Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Climbing buddy ettiquette?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


lodi5onu


Jan 28, 2009, 4:21 PM
Post #26 of 59 (3268 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 335

Re: [karlie] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Powerspotting - extreme and/or intense spotting of a fellow boulder; sometimes unwarranted or unnecessary due to the lack of any real danger should the climber fall. Powerspotters often use perfect knees and elbows bent, back straight, palms out form while offering calm words of encouragement, although on harder projects the words may take on a tone of excitement or desperation. Spotters hands are usually not more than 1.3 inches from climbers back.


lodi5onu


Jan 28, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #27 of 59 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 335

Re: [d0nk3yk0n9] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
Adding to the bouldering etiquette, but on a slightly more serious note, when multiple people are climbing the same problem, it's courteous to spot others, unless, as mentioned before, they (or their significant others) tell you not to. Also, people tend to get slightly annoyed with you if you jump in front of them to climb a problem. Finally, wipe the mud and dirt off of your shoes before you start climbing anything; not only does this help you climb, but other people hate it when you get all the holds muddy and harder to climb on.

Another reason for this act of courteousness is because gym climbers often become confused and frustrated when confronted with the fact that an outdoor arena does exists in which people practice their discipline.


Valarc


Jan 28, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #28 of 59 (3257 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Is it possible to "cheat" on climbing buddies? Are you expected to ask permission from one partner to climb with another person?




Osarusan


Jan 28, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #29 of 59 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2008
Posts: 19

Re: [lodi5onu] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
Powerspotting - extreme and/or intense spotting of a fellow boulder; sometimes unwarranted or unnecessary due to the lack of any real danger should the climber fall. Powerspotters often use perfect knees and elbows bent, back straight, palms out form while offering calm words of encouragement, although on harder projects the words may take on a tone of excitement or desperation. Spotters hands are usually not more than 1.3 inches from climbers back.

So just to be clear, Powerspotter = douchebag?


Gmburns2000


Jan 28, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #30 of 59 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15253

Re: [lodi5onu] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
Powerspotting - extreme and/or intense spotting of a fellow boulder; sometimes unwarranted or unnecessary due to the lack of any real danger should the climber fall. Powerspotters often use perfect knees and elbows bent, back straight, palms out form while offering calm words of encouragement, although on harder projects the words may take on a tone of excitement or desperation. Spotters hands are usually not more than 1.3 inches from climbers back.

you forgot that thumbs should be rolled in.


Gmburns2000


Jan 28, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #31 of 59 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15253

Re: [Valarc] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
Is it possible to "cheat" on climbing buddies? Are you expected to ask permission from one partner to climb with another person?


gotta admit, the fact that it changes with each refresh is kind of clever.


Valarc


Jan 28, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #32 of 59 (3215 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Valarc wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
Is it possible to "cheat" on climbing buddies? Are you expected to ask permission from one partner to climb with another person?


gotta admit, the fact that it changes with each refresh is kind of clever.

I blatantly stole the idea, but it's awesome and was thus worth ganking.


ladyscarlett


Jan 28, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #33 of 59 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2008
Posts: 376

Re: [suilenroc] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
Its CLIMBING not SEX.

Get on with your life.

The End.

Heh, yes, when first confronted I did say something like this, and was shot back with something along the lines of 'it's on the same level' which totally did not make sense to me. My partner's life might be in my hands, but really!

I personally love having multiple partners (heh!) - it really does allow for a variety of options!

But thanks all, I too thought situations like these (yes there have been multiple) were a little crazy, and it's good to hear the reality check.

Thanks for the bouldering tips, I am trying to do more bouldering these days to stay a balanced climber, and there really is a set of unspoken "rules" that I still don't know the half of! Good to know.

My most recent etiquette fauxpas = instigating a spur of the moment climbing trip with a buddy before asking his GF if she had plans for them. The last time I'll make that mistake for sure!

Once again, thanks for confirming the ridiculousness...

ls

ps-love the pics - exactly my first reaction!


tigerlilly


Jan 28, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #34 of 59 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Posts: 564

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
My most recent etiquette fauxpas = instigating a spur of the moment climbing trip with a buddy before asking his GF if she had plans for them.

Checking with the GF is his responsibility, imho. Most of my partners are married, engaged or have been living with their SO's long enough to qualify as married, and I leave it up to them to check with their other halves.

Kathy


fxgranite


Jan 28, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #35 of 59 (3075 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 1, 2007
Posts: 358

Re: [Valarc] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Valarc wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
Is it possible to "cheat" on climbing buddies? Are you expected to ask permission from one partner to climb with another person?


gotta admit, the fact that it changes with each refresh is kind of clever.

I blatantly stole the idea, but it's awesome and was thus worth ganking.

definitly worth ganking. I especially like the one of the half naked babe.

edited to make pic visable again

(This post was edited by fxgranite on Jan 28, 2009, 8:42 PM)


caliclimbergrl


Jan 28, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #36 of 59 (3066 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 19, 2008
Posts: 354

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I totally know people like this!!! In my experience it is much worse among women for some reason. I used to have a climbing parter that would get jealous if I climbed with other people. It was way worse if they were guys. And extreme if it was a boyfriend. I think it's nuts, but I know it happens. My advice -- stick to climbing with partners that are as drama-free as possible!


tigerlilly


Jan 28, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #37 of 59 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Posts: 564

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
My advice -- stick to climbing with partners that are as drama-free as possible!

Amen, sista'! If I want drama, I'll go to the theater.

Kathy


theguy


Jan 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #38 of 59 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 14, 2004
Posts: 469

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
you forgot that thumbs should be rolled in.

...or you could end up in I&A: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...2;page=unread#unread

Actually, better wear a helmet too...


Adk


Jan 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #39 of 59 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 2, 2006
Posts: 1085

Re: [tigerlilly] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife does not climb due to an elbow injury and I would bet she would think this is childish as well.
I belay lots of people. Women, married and unmarried , children, boys and girls, and even probably eunuchs too but to get bent on belaying someone when in fact it is all about safety is borderline retarded.
What does she have lazer vision as you look at his package from below? I'm guessing this is a girl. Maybe not though.
Make it an issue to not belay him when she is there just to make her look like an ass in front of everyone. Everyone will catch on quickly and put the pressure to them both. He needs to have enough nads to tell his girlfriend to sit down, shut up and RELAX!!! After all, who does he go home with?
The proper etiquette goes like this if you trust the person.

Person one: "Hey, will you belay me so I can send this?

Person two: "Sure"

Person one: "On belay?"

Person two: "Belay on" etc....

No where in there did "person two" mention anything about a peak at package size in relation to the job of belaying. Blush

It sounds like someone has some issues of insecurity with their relationship. That is not YOUR problem.


ladyscarlett


Jan 29, 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #40 of 59 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2008
Posts: 376

Re: [Adk] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Funny thing was that most situations it's not a GF/BF situation - more like - he/she (no gender discrimination here!) didn't respond to my climbing related email and then has the nerve to show up and belay you, so you shouldn't be belaying him/her.....

The more I write it out, the more ridiculous it sounds...but when it's a part of one's common climbing experience, one starts forgetting it's ridiculous and expects it as the norm...that's why I appreciate reality checks from the outside! heh

But yes, I usually try to leave the drama out of climbing. It's a slow process, but it still seems to seek me out...sigh. Is there always The One? Funny thing is that said climbing buddy constantly asks me to invite her on outdoor trips - yeah right! Said climbing person may be safe, but I do not need that!

ls


k.l.k


Jan 29, 2009, 1:05 AM
Post #41 of 59 (2825 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2007
Posts: 1190

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mission Cliffs or Ironworks?


kriso9tails


Jan 29, 2009, 1:22 AM
Post #42 of 59 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 1, 2001
Posts: 7766

Re: [Osarusan] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Osarusan wrote:
lodi5onu wrote:
Powerspotting - extreme and/or intense spotting of a fellow boulder; sometimes unwarranted or unnecessary due to the lack of any real danger should the climber fall. Powerspotters often use perfect knees and elbows bent, back straight, palms out form while offering calm words of encouragement, although on harder projects the words may take on a tone of excitement or desperation. Spotters hands are usually not more than 1.3 inches from climbers back.

So just to be clear, Powerspotter = douchebag?

Well, no since that's not really what power spotting is (or at the very least is an alternate definition)

Power spotting is the practice of pushing up slightly on the boulderer to alleviate a bit of weight so they can feel out a move while working a problem.


seatbeltpants


Jan 29, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #43 of 59 (2771 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Posts: 581

Re: [kriso9tails] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was wondering if that's what powerspotting was when i saw it mentioned - had a buddy of mine clutching at my arse all the way to the first bolt on a climb the other day.

was he keeping me safe, or copping a feel? who can say...

steve


kriso9tails


Jan 29, 2009, 2:26 AM
Post #44 of 59 (2711 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 1, 2001
Posts: 7766

Re: [seatbeltpants] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
was he keeping me safe, or copping a feel? who can say...

Well, power spotting isn't really about safety, but in this case I'd say it was probably both.

In that scenario he breached climbing etiquette though; he should have offered to get you at least mildly drunk before playing grab-ass.


irregularpanda


Jan 29, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #45 of 59 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Is this kind of reaction more of a person to person specific? Is there climbing buddy etiquette I should know about?

Climbers are like soap operas. Everybody is a slut.

Because you had to ask, you're buying the beer next time.


curt


Jan 29, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #46 of 59 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2002
Posts: 18273

Re: [ladyscarlett] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
Its CLIMBING not SEX.

Get on with your life.

The End.

Heh, yes, when first confronted I did say something like this, and was shot back with something along the lines of 'it's on the same level' which totally did not make sense to me...

Doesn't make sense to me either--most climbing is vertical, except for the occasional traverse. Cool

Curt


Valarc


Jan 29, 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #47 of 59 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 1473

Re: [curt] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
Its CLIMBING not SEX.

Get on with your life.

The End.

Heh, yes, when first confronted I did say something like this, and was shot back with something along the lines of 'it's on the same level' which totally did not make sense to me...

Doesn't make sense to me either--most climbing is vertical, except for the occasional traverse. Cool

Curt

Sex can be had on the vertical, too...


Knee pads are aid, though.


N_Oo_B


Jan 29, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #48 of 59 (2637 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 21, 2007
Posts: 463

Re: [Valarc] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ask most climbers what it is that they enjoy so much and you'll find an answer the brings into focus your situation.


Personally I can only vouch for myself. It's about the fun of movement, challenge, outdoors, and who I'm with. They all focus together. Add in somebody that's bringing a bad energy with them, and the whole mood shifts.

I've taken some gym noobs out a few times, and learned my lesson quick enough.


curt


Jan 29, 2009, 4:28 AM
Post #49 of 59 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2002
Posts: 18273

Re: [Valarc] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
curt wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
Its CLIMBING not SEX.

Get on with your life.

The End.

Heh, yes, when first confronted I did say something like this, and was shot back with something along the lines of 'it's on the same level' which totally did not make sense to me...

Doesn't make sense to me either--most climbing is vertical, except for the occasional traverse. Cool

Curt

Sex can be had on the vertical, too...


Knee pads are aid, though.

aids should be avoided.

Curt


blondgecko
Moderator

Jan 29, 2009, 5:21 AM
Post #50 of 59 (2588 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Posts: 7666

Re: [fxgranite] Climbing buddy ettiquette? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
Valarc wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Valarc wrote:
ladyscarlett wrote:
Is it possible to "cheat" on climbing buddies? Are you expected to ask permission from one partner to climb with another person?


gotta admit, the fact that it changes with each refresh is kind of clever.

I blatantly stole the idea, but it's awesome and was thus worth ganking.

definitly worth ganking. I especially like the one of the half naked babe.]

edited to make pic visable again

<-- Starts obsessively refreshing page.

Edited to fix cheesetittage


(This post was edited by blondgecko on Jan 29, 2009, 5:22 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook