RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

02blackavalanche

May 2, 2009, 5:59 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Ankle Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently layed up with an ankle injury I sustained back @ the end of December. Originally thought to be a sprain, but later found out to be much more. After about 6 weeks of walking on it found what I believe was a torn posterior tibialis tendon. Then after another few weeks found out I actually fractured my ankle in three or so spots including the medial- and lateral-malleolus. So, been in a cast for the past 9 weeks or so and going insane. Will probably have it scoped in another 3 weeks.

Any good tips for 1) staying/getting in shape while layed up; 2) speeding up this recovery process; 3) how long should I stay away from climbing.

Now as a no-brainer, I should "listen to the doctor," but I would like to get the scoop from people who actually are in the sport and may have experienced a similar injury.

Thanks for the input, all I ask, keep it constructive.

dingus

May 2, 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [02blackavalanche] Ankle Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Push yourself. Push the dr. Push the PT. Push push push.

Nake evryone in the chain of influence on your ankle clear - it is YOUR ankle, then push push push

Ride your bike for all local trips. Do it one legged now, if you must, but do it. If you're on crutches your arms and shoulders are getting a pretty good workout anyway, but get fancy with those sticks! Work em baby.

You need at least ONE pic of you on TR in your cast. I have one of my purple cast from a triple-break. (of course don't do that if its gonna tear something)

Take every muthafuggin thing I wrote up there with a big ole grain of salt. I'm sort of an injury machine and my advice is WAY suspect.

DMT

ps. PUSH!

02blackavalanche

May 3, 2009, 3:41 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Ankle Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha! I will see if I can get that photo with my blue and pink cast!

Terry2124

May 4, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

02blackavalanche wrote:
I am currently layed up with an ankle injury I sustained back @ the end of December. Originally thought to be a sprain, but later found out to be much more. After about 6 weeks of walking on it found what I believe was a torn posterior tibialis tendon. Then after another few weeks found out I actually fractured my ankle in three or so spots including the medial- and lateral-malleolus. So, been in a cast for the past 9 weeks or so and going insane. Will probably have it scoped in another 3 weeks.

Any good tips for 1) staying/getting in shape while layed up; 2) speeding up this recovery process; 3) how long should I stay away from climbing.

Now as a no-brainer, I should "listen to the doctor," but I would like to get the scoop from people who actually are in the sport and may have experienced a similar injury.

Thanks for the input, all I ask, keep it constructive.

After it comes off you are going to have to strengthen it with some exercises and get it as flexible as you can after the strength is there.

jolery

May 6, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man I am currently recovering from a decent sprain – couldn’t support weight/walk for three weeks, after about 6-7 weeks, I am currently about 80% - don’t have full mobility, still some pain/inflammation. What I did was hit the weights pretty hard, focusing more on climbing related exercises like pull-ups and forearm strengthening exercises. The strength/endurance gains you get won’t directly correlate to climbing as many people on here like to go on about, but for me it kept me in decent shape and more importantly kept me from going totally bat shit crazy from not getting outside and climbing, biking, running, etc. I also tackled my strength/weight ratio by sorting out my eating habits, cutting out excess sugar and late night eating. I’ve lost like 4-5 pounds since my injury while increasing my strength.

Returned to climbing for first time last weekend. I opted for a TR to avoid further injury potential – it was good shit, on thin edging felt like my ankle was going to fall apart though. Like Dingus said, don’t be afraid to push, especially when you get your cast off. Just know when to stop and take it easy – listen to your body. My rule for me is if it hurts a moderate amount – cool. If it hurts a shitload, stop.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook