First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

skibabeage
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #51 of 87 (23866 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

deleted
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #52 of 87 (23865 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in Eldorado Canyon 10/21/04 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:77639a65fb="skibabeage"][quote:77639a65fb="nagual"]Sorry about your friend, but the story doesn't make sense. Sounds like you and Angus lost communication didn't have a rope tug system to communicate. You thought he wanted slack we in fact he was falling??? Sounds like you gave him lots of slack and feel far or he pendulumed hard sideways and feel sounds like he was traversing, maybe didn't place enough gear and swung down and the belayer gave him slack by mistake at the sametime?

Anybody make sense out of this???[/quote:77639a65fb]

Actually, no. This isn't what I interpreted from Alexey's post at all. Your thoughts in the last sentence are pretty undiscernable as well.

I would recommend that trying to solve the mystery publically be put aside out of respect for Angus, his family and friends. We might never know exactly what happened, and that's alright. Yes, safety is everyone's concern, and I have no doubt every safety was being taken. But this is, for now, not the place to figure it out. Let the bereaved grieve in peace.

Thanks,
Martha
Site Management[/quote:77639a65fb]

huh? So you think it's better to wallow in despair then learn something life saving from this?

edge

Oct 26, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #53 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I would recommend that trying to solve the mystery publically be put aside out of respect for Angus, his family and friends. We might never know exactly what happened, and that's alright. Yes, safety is everyone's concern, and I have no doubt every safety was being taken. But this is, for now, not the place to figure it out. Let the bereaved grieve in peace.

Thanks,
Martha
Site Management

huh? So you think it's better to wallow in despair then learn something life saving from this?

Well said, Martha.

Nagual, if there is something to be learned from this, then it will likely be determined by the local Search and Rescue, police, or other authorities, not by some across the country internet sleuthing by anyone who is unfamiliar with the route, weather conditions, or any of the particulars. If and when the authorities come to a conclusion, then I am sure it will be made public. That has not happened yet.

As for Angus' family and friends, my deepest and most heartfelt condolences. He sounds like he was a wonderful human being and I regret never getting an opportunity to meet him.

timstich

Oct 26, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #54 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you are just curious, nagual, and it's perfectly alright to say so. It's just that this accident hits too close to home for some. It's right in our backyard. PM me if you want to discuss anything. I only know what I have read and my own knowledge of the South Butress of Redgarden Wall where they were.

Hopefully later, when a week or so has passed, we can look at this accident again.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 26, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #55 of 87 (23865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get me wrong I am sorry for those directly affected by this. Hopefully in time we can learn from this.

usmc_2tothetop

Oct 27, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #56 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Posts like this remind me of how some people try to break down a tragedy like this to every little detail to get the why, how, the who, and what (went wrong). This passion is dangerous and can not go without sacrifice. It was very interesting to read the posts of the family members and close friends. To put a face and character to the loss instead of just another number. We have some great people in this community and this thread reminds me to stay sharp when I'm out there.

Partner climboard

Oct 27, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #57 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to Angus's family and friends. He sounds like the type of person we'd all be happy to have shared a rope with.

climbsomething

Oct 27, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #58 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As this web site grows, more people who signed on and posted here will be affected, if not killed, by climbing accidents.

As climbers, we have a keen and vested interest in dissecting the ins and outs of accidents. As humans, we have morbid curiosity. As internet junkies, some of us have a tendency to make incindiary and crass statements in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sadly, I hope I never meet an ill fate on the rock, not only for my own well-being, but to avoid having to answer to the jackholes of the internet, or having my mother, who I know lurks here, read some incoherent slander about how stupid I was.

Thank you skibs and others for keeping this thread a warm and accepting place for people to mourn as well as send positive thoughts toward Angus and his family. May the Lord bless and keep Angus, his children, his family and his friends, and may we all be touched by a wonderful climbing spirit like Angus. Peace.

Partner pt

Oct 27, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #59 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a beautiful post by Skibabeage, it brought tears to my eyes.

rocksolid

Oct 28, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #60 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also like to send my condolences to Angus's family and friends. Agnus sounds like he was a great guy!

Craig

Partner nextascent

Oct 28, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #61 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in Eldorado Canyon 10/21/04 "Angus" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Skibs....I thought the same thing (scottish accent). That name was a dead giveaway. The blessing was wonderful!

sportyj

Oct 28, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #62 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in Eldorado Canyon 10/21/04 "Angus" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My sincerest condolences, I cannot imagine the difficulty of losing someone so special. You are all in my prayers.

angus21

Oct 29, 2004, 1:14 AM
Post #63 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello, this is Cindy, Angus’ fiancée. Bear with me as I try to put into words all of the thoughts and feelings I’m having. I wanted to post here sooner but didn’t have the ability to do so. Let me start out with my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and words. They bring much comfort to me and my family. I am in awe of the overwhelming support I’ve received from the climbing community.

I’d like to share my thoughts and memories of Angus. I had talked with Angus on the phone several times (like 10 hours worth) before we actually met in person. By the time I met him I really didn’t care what he looked like. Here’s what I saw; dimples deep enough to park a car, a constant smile, and the most beautiful soul. My kids thought he was a possible axe murderer for the first oh, 5 minutes or so but then realized how genuine he was and grew to love him like a father. That was almost 4 years ago and I can honestly say those years were some of my very best. A month after I met him he asked me to marry him (for the first time, but not the last). I thought he was joking or just plain wacko but what I learned quickly is that if he felt it, he spoke it.

Our first camping trip that summer was near Grand Lake over the 4th of July weekend. We did the usual things and a few unusual things. One night we jumped over the fire, naked. We carved A + C on a tree. (I respect nature very much, but at the time it seemed like a great idea.). And, of course, we watched the most spectacular fireworks over Grand Lake. We went camping often and two of the trips really stand out in my mind. We were looking at a map and found the trailhead to Lake Evelyn was very close. On the map it appeared to be roughly a mile or so hike to the lake. We decided to take his blowup boat in case the fishing was good. The four of us set off, Angus, me, Alex and Cass at about 1:00 p.m. We were dressed in shorts, t-shirts, had one bottle of water and a granola bar. Angus was carrying the boat on his shoulder and the kids and I were lugging all the fishing gear and paddles. We hiked forever (turned out to be 5.7 miles) through a couple of snow drifts and kept filling the water bottle with snow. Five hours and 3000 feet higher (I might be exaggerating about the change in altitude), we finally found the wretched lake. It was the most beautiful site. We launched the boat and paddled around while it rained/snowed on us the whole time. The trip down took only 45 minutes because it was so steep and we finally arrived back at the trail head. The next day, we were driving around and spotted a huge pipe (about 7’ in diameter) that went under the road with the river running through it. As we stood on the edge of the pipe looking into the river, Angus got the idea that we could jump into the water. We figured if we jumped to the right about 4 feet out we would land in what looked like a pretty deep hole. He went first and came up yelling because the water was so cold. Duh, it was from that wretched Lake Evelyn. We spent the rest of the camping trip jumping into ‘the swimming hole’ and had the best time.

The last time we went camping was this past summer. As he spent more and more time climbing, it was difficult to pry him away. We took the go-cart he had given Cass for Christmas (the one in the picture). As soon as we had set up camp, he spotted a gigantic mud hole that measured about 10’ by 15’. Next thing I know, he’s flying down the road in the go cart and screams through the mud hole at full speed. Everyone took a turn or 20, yes, even me. I’ve never been covered with so much dirt and it was a BLAST! I went down to the river to get cleaned up in the freezing water from that wretched Lake Evelyn and he gave me a ride back to camp in the go cart. Yes, you guessed it. He drove me through the mud hole at mach 10, laughing the whole time. My purpose in telling these stories is to illustrate his very unique ability to create fun wherever he went out of whatever was handy. He truly lived every minute to its fullest. I only hope I follow his outstanding example.

Other pieces of Angus, he loved his son Alex more than words can describe. He loved my children as his own for which I will be forever grateful. When he wasn’t “doin’ some killin” as he called it with Alex while playing X-box, he was teaching my youngest to climb in Boulder Canyon. Angus and Cass had an especially close relationship. They shared that ‘no fear’ quality and desire to swim in every river, explore every cave and climb every mountain.

He used the f word as a true art form. Verb, adjective, noun, etc. He loved 12 shot mochas and always had a smile on his face. His favorite movie scene was the guy killing zombies with a lawnmower strapped to his chest in Dead Alive. He loved listening to the blues, especially Louis Armstrong. He especially loved climbing in Eldo and was constantly planning the next climb with Alexi and Kirill or anyone else he could think of. I used to get so sick of him reading me route information from his climbing book. Climbing, climbing, climbing, Eldo, Eldo, Eldo. At times, I thought my ears would bleed. He had torrets syndrome that occurred whenever he was asleep and would burst out cursing, much to amusement of anyone present.

Most of all, he gave me his unconditional love. He unleashed my fierce spirit and freed me from my moorings. He helped me find myself in a way I didn’t know was possible. I could always count on his wisdom to point out what mattered and show the rest as fluff. His humor was constant and his smile contagious. He was the happiest man I’ve ever known even though he didn’t have a pot to p*** in because he was rich in spirit, love and friendship. He was definitely a double handsome man. Handsome on the outside and also on the inside. I am lost without him. Even though his loss is more than I can bear, I would do it all over again. Without hesitation.

I’ve been trying to think of an appropriate way to describe him to those of you who weren’t lucky enough to know him or share a rope. This is what keeps coming to mind. He burned the candle at both ends and carried a flame thrower.

With thanks for your thoughts and kindness,
Cindy

p.s. I invite you all to the service on Sunday. PM me for directions.

gblauer

Oct 29, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #64 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cindy, That was a moving and lovely tribute. My condolences.

xcmntgeek

Oct 30, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #65 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all of the family who has posted their thoughts and experiences- how hard it must have been is impossible to imagine. The climbing community is a very tight nit group and this thread shows the support we should all show for each other. Remember, when you're out and up the trust we hold in our community is an important thing. thanks again to all, and my condolences.

Justin

mother_sheep

Nov 1, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #66 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cindy, Brittney, Alexi and family. . .My friends and I were at the memorial yesterday and we all walked away feeling the same way. After meeting all of you and watching Alexi's video and the movies of Angus, one thing is for certain and my friend Michael said it best. . ."Angus set a great example about how to live LARGE!" Thank you for allowing us into your home. I hope that your hearts heal soon. You have a wonderful family and circle of old friends and new friends around you.

And Brittney, PM me when you want to climb. We can go to the gym first.

Warm regards,
Tracy

bustinmins

Nov 1, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #67 of 87 (23867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cindy and family,

Thanks for welcoming me into your home for such a wonderful memorial to Angus. I'm sure he was looking down with quite the smile on his face. Surrounded by friends and family, you all are not alone. As I've said many times, if there is anything you need - just let me know. I'll be there just as quickly as possible.

I'd like to second what "Mother_Sheep" said, "If you want to go climb, just drop us a note." I'd be happy to take you to a gym or even outside as conditions permit. I realize that may not be something you're really ready to do but if and when that day does arrive, I'd love to have you along. This goes for the Russians too. You guys are always welcome!

It was nice to meet everyone and I hope to see you all again soon. However, we must make it a more joyous occassion next time. ;)

All my best to you and yours.

James Durden

coloradosteve

Nov 2, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #68 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm up for practice sessions. I had a S/R course this late summer/fall. Gotta practive it to remember it..

Steve

zozo

Nov 2, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #69 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coclimber26 taught me some basics over the summer but this is a priority of mine for next summer. If anyone wants to get together for practice or for a course let me know.

Partner nextascent

Nov 2, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #70 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm up for practice sessions. I had a S/R course this late summer/fall. Gotta practive it to remember it..

Steve

Yea, I second that Steve....great course but really need to practice it. For me my learning need is; repeat/repeat/repeat.

timstich

Nov 5, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #71 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, let's come up with a date to do this. I'll check my work schedule today and let you guys know. We could spend a few hours on escaping belays, ascending ropes with prusiks, and hauling, maybe get a few climbs in. Golden Cliffs is good for this, since it has both trad placements and solid bolt anchors to do the hauls from. Plus, it's not too tall and the rock is clean.

mother_sheep

Nov 5, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #72 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be in on this. I have some experience with self rescue but I don't practice nearly enough. I make a good dummy too. Wait. . .I mean victim. I'd make a good victim. One that you guys can rescue.

cabdog

Nov 5, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #73 of 87 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I get in on this? I used to be pretty good with this stuff, but it's been a while.

reno

Nov 5, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #74 of 87 (9973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One that you guys can rescue.

Rescue? Did someone say Mother_sheep needed a rescue?

One flight paramedic, coming right up. ;)

mother_sheep

Nov 5, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #75 of 87 (9973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
One that you guys can rescue.

Rescue? Did someone say Mother_sheep needed a rescue?

One flight paramedic, coming right up. ;)

AHAHAHA! Hey Jeff!!!!

I nominate Amber to be our victim.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook