Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
 


Learner


Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 38 (21774 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2011
Posts: 187

TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it


johnwesely


Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #2 of 38 (21747 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 5360

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

Sending implies that you did not fall or weight gear in anyway. The word you are looking for is hangdogging.


Learner


Jun 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 38 (21728 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2011
Posts: 187

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

Sending implies that you did not fall or weight gear in anyway. The word you are looking for is hangdogging.

So, "sending" and "redpointing" are exactly synonymous?

I'll have to assume that if you attempt to send a route and you do make it to the top despite falling once or twice, that is simply "attempting to send the route"...


(This post was edited by Learner on Jun 10, 2011, 1:10 AM)


redlude97


Jun 10, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #4 of 38 (21719 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Posts: 990

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

Sending implies that you did not fall or weight gear in anyway. The word you are looking for is hangdogging.

So, "sending" and "redpointing" are exactly synonymous?
No....


Learner


Jun 10, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #5 of 38 (21700 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2011
Posts: 187

Re: [redlude97] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Learner wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

Sending implies that you did not fall or weight gear in anyway. The word you are looking for is hangdogging.

So, "sending" and "redpointing" are exactly synonymous?
No....

So, "sending" is whenever you climb a route successfully without falling, regardless of which attempt it was or if you've seen someone else climb it?

Tell me if this is correct:
Sending is climbing a route without falling, regardless of whether you redpointed, flashed, or on-sighted. In each of these cases, you would be sending the route--but each case (redpoint/flash/on-sight) refers to your experience prior to sending it. This allows the term "send" a more general application than "redpoint," "flash," or "on-sight."


(This post was edited by Learner on Jun 10, 2011, 1:07 AM)


TarHeelEMT


Jun 10, 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #6 of 38 (21693 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ry_of_climbing_terms


TarHeelEMT


Jun 10, 2011, 1:09 AM
Post #7 of 38 (21686 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta


Learner


Jun 10, 2011, 1:17 AM
Post #8 of 38 (21679 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2011
Posts: 187

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

Thanks! That's what I was thinking (in my last reply). Thanks for the link as well. I didn't know "beta" until now either.


Rabit536


Jun 10, 2011, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 38 (21666 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 26, 2011
Posts: 18

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

RC has its own dictionary

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Dictionary_528.html


(This post was edited by Rabit536 on Jun 10, 2011, 1:44 AM)


johnwesely


Jun 10, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #10 of 38 (21623 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 5360

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.


TarHeelEMT


Jun 10, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #11 of 38 (21614 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.



Personally, i rarely use any of those terms. People use send in that context, though. Especially in the gym.


bearbreeder


Jun 10, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #12 of 38 (21614 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

sending does not include TRing IMO ...

the only people i know who think sending includes TRing are people fresh out of the gym or TR tough guys ...


JAB


Jun 10, 2011, 8:53 AM
Post #13 of 38 (21551 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 26, 2007
Posts: 373

Re: [bearbreeder] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Agree. Sending IMHO means that you led the route clean. Sending can mean either redpoint, flash or onsight. Often it is used in a context of "I sent it on my 3rd try". It I toprope something clean, I just say "I toproped it clean".


michael1245


Jun 10, 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #14 of 38 (21516 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 23, 2010
Posts: 247

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I just say, "I DID IT".

Yay!!! Smile


blueeyedclimber


Jun 10, 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #15 of 38 (21513 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Posts: 4602

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.

Me neither. But how often do you toprope? I would say I toproped it clean, if anything. It's not often I talk to anyone about my "top rope sends." Tongue

Josh


saint_john


Jun 10, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #16 of 38 (21506 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [blueeyedclimber] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

to "send" is to complete a climb successfully from bottom to top whether is is TR, trad, boulder, indoor or outdoor.
what if a route is not bolted and you can only TR it? have you then not "sent" it?


johnwesely


Jun 10, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #17 of 38 (21494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 5360

Re: [blueeyedclimber] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.

Me neither. But how often do you toprope? I would say I toproped it clean, if anything. It's not often I talk to anyone about my "top rope sends." Tongue

Josh

I have top roped, not including seconding multipitch, maybe 5 routes, so I guess I really don't have a say.


blueeyedclimber


Jun 10, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #18 of 38 (21493 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Posts: 4602

Re: [saint_john] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
to "send" is to complete a climb successfully from bottom to top whether is is TR, trad, boulder, indoor or outdoor.
what if a route is not bolted and you can only TR it? have you then not "sent" it?

I did not say that it WASN'T a send. Just that, to brag about sending it on top rope is rather lame Cool

Josh


saint_john


Jun 10, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #19 of 38 (21490 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [blueeyedclimber] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
saint_john wrote:
to "send" is to complete a climb successfully from bottom to top whether is is TR, trad, boulder, indoor or outdoor.
what if a route is not bolted and you can only TR it? have you then not "sent" it?

I did not say that it WASN'T a send. Just that, to brag about sending it on top rope is rather lame Cool

Josh

that I agree with


MarcelS


Jun 10, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #20 of 38 (21474 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2011
Posts: 103

Re: [blueeyedclimber] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I did not say that it WASN'T a send. Just that, to brag about sending it on top rope is rather lame Cool
Josh
For a person that climbs mostly in the gym, since there is not much more to do in a flat country, bragging about toproping a route above your normal top level is not so strange Tongue But yeah, leading a route on or above your normal top level is kewler :-)


sungam


Jun 10, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #21 of 38 (21472 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26804

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.
Well, you don't climb on Southern Sandstone.

*Sits back and awaits the confoozion*


johnwesely


Jun 10, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #22 of 38 (21446 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 5360

Re: [sungam] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.
Well, you don't climb on Southern Sandstone.

*Sits back and awaits the confoozion*

So confused.


aprice00


Jun 10, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #23 of 38 (21426 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2010
Posts: 167

Re: [Learner] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.


Partner cracklover


Jun 10, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #24 of 38 (21414 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10162

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.

^^^ Is wrong.

But anyway...

Back to the question of toproping. To send is to complete the route or problem in good style. So if it's a toprope route in the gym and I climbed it with no falls, there's nothing whatsoever lame or shady or embarrasing about saying I sent it.

The same is true outside. Though some of you may not be aware of it, there are places where short and not very protectable cliffs are not bolted into sport routes, they are left as toprope routes. To say that you sent one is perfectly clear, and perfectly proud.

GO


sungam


Jun 10, 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #25 of 38 (21408 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26804

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.
Well, you don't climb on Southern Sandstone.

*Sits back and awaits the confoozion*

So confused.
Mwahahaha! Google it.


johnwesely


Jun 10, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #26 of 38 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 5360

Re: [sungam] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.
Well, you don't climb on Southern Sandstone.

*Sits back and awaits the confoozion*

So confused.
Mwahahaha! Google it.

I wouldn't toprope there either.


TarHeelEMT


Jun 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #27 of 38 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.


Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2487358;#2487358

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2505160;#2505160


roninthorne


Jun 11, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #28 of 38 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2002
Posts: 659

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.

You can, though... you just have to throw away the line, oh-so-casual, that Peter Croft once told you that toproping was as close to free soloing as you can get. I've heard this one a dozen times out of a few climbers i know.... always worth a snort of derision...


aprice00


Jun 13, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #29 of 38 (1922 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2010
Posts: 167

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.


Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2487358;#2487358

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2505160;#2505160

Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Not saying im an expert on terminology I just think its pretentious to think that you can force meaning on a word just because you want it to be exclusive.

As in "He tottaly didn't send that route it was on a TR"

Climbing is about personal achievment, not stacking your ability against others. So who gives a shit if you concider your TR a send.

If you want to convey how you climbed a route you have on-sight, redpoint, pinkpoint, flash....

IMO its each climbers perogative how they define a send.

It just dawned on me TarHeelEMT.... dont you Aid? You have an A2 on your Acent log and Im pretty sure you had to weight gear on that one.

So the question is.. Do you concider a hangdog a send?


sungam


Jun 13, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #30 of 38 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26804

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yes, because aid climbing and claiming a send on a free route you hung on in the same. Clearly the aim that you set out with has nothing to do with whether or not you succeeded - and the term "send" is usually very close to synonymous with "success" (or some tense/whatever thereof).


TarHeelEMT


Jun 13, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #31 of 38 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.


Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2487358;#2487358

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2505160;#2505160

Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Not saying im an expert on terminology I just think its pretentious to think that you can force meaning on a word just because you want it to be exclusive.

As in "He tottaly didn't send that route it was on a TR"

Climbing is about personal achievment, not stacking your ability against others. So who gives a shit if you concider your TR a send.

If you want to convey how you climbed a route you have on-sight, redpoint, pinkpoint, flash....

IMO its each climbers perogative how they define a send.

It just dawned on me TarHeelEMT.... dont you Aid? You have an A2 on your Acent log and Im pretty sure you had to weight gear on that one.

So the question is.. Do you concider a hangdog a send?

You met your fail quota for the day in a single post. Impressive.


olderic


Jun 13, 2011, 5:45 PM
Post #32 of 38 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1539

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Actually your "understanding of rope systems" or not has little to do with your epic fail status here. You established that out of the chute when you claimed that "send" was derived from "ascend". That certainly cemented your pampered suburban white boy status but didn't do much for your street cred....


TarHeelEMT


Jun 13, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #33 of 38 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [olderic] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

I don't know for certain, though. It's hard to pick just one favorite.


(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 13, 2011, 5:49 PM)


aprice00


Jun 13, 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #34 of 38 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2010
Posts: 167

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

I don't know for certain, though. It's hard to pick just one favorite.

No irony, I wrote that with the understanding that you and I have the same definition of send. My stance though is one's measure of send/success is soverign and should be preserved.


Partner cracklover


Jun 13, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #35 of 38 (1882 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10162

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

I don't know for certain, though. It's hard to pick just one favorite.

No irony, I wrote that with the understanding that you and I have the same definition of send. My stance though is one's measure of send/success is soverign and should be preserved.

Sure, you're free to have whatever delusions you like. But when you present an apple to the world, and you say "this is a banana" we are free to laugh in your face.

GO


kachoong


Jun 13, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #36 of 38 (1876 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 23, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [cracklover] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

I don't know for certain, though. It's hard to pick just one favorite.

No irony, I wrote that with the understanding that you and I have the same definition of send. My stance though is one's measure of send/success is soverign and should be preserved.

Sure, you're free to have whatever delusions you like. But when you present an apple to the world, and you say "this is a banana" we are free to laugh in your face.

GO

That reminds me of that movie The Invention of Lying. Funny movie.


spikeddem


Jun 13, 2011, 7:26 PM
Post #37 of 38 (1856 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.


Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2487358;#2487358

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2505160;#2505160

Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Not saying im an expert on terminology I just think its pretentious to think that you can force meaning on a word just because you want it to be exclusive.

As in "He tottaly didn't send that route it was on a TR"

Climbing is about personal achievment, not stacking your ability against others. So who gives a shit if you concider your TR a send.

If you want to convey how you climbed a route you have on-sight, redpoint, pinkpoint, flash....

IMO its each climbers perogative how they define a send.

It just dawned on me TarHeelEMT.... dont you Aid? You have an A2 on your Acent log and Im pretty sure you had to weight gear on that one.

So the question is.. Do you concider a hangdog a send?

You met your fail quota for the day in a single post. Impressive.


bahahah!!


bearbreeder


Jun 13, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #38 of 38 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

its funny ... when some kid says "i sent this 11b" ...

i usually ask "nice, did you lead it?"

sometimes theyll say "yeah" ... then i say "awesome job"

often theyll say "i did it on TR and thats a send" ... then i say "you should lead it for a send" ... sometimes they do get a bit mad at that point and argue TRing is sending, even if not clean

the best is when they say "i onsighted it" ... while their buddies are giving beta and theyre on TR

not that it really matters at the end of the day ... some people will always inflate their style and grades, its their own business ... until they start bragging about it to everyone around you ...

 

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook