Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Nov 15, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #26 of 128 (20695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stormeh] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here is a photo from Day 9 of my recovery.

I was hoping that day 9 Doctor visit would result in removal of my stitches. No such luck. They cut the bandages off my toe, wiped it down with alcohol and put the bandages back on. I was disappointed because I want to take a shower without plastic bags on my foot. I also want to wear a regular shoe, this boot thing really hurts to walk in.

I now have to do range of motion with my big toe. It's really hard to do because it's rather tender.

I did try climbing inside on Saturday. It was hard and it wasn't that much fun. I climbed on the outside edge of my boot, but it took a lot of extra strength to climb without full use of my right foot. I am going to visit with a personal trainer on Monday. I am hoping I can do something else to maintain (maybe even improve) my strength.

I have my second surgery on the 23rd. Not going into the second surgery happily. In fact, they are going to have to drag me into the OR.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Nov 15, 2009, 9:54 PM)

gblauer

Nov 16, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #27 of 128 (20672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started training with a personal trainer today. I feel nauseous, so I guess that means I had a good workout.

Hoping to improve core and leg strength while maintaining upper body strength. Climbing with the boot will do more damage than good...I climbed today and it was hard. It's so hard to use the boot on the little jibs. Once I have the other foot done, my climbing days are officially over.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Nov 17, 2009, 1:11 PM)

mojomonkey

Nov 17, 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #28 of 128 (20643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could have done without seeing that foot photo ;)

Good luck on the remaining surgery and recovery, and stay patient. Don't risk your recovery!

Stormeh

Nov 18, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #29 of 128 (20617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer,

Would you mind explaining a bit about what they did during the surgery? How do they surgically correct severe arthritis?

Thanks.

gblauer

Nov 18, 2009, 9:22 PM
Post #30 of 128 (20613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I have good cartilage and joint space, they simply had to "shave" off the bad bone that my body had been creating. The bad bone was causing significant pain and a very decreased range of motion.

gblauer

Nov 24, 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #31 of 128 (20542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had Surgery #2 yesterday.

My right foot feels positively normal compared to my left!

It all went far easier this time. I have less pain this time (took my pain meds correctly). I am back on crutches so I don't think I will get to the personal trainer this week. I was hoping to go this Friday, but, i am not sure I will feel well enough to go.

So, with two "bad" feet, it looks like I am out of climbing for at least 10 weeks.

Gmburns2000

Nov 24, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #32 of 128 (20538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, not being able to walk far on Thanksgiving sounds like...
...shit, it sounds like an opportunity to milk that servant sympathy card as much as possible! Cool

good luck with the recovery gail. this has been a wild past few weeks for you!

granite_grrl

Nov 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #33 of 128 (20533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

10 weeks will run by faster than you think. Don't let it get you down.

Trixie

Nov 25, 2009, 1:34 PM
Post #34 of 128 (20495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The time will fly by if you entertain yourself with climbing mags, catalogues and planning your dream trip. You don't actually have to intend to go on your dream trip, just design it and work out what it would cost. You never know, you might end up doing it in the future.

I wish you a speedy recovery, but don't rush it.

Trixie Cool

gblauer

Nov 25, 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #35 of 128 (20495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the suture removal on my right foot.

I had left foot done on Monday, it went much easier, but, I am in pain on this rainy Wednesday morning. I cannot put any weight on my left foot so I am using my crutches.

I was hoping to go to the personal trainer on Friday, but, I don't think that I will be mobile enough to be effective. I guess I will wait until next week.

gblauer

Nov 26, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #36 of 128 (20468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is my left foot 1 day after surgery. It seems far less swollen/bruised than my right foot.

Trixie

Nov 26, 2009, 4:04 PM
Post #37 of 128 (20462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good God!! What on earth are all those suture tails about? Looks like you've been attacked by by a rogue basketweaver having a breakdown Laugh

gblauer

Nov 26, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #38 of 128 (20460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trixie] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
Good God!! What on earth are all those suture tails about? Looks like you've been attacked by by a rogue basketweaver having a breakdown Laugh

I think one of the residents stitched me up. Many more stitches on this side than on the right. They use the long tails to pull up when they remove the sutures.

This is one way to get out of cooking a thanksgiving meal, although I do not recommend it!

Trixie

Nov 26, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #39 of 128 (20454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They need that much just to pull them up? How big are their fingers?? I had tiny tails in sutures in my leg after a biopsy and had to remove them myself. They had tiny tails and I had no difficulty. Be very careful you don't catch them on anything - they're gonna behave like untied shoelaces. Ouch!!!

gblauer

Dec 1, 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #40 of 128 (20396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An update:

Almost 4 weeks since my first foot surgery and 1 week since my second foot surgery.

I cannot shake the pure exhaustion that has accompanied me since the first surgery. I have been trying to limit my travel and I am trying to keep my feet elevated most of the time. Fortunately, I can do much of my job from home (on a temporary basis).

I have been to the personal trainer 4 times and will be going 2x per week for the next 12 weeks. I cannot climb for 12 weeks so I am hoping to stay in shape (actually improve fitness) by working with the personal trainer.

I am hoping that my energy level will improve in the next week or so. I have never felt this drained in all of my life. I am amazed at how difficult it has been with the personal trainer. I am using muscles that I certainly haven't climbing. My goal is to be ready for El Potrero Chico in March.

Trixie

Dec 2, 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #41 of 128 (20380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, glad the recovery is on track.

It's pretty normal to feel totally drained after surgery. To begin with the general anaesthetic takes a bit of getting over, but don't forget you're doing alot of healing. That is going to take quite a bit out of you.

When I broke my wrist the dr warned me I'd feel exhausted for 4-5 weeks and he wasn't kidding! Take it slowly and don't overdo it.

Trixie Cool

Trixie

Dec 7, 2009, 3:00 PM
Post #42 of 128 (20324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How are your "embroidery" projects getting on? Hope the pain has diminished and you're feeling more cheerful.

Trixie Cool

gblauer

Dec 7, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #43 of 128 (20322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha ha. I have a new hobby; baking xmas cookies for everyone I know and strangers too! I spent the weekend baking cookies for soldiers in Afghanistan. We shipped a bunch of cartons this morning.

Two problems with this new hobby:
1) I eat so much cookie dough and finished product I feel sick
2) Said consumption certainly doesn't help my weight

Sadly, I will have to quite this hobby soon. I have been going to the personal trainer 2x per week and he is killing me. I am so sore for two - three days afterwards. I am beginning to love it. (ok, I am far ffrom loving it, but, at least I am starting to look forward to our sessions.)

I went to the rock gym on Saturday to kick off my womens climb training sessions. It was wonderful to be there, but I was so jealous of the climbing. Yes, I did try and climb and No, it wasn't good. The right foot was in a sneaker, but, I cannot "toe" and the left foot still has a nice row of stitches and is in a boot. So, there I was gimping my way up the wall. By the way, none of my "friends" would belay me. I had to beg a fellow "crazy" to help me.

Thanks for asking!

dingus

Dec 7, 2009, 3:42 PM
Post #44 of 128 (20315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Gail

Somehow I missed all this. Heal up girl! As others have said, give it time. I can assure you... 20 years from now this down time from climbing will be irrelevant!

My thoughts are with you.

DMT

gblauer

Dec 11, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #45 of 128 (20257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hooray,I got the stitches out of my left foot today. That's the good news. The bad news is that my skin is infected and I am now on keflex.

My right foot is slowly getting better, yesterday I was able to get up on my big toe without too much pain. The doc wants me to stay off the climbing wall until February. So, in the mean time I am continuing with the personal trainer and actually starting to look forward to our sessions.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Dec 18, 2009, 1:03 PM)

boymeetsrock

Dec 11, 2009, 6:04 PM
Post #46 of 128 (20251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like your body is handling this pretty well Gail. (infection aside) From what you were writing pre-op it sounded like a bit tougher recovery. Glad to hear about the steady progress. Keep up the good work!!

Trixie

Dec 15, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #47 of 128 (20201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How's the infection doing? Hope it's cleared up by now. Are you finding much improvement yet in your pain levels in comparision to what it was like pre-op?

Send some cookies by e-mail, I'm hungry just reading about 'em.

Trixie Cool

Stormeh

Jan 7, 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #48 of 128 (20108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been a while...how's it going now?

gblauer

Jan 7, 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #49 of 128 (20097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Thanks for asking. I got lazy about posting during the holidays.

I will post a photo as soon as I get back to my camera.

The infection cleared very quickly and now I am in the process of letting the bone recover. I am actually very discouraged. While my husband, Mitch, says my walking pace is "back up to airport speed" I can assure you, it's not without pain. I cannot push off my toes without substantial discomfort. The thought of toeing on a climb is truly discouraging. i was hoping to kick off the climbing season in Mexico, but, honestly I don't think I will be ready.

I see the doc on Tuesday, I am going to push for some answers. Like...who the heck did my left foot? It's soooo much different from my right foot, in almost every respect. From healing time to scar to incision size. How long is it really going to take for me to be pain free? Will I ever be pain free?

In the mean time, I have been working with a personal trainer. I hate the sessions, he pushes me to the brink of nauseaa every time, trust me it's not fun and lately I have been avoiding him.

I was hoping that the down time would help some of my other chronic overuse injuries, but, that's not really going as planned. My tendonitis in my elbow and shoulder are still flaring up, my fingers still hurt and click when I bend them. I really tweaked my fingers bowling the other day, they feel like they do after a hard gym session. All swollen and nasty looking.

The truth is, I am old. My body will never recover like it used to. I have to face the fact that my recovery for all of my injuries will be very slow. The problem is, I am very impatient. I am passionate about climbing and I am itchy to get back at it.

So, if I have to wait longer than I expected, I think I will spend some time studying the mental aspects of climbing and see if I can boost my mental fitness at the same time as my physical fitness.

I have big goals for the upcoming season at the Gunks.

Stormeh

Jan 7, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #50 of 128 (20094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update, I'm sorry to hear recovery isn't going as well as hoped for. I've seen 3 doctors now about my toe problem, and 2 have given me consensus that surgery is likely the only way to relieve my pain since we have tried all of the conservative treatments for months now. I'm going to see at least 2 more doctors before really considering it.

Please keep updating this thread!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook