7319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] The Climbing Metamorphosis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
Been hooked and climbing since day one--the only metamorphosis was going from hard-core trad to sport, which was mostly fueled by climbing on limestone. Now I clip bolts 7 or 8 months and place gear the rest of the year.

I've heard the climbing is great in Chico. Sounds like you have a great time, as well. So do you think your trad skills have lessened, since you are mainly doing sport climbs now?
Limestone is unique around here, but I have climbed in an area nearby that has some, however its a secret crag.
Probably drinking margaritas and eating nachos right now? Tongue

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #22 of 24 (7315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:

The climbing years are figurative, not literal. The first sentence sets the scene in 2002, when I was 30. I was merely relating a climber's behaviors to a person growing up. Try and keep up will you? Cool

Josh

Yes, Guess around 2:00 am after climbing and being exhausted, but not wanting to go to sleep my attention span gets weary.
It is a good story and your analogies are lucid.

Rmsyll2

Mar 5, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #23 of 24 (7251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OP said "Noticing along the way others who climb still even after they have been injured, don't give it up."

There are two cases of that where I climb. One is sad, one is embarrassing. A young man who, as a reply said, had defined himself as a climber making impressive progress, was in a horrible car wreck. His "metamorphosis" left half his skin as scar, some bones are missing and some are grafts, half of one foot is gone. He still comes out, now and then, besides going to an indoor facility, sometimes with his girlfriend whom he coaches and encourages and belays; sometimes alone hoping to connect with someone. One time, that was me, who climbed for the first time in over two years with an extra harness he carries for that. Recently, I belayed him. He suffers every foot of the way, sweating and oathing and keeping going. Just the walk back uphill to his car is rasping torture. But he refuses to admit that he can no longer do what he had loved to do. He is saving his money to do Everest.

The other fellow had a fall which ripped open a forearm. After three operations, he has three fingers and a thumb that can hook and hold with amazing strength, but not do much else. He said today that he has become a master at matching hands on a grip, with one so narrow now. He said he was climbing the day after the last stitches came out. Photo was last weekend on a 5.10b roof. Today he went up a 5.11 route that is all tiny finger pockets along a vertical crack, and then pulled a 5.11d face with an overhang that takes a lunge to a one-hand slanting crack for a pull-up to a jug above. In between, he was belaying and coaching a fellow who followed on his routes, advancing a whole grade too.

Attachments: Inspiration.jpg (55.8 KB)

potreroed

Mar 7, 2011, 6:03 PM
Post #24 of 24 (7079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
potreroed wrote:

I've heard the climbing is great in Chico. Sounds like you have a great time, as well. So do you think your trad skills have lessened, since you are mainly doing sport climbs now?
Limestone is unique around here, but I have climbed in an area nearby that has some, however its a secret crag.
Probably drinking margaritas and eating nachos right now? Tongue

My trad skills are still good but after a serious accident 4 years ago and a year without climbing my overall strength and endurance have never fully recovered--prolly due to my age, 61.

Don't do the margaritas--I drink my tequila straight.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook