Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
help finding jeans - small waist big thighs!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

ecocliffchick

Mar 15, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #1 of 24 (4368 views)
Shortcut

help finding jeans - small waist big thighs!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok - to all you ladies who posted about having problems finding a harness to fit because of your tiny waist and giant thighs, here's an even more pressing question:
Where do you find jeans to fit you?

I haven't been able to find a pair that fits in the past year. I'll try them on and the ones that fit over my thighs look fine from the front - but there will be this giagantic gap in the back (I could probably fit a Nalgene in there?)

Is anyone else having this problem or am I just a freak of nature? I have a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips... and I need help before I resort to wearing climbing tights to work!

winter

Mar 15, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Re: help finding jeans - small waist big thighs! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have this too, 10" difference though. All jeans do the back gape, it's really frustrating.
Your options are total waist high mom jeans (puke) or to spend big money.

SEVEN makes a model called the dojo and they fit great, roomy in the thighs, still moderately low (not showing your ass) and super comfy to boot. Nicely contoured waist, minimal gape.
Another very good brand for this type of body is G-Star. Their jeans have a totally contoured waist band that leaves NO gap and very roomy thighs.
Both these jeans will cost you 150-200$ but really these days for anything cool, that's what it costs.

Partner macherry

Mar 15, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try old navy. they make lots of different kinds of fits and you can get them in: the waist, just below the waist and low cut models.

and they are relatively cheap

angelaa

Mar 15, 2005, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same problem! I can find jeans that fit in the thighs and hips, but then the waist is either big enough for two of me, or it's SO low rise it leaves nothing to the imagination! (i.e. everything that I have tried on at Old Navy :oops: )

I actually have found that Calvin Klein jeans fit me really well - I don't normally pay full price for them - we have "Gordmans" in Omaha where I can get them 1/2 off, but I have gone to the department store when the discount store didn't have my sizes.

My Sister used to have this issue too and resorted to using a tailor!

If anyone has any other fixes I'd love to hear 'em!

ecocliffchick

Mar 15, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #5 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips on the brands SEVEN and G-star - I've never heard of them but I'll have to look around at some of the "high end" jean stores.

Old Navy is out for me. I'm also close to 6 feet tall, and all of there pants fit me like capris.

I'll check out the ck jeans too.

I have tried having pants tailored - but when they trim off the excess at the waist - they are too small to fit over my ass to take them off- even with the zipper completely undone. I can get skirts tailored because I can take them off over my head, but no such luck with pants.

Right now I'm willing to pay big bucks as long as they will fit!

wa_hoo

Mar 16, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #6 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always have this problem and find GAP jeans fit really well, especially the lower rise ones because then I can get them to fit my hip size better and since they don't get near my waist, it all works!

There are a handful of GAP outlets around the country, otherwise full price (they have on-line coupons if you sign up for their mailing list that are pretty good - like $15 off $75).

angelaa

Mar 16, 2005, 3:24 AM
Post #7 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have a length problem - I need at least 32" inseam and CK has LONGS - I also have the problem with short zippers not getting over my hips!!!

elshells

Mar 16, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #8 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with winter 7 and g-star are both great brands for the people who can afford 150$ jeans.

I don't have this problem (I am the opposite big waist small thighs) but my younger sister has the super hourglass shape and she loves The Limited jeans. I think they run between $50-$60 a pair. She says they are the only jeans that don't gap in the back of her waist.

You can find a Limited store at almost any mall....As for me the Gap fits perfectly!

Also for those of you looking for a higher rise jean you can look up jag jeans. I think they are sold in Saks 5th Avenue and other upscale boutiques, but the sell for around $68. This denim line is perfect for a more missy customer and someone looking for a modest fit. The fabric is great because it has a touch of lycra so you could even climb in them :wink:

clausti

Mar 16, 2005, 4:11 AM
Post #9 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the exact same problem... only about 4" differnce between my waiste and the circumfrence around the middle of my thigh. hard to find jeans that fit, for sure.

some levi's premium cut jeans, the real lowrise ones, fit really well. i hate to resort to stretch jeans, but the ones that are just a *little* stretchy are ok.

yeah i hate stretch jeans.

dunno how old you are, but american eagle makes some damn fine jeans, as well.

ecocliffchick

Mar 16, 2005, 2:14 PM
Post #10 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the great ideas. I tried on 28 pairs of jeans last night and no luck. I did find 'seven' jeans, and they felt like they would be perfect, if only the store stocked a larger size. They only had up to size 31 and I'd really need at least a 33... Then again, the entire store went up to size 32 so maybe I shouldn't have been shopping there in the first place.

I really hate it when there are no large sizes in a store. I usually have pretty good self-esteem but when everything in every store is too small for me, it just makes me feel like crap.

Oh well, the quest continues. I'll see if I can find a Limitted store - maybe in Toronto? (I'm in Canada)

axelcrash

Mar 16, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #11 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
elshells Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: help finding jeans - small waist big thighs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with winter 7 and g-star are both great brands for the people who can afford 150$ jeans.

I don't have this problem (I am the opposite big waist small thighs) but my younger sister has the super hourglass shape and she loves The Limited jeans. I think they run between $50-$60 a pair. She says they are the only jeans that don't gap in the back of her waist.

You can find a Limited store at almost any mall....As for me the Gap fits perfectly!

I tend to have the gap problem because I have a bit of a booty. I definitly agree with The Limited for jeans that dont gap in the back . They fit me well most of the time and I dont have to try on 15 different pairs or different styles everytime I go to buy jeans at The limited. As long as you remember the cut you bought last time you should be fine.

winter

Mar 16, 2005, 3:59 PM
Post #12 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eco, you're in Canada??
Holt Renfrew has a good selection of jeans. My girlfriend who is a 32 bought her 7's there. The other option is to try them on at holt so you know your size/style then order them online. There is a store here called underground that carries G-star and Seven, do you have it out east.
Unfortunately for me I find that jeans with stretch just make me look fat, not enough restriction there....

Another thing Eco, for your (our) body shape, the best pants in the world are Geek Boutique (made in Toronto). They make a style called the 5 Iron that are my absolute favorite pants ever. They aren't denim but fit sooo well, no gape. They have generous thighs. I am an XS in those and a 28 in regular jeans so you would probably find they make a big enough size. You can find them on queen st and at the store where they make them, can't remember wher that is.

danieladaniela

Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #13 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trousers are not that difficult to make, ask around. I bet someone in your town can custom make them for you :D

comet

Mar 16, 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #14 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the same problem, even though my waist isn't that tiny! and my legs aren't that big! WTF?!

since you're willing to pay a little more...citizens of humanity make a couple great pairs with just a little stretch in them--super comfy, and they make the ass of virtually every woman i've seen them on (a wide range of body types) look fantastic :) you can find them at a nordstrom's or similar type store, and they'll run you ~$130. my boyfriend laughs at me for spending that much on jeans, but i'd way rather spend the money on something i'm going to wear every day than some stupid dress that i'll only wear once a year.

maculated

Mar 17, 2005, 6:37 AM
Post #15 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

J Crew - Favorite Fit. I have decided to never look for another fit of pants again. Comes in khaki, shorts, capris, jeans, you name it. Try, I promise you'll like it.

xgretax

Mar 17, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #16 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HELPPPPPP!!!!!!

I have a similar problem, however, i have a FAR more pressing problem that must be addressed before the thigh-waist issue: THE RISE! I have a long rise, so all pants that may fit me, end up showing my ass (or about to), yet they fit everywhere else. Yes, I know, that is the style now, but this is drastic and I've always have had this problem. Please help me! I'm sick of having to buy pants 2-5 sizes larger. I'm screwed if they don't have a belt loop. :oops:

angelaa

Mar 17, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #17 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
HELPPPPPP!!!!!!

I have a similar problem, however, i have a FAR more pressing problem that must be addressed before the thigh-waist issue: THE RISE! I have a long rise, so all pants that may fit me, end up showing my ass (or about to), yet they fit everywhere else. Yes, I know, that is the style now, but this is drastic and I've always have had this problem. Please help me! I'm sick of having to buy pants 2-5 sizes larger. I'm screwed if they don't have a belt loop. :oops:

I understand your plight!
I am also long waisted!
(low rise + crop top)long waisted = WAY too much A$$ crack and Midsection showing!!!

ecocliffchick

Mar 18, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #18 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit, I'm long waisted too - but that just goes along with being very tall. I really don't mind if my pants are low rise (nothing rediculous, an inch or two below the bellybutton - not four!) but I have to always have a long shirt to wear with them. My most recent solution - Calvin Klein tank tops. They are a thin layer that I can wear under any shirt, come in great colours and are long, long, long so they cover the four inch band of exponsed skin that always results from wearing clothes designed for 5'4 women when I'm 5'11.

I'm am very happy that clothing trends this year are heading away from cropped shirts and towards longer tunic length tops. Yeah tunics!

magpie

Mar 20, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #19 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my gosh, I just went through this problem. I have bought (Limited) Express jeans for years because they fit both my waist and thighs. I went to the mall (UGH I HATE THE MALL!!!!) and went in there, and couldn't find anything that wasn't:
A) stretch
B) crazy flared bottoms
C) insanely, butt-crack showingly low
D) no stretch, but really thin, flimsy "denim"

I was so upset! Actually, express had NO jeans that weren't stretch. I went into the Gap, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. Same thing. I was sooo p*ssed off at Brittney Spears by the time I left there. One of the store employees told me that to find non-stretch, decently-thick jeans, I'd have to go to a VINTAGE shop. I'm sorry, am I that out of the loop? I'm only 30... Doesn't anyone else around want just some normal old tough blue jeans with a boot cut????!???? What the hell??? Even if I was a size 2 instead of a 10, I wouldn't want stretch jeans.

I'm going to hit some vintage/goodwill shops, and maybe check out some of the jeans you've all recommended. I couldn't believe the huge change in jeans styles in a year. Incredible. Someone here should start their own company and make bank! Thanks for letting me vent- my husband didn't quite understand- men's jeans haven't changed much over the years and they have the luxury of an actual measurement system for their sizes (32"x32", now doesn't that make sense?)

autumngirl

Mar 23, 2005, 3:45 AM
Post #20 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definately am in the same boat as you ladies....small waist but ass to boot! As in I can wear size 3 or 4 formal gowns (the ones that are very tight through the waist and then flair out over your hips/ass) but always end up in size 8 or 9 jeans! I agree about the JCrew pants, but I'm still on the lookout for jeans I can wear without a belt. *Sigh*
Yeah for tunic-length shirts coming back though...I am getting sick of realizing my midriff is always showing with this whole long-waisted thing!

climbinggirl33

Mar 24, 2005, 2:07 AM
Post #21 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Smaller Waste and Bigger Hips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Too funny: you are not alone. Just read about this new brand today!!!

"Are there jeans out there that are designed for women with smaller waists and wider hips?

Joe’s Jeans introduced the bootcut Honey jeans ($145 to $174; joesjeans.com). The jeans are designed so they don’t gape at the waist. “We make our jeans with a two-piece waistband that is sewn together, so there’s more of a curve,” says Joe Dahan, designer and creative director. Honey jeans are a favorite of Beyoncé, Alicia Keys and Eve. "

You can get Joe's Jeans at Nordstoms. . . never tried em but wanted to share

angelaa

Mar 25, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #22 of 24 (4368 views)
Shortcut

Re: Smaller Waste and Bigger Hips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this mean I can say I have curves like Beyonce?? :wink:

ALLRIGHT!!! :o

tavs

Mar 28, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #23 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grrr, just crafted a long reply that got lost. So, the summary version:

Magpie--I fully understand your frustration with the sudden disappearance of non-stretch jeans. I went to Gap looking to recreate the experience I had borrowing a friend's pair of year-old, wonderfully broken in, like butter jeans, and found the style only available in stretch now. Still ended up getting them--Long and Lean is the style, and they're ok, but not as good as hers. I do find them to be a pretty good fit, and I've got a 9 inch different between waist and hips, and more importantly, pretty hefty thighs. There is some gapping, but nothing a belt can't handle.

Ecocliffchick--as a 5'4.5" women, I have to disagree with the idea that pants are made for me!! I don't think they're actually made for any of us. I always find the "short" jeans hit at my ankle bone (looking more like too-long capris), while the "regulars" (one would think "average" and I'm just an inch or so short of that) cover, literally, my entire foot. I'm tired of having to hem every pair of pants I buy.

I also think that with the low-rise trend, designers forgot that even with the low waist, 99% of women are still bigger around at the hips that where the waist band of the pants hits, and they neglect to built any sort of "hip" into the pants.

Keep the suggestions coming, though. I'm going to try out Maculated's guaranteed J Crew ones and some of these others (though $100-plus is just not in the budget!!).

dshoffman

Apr 3, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #24 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think anyone has mentioned Silver Jeans yet. Like everyone else in this forum, I pretty much hate all jeans. It's the most frustrating thing ever to go shopping for jeans. So far, the best I've found are Silver jeans, but you have to sort through their huge line of models to find the right one. Many of their jeans are stretch or HUGE flare. They do however, have some that are not. Also, they make them in long lengths. I've heard Abercrombie has a new pair of jeans out that's over a $100 but not stretch...

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook