Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Any tips on using expansion bolts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


snoopy138


Aug 4, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #26 of 70 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 7, 2004
Posts: 28992

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

page turn.

for the win.


SkaFreak


Aug 4, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #27 of 70 (3857 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 17, 2007
Posts: 53

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am amazed at the number of you that bit. Same guy posting total bs about drilling and "repelling" and so many of you still took it hook line and sinker. Pretty good job on the troll, but only because you pulled so many people in.


overlord


Aug 4, 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #28 of 70 (3843 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 14120

Re: [SkaFreak] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SkaFreak wrote:
I am amazed at the number of you that bit. Same guy posting total bs about drilling and "repelling" and so many of you still took it hook line and sinker. Pretty good job on the troll, but only because you pulled so many people in.

i doubt this is a troll... because it cant be.

besides, id rather risk 'humiliation' with answering a troll than risking this being for real and not trying to dissuade him


sky7high


Aug 4, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #29 of 70 (3822 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 478

Re: [edmontonalta] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
12 volt drill.My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Ok now this has to be a troll. A VERY poor troll by the way.

Bolting...Trolling... you need more experience.

Edited to add: the Beginners forum is NOT a place for trolling.


(This post was edited by sky7high on Aug 4, 2007, 9:10 PM)


edmontonalta


Aug 4, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #30 of 70 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [sky7high] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
12 volt drill.My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Ok now this has to be a troll. A VERY poor troll by the way.

Bolting...Trolling... you need more experience.

Edited to add: the Beginners forum is NOT a place for trolling.

I have some experience with drills and bolts so that is the method i want to use. I may only have to use one bolt to get up the initial steep area. I have used the 12v rechargeable drill for steel. its possilbe the battery will only last for one hole if the granite is hard. that might be an issue.

how does it hurt to answer if water freezing and expanding in the hole will cause cracks?

most people would not ask all these questions. they would just do it.


stymingersfink


Aug 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #31 of 70 (3803 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 7250

Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
12 volt drill.My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Ok now this has to be a troll. A VERY poor troll by the way.

Bolting...Trolling... you need more experience.

Edited to add: the Beginners forum is NOT a place for trolling.

not subtle... just stew

ped.dull your wares elsewhere, your account might survive long enough to develop some character that would amuse us, but not if you remain in the same vein you've been in thus far. They'll lock you out and you'll have to start all over again.Frown







there's nothing more to see here... move along.


sky7high


Aug 4, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #32 of 70 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 478

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I didn't quite understand your post. Am I being locked out?


stymingersfink


Aug 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #33 of 70 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 7250

Re: [sky7high] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was talking to the new kid, err... troll.


Your post was pointing out the very reason his account will be locked provided his technique does not evolve just a tad. I am not a mod, therefore I cannot actually say what will happen, only what I have observed in the past.

TOS prohibits trolling anywhere on the site, but especially inappropriate is the beginners forum. Much slack will be cut elsewhere, but I don't think the mod's give as much leash around this forum... thus my suggestion that rather than just leave or get himself tarpitted, he try posting to perhaps a different forum where he may prove to be amusing.



We all need a few laughs now and then. Sometimes I'll even laugh with you.


zuegma


Aug 4, 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #34 of 70 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2006
Posts: 125

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question.??? How is it that at the begging of this post you claim you are experienced and yet in another post you claim yourself as new. I am confused....can someone help me please!!!Shocked


edmontonalta


Aug 5, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #35 of 70 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [zuegma] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there any trick to drilling hole in granite? I've spent half an hour and have drilled a 1/4 inch deep hole. the wood/steel bits dont seem to work at all.


curt


Aug 5, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #36 of 70 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2002
Posts: 18273

Re: [edmontonalta] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
...My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Don't bolt the boulders. Do us all a favor and place the first one in the middle of your forehead. Make sure the hole is deep enough and blow out all the dust before installing the bolt. Don't overtighten it because that will only weaken the placement--and also give rise to a nasty headache.

Curt


greenketch


Aug 5, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #37 of 70 (3738 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Posts: 501

Re: [edmontonalta] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tip #1 Read The Label. What are the bits suitable for drilling?

I'm not sure what your degree is in. But here is a concept. If you want to know about machining, contact a machinist. If you want to know about plumbing, contact a plumber etc.... Then heed their advice. I bet you could even run a verticle mill if you had someone show you how.

Do you see a pattern developing here?


edmontonalta


Aug 5, 2007, 3:41 AM
Post #38 of 70 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [greenketch] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Found the answer: you need either a manual or power hammer drill. Only a chisel action will get you through rock. Concrete is much easier than rock.

Hand drill:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442097075&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691197&bmUID=1186285047684


greenketch


Aug 5, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #39 of 70 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Posts: 501

Re: [edmontonalta] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No problem. Ya know if this really is somewhere near Seattle as you stated, I know there are several experienced bolters that woudl be willing to help and even bring out some gear.

Placeing bolts is a highly critical thing that is often underrated. When you place a bolt you are not only placeing yourself at risk but every other climber taht follows you. Aside from regulations that may or may not get climbers kicked out of an area entirely,

There are many reasons that some guidance is a good idea. Not the least of which is the placment needs to be planned out for ease of climbing and saftey while clipping. Poorly placed bolts are sometimes more dangerous than no bolts at all.

Give a shout to the local boys or pm me and I may be able to hook ya up.


edmontonalta


Aug 5, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #40 of 70 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [greenketch] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im not going to go out a buy a new drill to do a few holes. I will have to repell from the top using trees as an anchor.
Attachments: IMG_0080 (Large).JPG (129 KB)


Banks


Aug 5, 2007, 4:48 AM
Post #41 of 70 (3698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 24, 2007
Posts: 35

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you are going to troll, at least put some effort into it and maybe provide us with a laugh or two. I'd say good luck with your "bolting", but you've already "repelled" us.


greenketch


Aug 5, 2007, 4:52 AM
Post #42 of 70 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Posts: 501

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That is a good call. The bolts in your pic are hard to see for sure but if they are what I think I am seeing they are a for sure injury waiting to happen.

You know even the climbing and anchoring is somewhat counterintuitive. Get some help.


N_Oo_B


Aug 5, 2007, 4:55 AM
Post #43 of 70 (3693 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 21, 2007
Posts: 463

Re: [Banks] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so now that you realize your drill is a pile of crap, and you've admited you're not going to "waste" money on another drill or books to teach you...

I hope you've given up.


Carnage


Aug 5, 2007, 5:22 AM
Post #44 of 70 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 27, 2007
Posts: 923

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

those bolts look bomber, i'd climb on them

i think the part that pisses me off most about his is that your messing up OUR environment. Its not your decision to bolt something, its the decision of many people to bolt routes. from what ive read, you basically looked at this from a few angles, decided you wanted to climb it, then decided to drill holes in it. in my opinion, this gives you know right to decide to make a permanent change to nature.

thats my rant

PLEASE send pics of the final product, i want a good laugh


(This post was edited by Carnage on Aug 5, 2007, 5:37 AM)


flint


Aug 5, 2007, 5:56 AM
Post #45 of 70 (3672 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 21, 2007
Posts: 543

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
Im not going to go out a buy a new drill to do a few holes. I will have to repell from the top using trees as an anchor.

Imagine that you ignorant shit head. I thought there were no trees possible from the top. I do remember saying you should rap from trees at the top in the third post in this thread. But yet, you have called everyone stupid, including me, but have drawn your own conclusion, after hours of beating your head against the wall, which are the same as the conclusions as the knowledge put forth on this site.

Forget everything we have told you, go climb twenty feet up that "300m" water fall, start to drill a hole with your home deposit drill. Hopefully the rock quality sucks so you can get one of those hook and eye bolts in, and then maybe when you go to "repell" down, either the bolt blows or your backup of webbing fails because you don't know jack shit.

Fuck this troll

If this is real, I can only hope that I am not reading an accident report next week.

Sorry for the language, I understand that this is a beginners forum, I only hope everyone understands my frustrations.


SkaFreak


Aug 5, 2007, 8:06 AM
Post #46 of 70 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 17, 2007
Posts: 53

Re: [flint] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.


(This post was edited by SkaFreak on Aug 5, 2007, 8:07 AM)


edmontonalta


Aug 5, 2007, 8:13 AM
Post #47 of 70 (3645 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [SkaFreak] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SkaFreak wrote:
Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.

so, i went out and bought bolts, slings, drill bits, reverso, spent an hour drillin a hole in rock, etc just to do a troll???? grow the fuck up.


overlord


Aug 5, 2007, 8:50 AM
Post #48 of 70 (3639 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 14120

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
SkaFreak wrote:
Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.

so, i went out and bought bolts, slings, drill bits, reverso, spent an hour drillin a hole in rock, etc just to do a troll???? grow the fuck up.

you are either...

a) a troll

or

b) so blatantly ignorant that i wish you were a troll.

you asked for advice. despite the question asked wasnt really on the smart side, some folks answered according to their best knowledge. you might not have liked the answer, but thats the way it is. they gave you advice their experience told them was good (get instruction, dont bolt...), not advice you wanted to hear (just got ahead and bolt the thing). well, tough. you DO NOT have enough experience for bolting and the tools you choose proove this point further. and you keep ignoring good advice that people who have more experience (and that experience has originated from mistakes ppl made, believe me) give you.

climbing is not a venture where you can be stubborn and stupid. please, choose something else to do. if you do not want to learn and even deny your own ignorance you will only get hurt. in climbing, you are always learning and the sooner you believe there is nothing else to learn, the sooner you end up in a hospital (if you are lucky that is, if you are not...).


edmontonalta


Aug 5, 2007, 9:38 AM
Post #49 of 70 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 4, 2007
Posts: 85

Re: [overlord] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
SkaFreak wrote:
Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.

so, i went out and bought bolts, slings, drill bits, reverso, spent an hour drillin a hole in rock, etc just to do a troll???? grow the fuck up.

you are either...

a) a troll

or

b) so blatantly ignorant that i wish you were a troll.

you asked for advice. despite the question asked wasnt really on the smart side, some folks answered according to their best knowledge. you might not have liked the answer, but thats the way it is. they gave you advice their experience told them was good (get instruction, dont bolt...), not advice you wanted to hear (just got ahead and bolt the thing). well, tough. you DO NOT have enough experience for bolting and the tools you choose proove this point further. and you keep ignoring good advice that people who have more experience (and that experience has originated from mistakes ppl made, believe me) give you.

climbing is not a venture where you can be stubborn and stupid. please, choose something else to do. if you do not want to learn and even deny your own ignorance you will only get hurt. in climbing, you are always learning and the sooner you believe there is nothing else to learn, the sooner you end up in a hospital (if you are lucky that is, if you are not...).

You guys just insulted me and gave me zero advice.
you guys are totally rude and unhelpful.


mr-pink


Aug 5, 2007, 9:45 AM
Post #50 of 70 (3629 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 13, 2004
Posts: 147

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The OP needs a bolt gun!
use the search button!

REI will be selling them from september on!

No mistakes possible

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook