RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

solo220

May 8, 2012, 4:39 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2581 views)
Shortcut

finger injury help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I think what i've got is a tendon strain but am not sure. I'm hoping that someone with more experience could help me diagnose and offer advice on treatment.

My symptoms: My right hand ring finger hurts when the joint is in a half crimp or full crimp position. The pain is mainly in the first joint and the base of the finger. However, it doesn't hurt at all when i open hand. I've had this injury for about ~ 3 months now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, though i have not taken any time to off.

any help would be appreciated.

wmshub

May 8, 2012, 6:22 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [solo220] finger injury help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go to a doctor or physical therapist. If it is tendinitis, then you need to take care of it as soon as possible. If you don't let the tendinitis heal and keep on doing whatever overstressed the tendon in the first place, then it will get steadily worse. Eventually you could end up with chronic tendinitis, which will never heal completely, always hurts, and weakens the tendon.

solo220

May 8, 2012, 7:14 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmshub] finger injury help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Wmshub, thanks for your advice, how do i know it's tendinitis vs. a tendon injury? it sounded like tendinitis is more serious. i do have full range of motion with no swelling if that helps in diagnosing it.

wmshub

May 8, 2012, 7:36 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tendinitis is a type of tendon injury. It isn't always serious, but if you don't let it heal then it will eventually become serious. I don't know exactly how to tell different types of tendon pain apart; a doctor diagnose me with tendinitis at one point, then I got on the internet and looked up what that meant. So I'm not an expert, just somebody who has experienced the issue. It could be something different, between your description and my lack of expertise I can't say for sure, but it sounds close enough to what I had that it might be the same thing in a different area.

A few things about my tendinitis, if yours is the same then that might make it more likely: It was at its worst when I woke up in the morning. It hurt when I use the muscle that the tendon is attached to. And if I ignored the pain and exercised anyway, it would hurt a lot at first, but then the pain would disappear after a few minutes of hard exercise, making me think that exercise was good for it. But then hours or a day later then pain would come back worse than ever.

Really you should probably see a doctor, internet diagnosis aren't going to be reliable you need to know what exactly you have.

(This post was edited by wmshub on May 8, 2012, 7:38 AM)

mr.tastycakes

May 8, 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a classic pulley tendon strain. Google Dave MacLeod's article on pulley tendon injuries. Or search this website for posts on the subject by "onceahardman."

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook