Forums : Profile : DouglasHunter

Last Logon: Dec 5, 2014, 3:02 PM
Local Time: Jun 3, 2024, 1:55 PM

Personal Profile

Name: Douglas Hunter
Occupation: T.V. post production, author, indipendent filmmaker
Interests: Kinesiology of rock climbing, developing training methods, climbing pedagogy, Film, photography, writing.
Email: No email entered.
More Info:
Climber of 31 years, I started in the east, and lived in the Gunks from 1986 - late 1991. This was a time of rapid transition in American climbing and I was very much influenced by Gunks climbers Scott Franklin and Lynn Hill, among others. I was one of the developers of Kingston Quarry, and established The Will To Power 5.13c, and the Hurricaine 5.13d. I also did several first ascents at Lost City in the Gunks including A Little Help From my Friends, 5.12a, as well as Rude Squids 5.12a, and Intra Psychic Conflict 5.12c. This last route had two bolts on it and was part of the "bolt wars" that were going on in the Gunks at that time. In the 1990s I became interested in teaching climbing and became an instructor / coach in Salt Lake City during ithe time when Utah climbing was exploding and many climbers were interested in first ascents, competitions and hard repeats. During this time I coached many elite climbers and got early ascents of a number of Utah's hardest routes at the time, such as Dead Souls 5.14a, and Cop Killer a 5.13d which had a V9+ crux move, one of the hardest in the U.S. at that time. In 2000 I started Grad school at USC for Cinema-Television and in 2004 when I was finishing the program Dan Hague and I decided to work together to write The Self-Coached Climber, which was published in 2006 and is highly acclaimed. Today I continue to study climbing, and keep working on the issue of how to most effectivly train for climbing despite the fact that I don't get out much any more.

Climbing Profile

Skills:
Lead | Follow
Sport: 5.13a
Boulder: V7  
City: Pasadena
State: California

Ascent Log The 5 most recent ascents recorded by a user in our Routes Database are shown on the user Profile.

Date Level Grade Route Rating
2013-12-14 Red Point Red Point 5.12a Crack in the Armor 4 out of 5 stars
2013-10-12 Flash Flash 5.12a Pow! Right in the Kisser 3 out of 5 stars
2013-10-12 Onsight Onsight 5.11a Marauding Monkeys 4 out of 5 stars

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?