Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Has anyone here climbed up the El Cap descent to the giant steel rings?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

donaldjamesperry

Jun 19, 2019, 3:52 AM
Post #1 of 1 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone here climbed up the El Cap descent to the giant steel rings?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Back so many years ago doing the Salathe Route my son and I took along so many gallons of water the total haul weight was 500 pounds. After topping out on El Cap we went down by way of the East Ledges, we hiked and rapped down 45 degree angle slabs until we got to a vertical cliff. We had rappelled down those 45 degree angle slabs as far down and to the east as one could go with 150# haul bags (skiers left) along the top of the vertical cliff. Needless to say we had plenty of food and water. But, in order to sympathize with some other crack heads on this forum I emptied out all the extra water too see what it was like running out on route. I figured it was the least I could do. I found out by noon that I needed water a lot more then I thought I would, and ... all that was too much for me. Anyway, we had got off route and went straight down the gully next to the cliff on the left to the top to the edge of a cliff where there were giant 2" steel eye bolts cemented into the wall. Who did that? We were prepared to come back up while rapping down from there, and that idea worked, we found other anchors along the way. But in the mean time we hired by cell phone some guys to haul our bags the rest of the way and bring some water fast. So... I was wondering has anyone here ever climbed up that way? It's to the right of the normal rappel route as you face the cliff, there is a waterfall there when it rains.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook