Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Weekend Warrior
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Nov 17, 2010, 1:35 AM
Post #451 of 1159 (18598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
However, I did just get back from Shelf Road today. I did three climbs and that's because my shoulder was KILLING me. Aches and pains, aches and pains.

Let's face it, we are all getting old!

oh hell, I've been getting old for years now.

jakedatc

Nov 17, 2010, 2:26 AM
Post #452 of 1159 (18592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
However, I did just get back from Shelf Road today. I did three climbs and that's because my shoulder was KILLING me. Aches and pains, aches and pains.

speak for yourself.. i sent my hardest route soon after turning 30 :)

Junks on tap for this weekend.. Gail you don't need fingers to do MT if you want a ropegun :) (bring someone else to help kate get down from P1) she can do P1 but she'd kill me if i put her on P2 haha

blueeyedclimber

Nov 17, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #453 of 1159 (18568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
I think by now, everyone knows my weekend reportPirate

Josh

Yeah big whips, pulled gear, new belayers...where was Tiff?

Dakotah was kicking around, so we decided to get out one day each, with me climbing Sat. and her getting out Sunday.

Josh

donald949

Nov 18, 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #454 of 1159 (18522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
gblauer wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

oh hell, I've been getting old for years now.
Bah, young kids.

darkgift06

Nov 19, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #455 of 1159 (18495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:( snow this morning here at Skaha... looks like I will be hiking/scrambling a local 500meter mountain this weekend. Video & report to follow.

gblauer

Nov 21, 2010, 3:23 AM
Post #456 of 1159 (18478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Enjoyed a lovely day at the Gunks. I think it made it to a high of 55 degrees. I had to strip off layers, I was so hot. Alas, once the sun started to sink in the sky, it started to get windy and chilly.

We spent most of the day on the Mental Block. Lydia was trying to teach me proper crack tecnhique. All of the climbs on the Mental Block are right leaning, overhung, crack climbs. We started on an unnamed 5.9 (we ran it twice) on the far right side of the block. I really struggled with my crack technique and found that I used way too much energy as I ascended. We continued by moving left to another unnamed 10. And so the day went...I have to say, when you do crack right, it feels exactly right. WHen you don't, it's totally insecure. We flailed our way up Stupid Crack, a 5.12 and called it a day on the Mental Block. It was worth doing, but, I am not sure I would run back to do it again any time soon. I supposed I need to do it soon, so I can practice.

It was starting to get cold so we quickly set up a TR on Red Cabbage Right. I managed to get in two quick laps; Red Cabbage RIght and Red Cabbage.

Met Jake today, it was great to put a name to a face.

Doubt we will climb tomorrow, the high is going to be 41. That's too cold for my fingers. I really don't like climbing on cold rock.

jakedatc

Nov 22, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #457 of 1159 (18454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure exactly what the temps got up to today gail but it wasn't too bad. we were on rock by 10ish and got a few routes in before it got cold.

thanks for the run on Red Cabbage right. That was a fun route to TR,. probably terrifying to lead haha.

darkgift06

Nov 25, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #458 of 1159 (18398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hawthorne Nov 20-2010

Some friends & I went for a winter ascent of a local short & steep Mountain on sat. 3" of snow fell this weekend so no climbing for a while here in the Okanagan.

We started at about 10:30 in Ok Falls stopping across the valley, we picked out our line from the car deciding on the line with the least amount of cliffs. We then made our way over to the base of the Mtn to start our adventure.

After packing bags with water, extra gloves & layers we hiked past a few houses, over a barbed wire fence & into the meat of the hike. The start of the hike was ridiculously steep, I figure close to 50deg or steeper. We picked our way up a grass covered scree slope trying to traverse on barely visible game trails. We followed a number of these over to a ridge & then decided to hike up the ridge line keeping the scree slope to our right as an easy out in case we got cliffed out. Up & up we hiked... We came to several rock spires that came thru the sandy ridge & stopped for some photos of us standing on top of them. At about 2/3's of the way up we got to a broken band of snowy cliffs & decided to try climbing over them as apposed to hiking around. 10 min & some freezing hands later were at the top of the 3-4 meter 5.7ish climb looking up at more cliffs that we could our way up, climbing between them as they were broken by the ridge. After some traversing & more climbing we had reached the top of our climbing & needed to traverse back right to the scree slope for a safer way up & around more larger cliffs. After some steep hiking & clawing we came to a nice game trail or as Bryan was calling them "Natures Highways" we tried to stay on the game trails for the rest of the hike. From that point to the top the hiking was much gentler; we were moving thru some beautiful meadows & tight patches of trees some of the best hiking of the day. We soon crested the top looking down into the valley & behind the mountain to the back country. After some discussion we decided to continue south to the true summit & get a proper view from the top looking north, south & down into the valley bottoms on ether side. Fun was had by all & we soon made our way back down the way we had came to our cars & there heaters.

You can see a video of the day here.
http://www.vimeo.com/17179415

jakedatc

Nov 25, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #459 of 1159 (18379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gunks Nov 19-21

Fri: Kate and I got down to New paltz for a half day at the Nears did Grease Gun Groove to warm up then decided to get on Roseland after seeing pics of it last week on MProj. Greg if you want a .9 you need to be solid on.. there ya go. exact opposite of Mtimes.. looks easy.. climbs hard. Messed up and didn't extend the pins at the crux and had awful rope drag the last bit to the anchors. Kate tried to clean it but was having trouble getting smears to stick. Luckily a couple climbing next to us agreed to clean the rest for her and I didn't have to TR it again.

Sat: BRRR cold start but after a relaxed breakfast we got out and got started. Did P1 of Strictly's to the tree. super fun route. bit before the top sure makes you think. Kate did really well though there then got a bit bugged out with the exposure at the top. (she's used to shorter routes in CT and rumney)
Moved on to something a bit less heady and did P1 of Bloody Bush. super fun with some thoughtful movement. Have heard P2 is tricky and another party was on our ass so we headed down to find Gail to say hello.
Found them on Red Cabbage Right with a TR set up so I gave that a quick TR. Found that easier to climb than Roseland! I'm sure it would have been a bit harder while placing gear.

Sun: Cold and tight from climbing cold we kept today easy. P1 of Easy O. Watched a guy doing the top of Son of Easy O and that is definitely on the list for the spring. decided against the 15' of P2 since it was not worth the effort.
Went down to do Triple bulges.. casual p1 shared with Twin oaks. brought the book up and still couldn't quite figure out where P2 was supposed to go so i decided to "play it by gear" (har har sorry....) and aim for the anchor tree the way gear and holds led me. Was totally fine but kept things deliberate in case i had to back down and change direction. brought kate up and we couldnt tell if the last bit had a top anchor or not so i led up the left overhang for a look and then down led it after not finding much. cool little roof i got to climb up and down :) Bailed off. Led Fingerlocks or Cedar box. Kate had had enough so i just downcleaned and we headed for home.

Want any choice of route? head to the gunks when the forecast calls for mid 40's :) I'm pretty happy with how my gear placing has come along the last year so I have some fun ideas for spring.

was nice to meet Gail, mitch and lydia on saturday.

gblauer

Nov 26, 2010, 1:44 AM
Post #460 of 1159 (18372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry we bailed on Sunday. Too cold for Mitch.

We are heading up next weekend, will keep you posted.

jakedatc

Nov 26, 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #461 of 1159 (18369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm working 4-5th

gblauer

Nov 26, 2010, 2:03 AM
Post #462 of 1159 (18367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SOunds like you had (cold) fun.

Gmburns2000

Nov 26, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #463 of 1159 (18344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Enjoyed a lovely day at the Gunks. I think it made it to a high of 55 degrees. I had to strip off layers, I was so hot. Alas, once the sun started to sink in the sky, it started to get windy and chilly.

We spent most of the day on the Mental Block. Lydia was trying to teach me proper crack tecnhique. All of the climbs on the Mental Block are right leaning, overhung, crack climbs. We started on an unnamed 5.9 (we ran it twice) on the far right side of the block. I really struggled with my crack technique and found that I used way too much energy as I ascended. We continued by moving left to another unnamed 10. And so the day went...I have to say, when you do crack right, it feels exactly right. WHen you don't, it's totally insecure. We flailed our way up Stupid Crack, a 5.12 and called it a day on the Mental Block. It was worth doing, but, I am not sure I would run back to do it again any time soon. I supposed I need to do it soon, so I can practice.

It was starting to get cold so we quickly set up a TR on Red Cabbage Right. I managed to get in two quick laps; Red Cabbage RIght and Red Cabbage.

Met Jake today, it was great to put a name to a face.

Doubt we will climb tomorrow, the high is going to be 41. That's too cold for my fingers. I really don't like climbing on cold rock.

after years of climbing in the 'gunks, I really haven't learned crack well. however, things may be looking up because I reacently had some success out in CO.

It takes practice for sure. Good on you for suffering to learn to do it better.

Gmburns2000

Nov 26, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #464 of 1159 (18343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Gunks Nov 19-21

Fri: Kate and I got down to New paltz for a half day at the Nears did Grease Gun Groove to warm up then decided to get on Roseland after seeing pics of it last week on MProj. Greg if you want a .9 you need to be solid on.. there ya go. exact opposite of Mtimes.. looks easy.. climbs hard. Messed up and didn't extend the pins at the crux and had awful rope drag the last bit to the anchors. Kate tried to clean it but was having trouble getting smears to stick. Luckily a couple climbing next to us agreed to clean the rest for her and I didn't have to TR it again.

Sat: BRRR cold start but after a relaxed breakfast we got out and got started. Did P1 of Strictly's to the tree. super fun route. bit before the top sure makes you think. Kate did really well though there then got a bit bugged out with the exposure at the top. (she's used to shorter routes in CT and rumney)
Moved on to something a bit less heady and did P1 of Bloody Bush. super fun with some thoughtful movement. Have heard P2 is tricky and another party was on our ass so we headed down to find Gail to say hello.
Found them on Red Cabbage Right with a TR set up so I gave that a quick TR. Found that easier to climb than Roseland! I'm sure it would have been a bit harder while placing gear.

Sun: Cold and tight from climbing cold we kept today easy. P1 of Easy O. Watched a guy doing the top of Son of Easy O and that is definitely on the list for the spring. decided against the 15' of P2 since it was not worth the effort.
Went down to do Triple bulges.. casual p1 shared with Twin oaks. brought the book up and still couldn't quite figure out where P2 was supposed to go so i decided to "play it by gear" (har har sorry....) and aim for the anchor tree the way gear and holds led me. Was totally fine but kept things deliberate in case i had to back down and change direction. brought kate up and we couldnt tell if the last bit had a top anchor or not so i led up the left overhang for a look and then down led it after not finding much. cool little roof i got to climb up and down :) Bailed off. Led Fingerlocks or Cedar box. Kate had had enough so i just downcleaned and we headed for home.

Want any choice of route? head to the gunks when the forecast calls for mid 40's :) I'm pretty happy with how my gear placing has come along the last year so I have some fun ideas for spring.

I've heard Roseland is slick...and that intimidates me a bit. Nines at the 'gunks are weird: ants line and P1 of Bonnie's really challenge me while stuff like Grand Central I find to be pretty easy. Just weird

P2 of Son of Easy O is easy, definitely not an eight like the guidebook says. You should do it all in one pitch.

Gmburns2000

Nov 26, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #465 of 1159 (18338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
Hawthorne Nov 20-2010

Some friends & I went for a winter ascent of a local short & steep Mountain on sat. 3" of snow fell this weekend so no climbing for a while here in the Okanagan.

We started at about 10:30 in Ok Falls stopping across the valley, we picked out our line from the car deciding on the line with the least amount of cliffs. We then made our way over to the base of the Mtn to start our adventure.

After packing bags with water, extra gloves & layers we hiked past a few houses, over a barbed wire fence & into the meat of the hike. The start of the hike was ridiculously steep, I figure close to 50deg or steeper. We picked our way up a grass covered scree slope trying to traverse on barely visible game trails. We followed a number of these over to a ridge & then decided to hike up the ridge line keeping the scree slope to our right as an easy out in case we got cliffed out. Up & up we hiked... We came to several rock spires that came thru the sandy ridge & stopped for some photos of us standing on top of them. At about 2/3's of the way up we got to a broken band of snowy cliffs & decided to try climbing over them as apposed to hiking around. 10 min & some freezing hands later were at the top of the 3-4 meter 5.7ish climb looking up at more cliffs that we could our way up, climbing between them as they were broken by the ridge. After some traversing & more climbing we had reached the top of our climbing & needed to traverse back right to the scree slope for a safer way up & around more larger cliffs. After some steep hiking & clawing we came to a nice game trail or as Bryan was calling them "Natures Highways" we tried to stay on the game trails for the rest of the hike. From that point to the top the hiking was much gentler; we were moving thru some beautiful meadows & tight patches of trees some of the best hiking of the day. We soon crested the top looking down into the valley & behind the mountain to the back country. After some discussion we decided to continue south to the true summit & get a proper view from the top looking north, south & down into the valley bottoms on ether side. Fun was had by all & we soon made our way back down the way we had came to our cars & there heaters.

that was good video. thanks for sharing. I really liked the footage you took with the camera on the pole. that was kind of cool. not sure if southern man was a good choice for a climb in canada (yeah, I know, he's canadian), but I appreciated the music all around in general. Cool

darkgift06

Nov 26, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #466 of 1159 (18319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:
Hawthorne Nov 20-2010

that was good video. thanks for sharing. I really liked the footage you took with the camera on the pole. that was kind of cool. not sure if southern man was a good choice for a climb in canada (yeah, I know, he's canadian), but I appreciated the music all around in general. Cool

Thanks, I'm working on more ways to shoot with the pole, using it like a boom, dolly, & also like a POV over the shoulder mount.

I kinda agree with the southern man comment as the lyrics don't really fit. I chose it more because I am from southern Canada & I do love me some good ol Neil Young, in fact I tend to hum or sing it while hiking or climbing alot.

I'm going on another hike/show shoe this weekend & might have some different shots & another video.

jakedatc

Nov 26, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #467 of 1159 (18311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gunks Nov 19-21

I've heard Roseland is slick...and that intimidates me a bit. Nines at the 'gunks are weird: ants line and P1 of Bonnie's really challenge me while stuff like Grand Central I find to be pretty easy. Just weird

P2 of Son of Easy O is easy, definitely not an eight like the guidebook says. You should do it all in one pitch.

see, ants line and Bonnies were like 8+ for me..and never felt uncomfortable. never done grand central so i dunno about that.

P2 S of O definitely looked easy.. looked a lot like the end of Strictly's but more of it. Doing it in one definitely looks like the easiest way. no point in stopping for a 15' pitch

losbill

Nov 26, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #468 of 1159 (18307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last Saturday at the Massachusetts "Crag Not To Be Named" with Dave and Alexi. Temps in the upper 40's maybe touching 50, not unpleasant. Stayed at the WOEML. Left the leading to Dave since I was content to just cruise on TR. Fun mix of trad, mixed and sport. Pushed myself on following a 5.11d (sport). Thrashed mightily at the first crux several times making a bit of progress each time up. Also profited by watched Josh (BEC) and Kol doing the 5.12a (sport) next to us as well as the 5.11.d we were on. Definitely feels like I'm elevating my game when I climb with folks who are so much better climbers than me.

Hoping for one last weekend the 50's to justify a trip to the Gunks. Gail sounds like a great crack workout. Jake since we didn't roped up this year I definitely have to get down to Lincoln Woods with you! Are there are at least one or two V0 problems down there for me?

Chad really enjoyed the trip report and the video. Thanks for posting it. I also was impressed with the "boom" views. Also viewed "Blade Runner", looked to be a very interesting line.

jakedatc

Nov 26, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #469 of 1159 (18304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill there are definitely easier problems there to get on.

gblauer

Nov 27, 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #470 of 1159 (18291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Bill, I may be up at the gunks for a full week or so. My friend Bett shattered her hip on Monday (not climbing) and I am going to go up and take care of her for a week. They just moved her into the rehab center, so I am not sure when I am going up.

I am game to climb in the high 40's if you are. Basically, you only get 4 hours of "warm" climbing.

Gmburns2000

Nov 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #471 of 1159 (18264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:
Hawthorne Nov 20-2010

Thanks, I'm working on more ways to shoot with the pole, using it like a boom, dolly, & also like a POV over the shoulder mount.

I kinda agree with the southern man comment as the lyrics don't really fit. I chose it more because I am from southern Canada & I do love me some good ol Neil Young, in fact I tend to hum or sing it while hiking or climbing alot.

I'm going on another hike/show shoe this weekend & might have some different shots & another video.

well, it definitely looked as if you had good control of the camera with the boom. it looked smooth.

Gmburns2000

Nov 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #472 of 1159 (18261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Hey Bill, I may be up at the gunks for a full week or so. My friend Bett shattered her hip on Monday (not climbing) and I am going to go up and take care of her for a week. They just moved her into the rehab center, so I am not sure when I am going up.

I am game to climb in the high 40's if you are. Basically, you only get 4 hours of "warm" climbing.

damn! send her my wishes. that's too bad. I hope she recovers quickly.

Gmburns2000

Nov 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #473 of 1159 (18260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Gunks Nov 19-21

see, ants line and Bonnies were like 8+ for me..and never felt uncomfortable. never done grand central so i dunno about that.

P2 S of O definitely looked easy.. looked a lot like the end of Strictly's but more of it. Doing it in one definitely looks like the easiest way. no point in stopping for a 15' pitch

It is similar to Strickley's, but I think Strickley's is actually a tad harder, even though it is shorter.

MohamedElHinati

Nov 28, 2010, 4:29 PM
Post #474 of 1159 (18235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Weekend Warrior [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is three years ago I had a similar trip to the highest summit of the Atlas-Mountains in Morrroco, the "Toubcal" with a hight of aprox. 12500 ft., fantastic condicions and unbelivible views.
Regards,
Mohamed El Hinati

MohamedElHinati

Nov 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #475 of 1159 (18217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there anybody who has some experience to report about the "Eiger Nordwand" in the Alpes...?
Regards to all freeclimbers,
Mohamed El Hinati

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 47 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook