Premier Sponsor:

-mountain-goat-
Deleted

Feb 21, 2005, 6:24 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Robot Cam Gaps
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the deal,
I'm finishing up my rack, I just bought a full set of robot cams 1-8, and I know that there are some gaps. Heres my question: What is the best way to fill these gaps? The biggest one is between #1 & #2, I really dont want to buy more than 3 cams. What sizes of any other brands should I buy? Are 3 cams enough to complete my rack? If I were to throw in an extra cam or 2 (besides my gap fillers) what would be the best size? Thanks...
(also keep in mind my tiny budget!!)
~Russ

Size--------Range(mm)
0.25--------12-16.5
0.5---------14-20
0.75--------17-24.5
1----------- 20-29
2------------27-41
3----------- 35-53
4------------48-67
5----------- 61-91

lucas_timmer

Feb 25, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Re: Robot Cam Gaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Rock Empire Pulsars could fill in the gap probaply, or maybe some BD C4's ??

irockclimbtoo

Feb 25, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

philfell

Feb 25, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It all depends on where you climb the most and what climbs you will be doing. I started with a set of robots. You can get up a lot of climbs with just the robots and a set of nuts. If I were you I'd get a .75 and a 1 Black Diamond Camalot. Hold off on buying your thrid cam until you go out and get a few climbs in then decide if you should expand your rack to add a smaller sized (.5 camalot) or a bigger size (2 camalot).

The .75 will fit between the 1 and 2 robot. and the 1 camalot will fit between the 2 and 3 robot. Hope this helps.

markc

Feb 25, 2005, 4:57 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found that with the Rock Empires, as well. I think it's a fairly common problem for discount cams. There are comparison charts for SLCDs available on the web. I found one at tradgirl. That will give you the brands of cams that fit nicely in the gap, and then you can base your choice on preferences between the brands. Some of the charts are a bit dated. You can always do your own research on newer cams, visiting the sites of manufacturers, printing out the specs, and comparing yourself.

One of the mags put together a cam guide a while back. IIRC they measured the cams themselves rather than basing it on manufacturers specs. This was probably a couple of years ago, but I'll see if I can scare up a reference later if I have time.

Partner hosh

Feb 25, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tricams work nicely or just get good at passive gear and buy nuts like i did i have 25 of them... im so proud

me too. I've got 29 nuts...

and I agree. Cams aren't the only kind of pro to get. If you're looking for a filler for the 1 and 2, I'd say an alien. I think it's the green or the yellow that'll fill that gap. The pink Tri-cam is very sweet. Get one of those and learn how to use it correctly. and for bigger stuff, Hexes are the way. there's nothing quite as reasuring as a bomber hex placement.

Build a good passive rack, it's good to be able to use more than just cams.

lucas_timmer

Feb 26, 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only gap is between size 1 and 2, but if you want to be able to cover each size you should buy Rock Empire Pulsars size 6 and 7.

-mountain-goat-
Deleted

Mar 2, 2005, 6:13 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 3 full sets of nuts (trango, cassin, wild country) 4 pink tricams and an old set of hexes, I have always placed passive pro, this is my first set of cams, ( I normally use my buddies), But I really have more experience with passive than I do active. I just wanted a good versitile set of cams, because some places you NEED a cam. I just want to be able to cover everything. Thanks for the info guys!

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 2, 2005, 8:44 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your still shopping on the cheap, the new RE pulsars do have a bit more range than the robots - might look at them in addition to the others mentioned (BD or Alien). Nothing wrong with having mismatched brands as long as you can remember what it compares to size wise.

I just got a set of pulsars two weeks ago and I'm still working them through the paces. My only issue so far as been needing smaller than the #1 pulsar or needing doubles of #1 or #2, but that's just the crack climbs I've been doing - your mileage may vary depending on the climbs you do.

Right now I'm considering getting a set of Microbots while they are still on sale.. Of course those aliens in the store are still calling to me as well.

blakester

Mar 2, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gaps in teh set of robots are between the #1 and #2 (noticeable) and between the #3 and #4 (real small gap). A WC tech friend 1.5 or DMM 1.5 fills teh first gap well, and a Wild country #3 fills the second gap well. Rockempire is now selling Robot cams, Pulsar Cams, and "comet cams".... good prices on good gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook