RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

aniyunwiyaclimber

Mar 31, 2005, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

So cool! Feel empowered today
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to share with the group - today for work we took a group of kids indoor rock climbing, and I spent 3 hours belaying. It was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. I shared some of my knowledge to help my colleagues and the kids, and it was fun!

geekerella

Mar 31, 2005, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Re: So cool! Feel empowered today [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is awesome aniyunwiyaclimber!!!
I love seeing kids have a sense of accomplishment, self-confidence and motivation. I love seeing the kids get off the wall and say, "Look how high I climbed!" You can see in the excitement on their face.
Where do you work? How did this come about that you were able to take kids climbing? Can you give more details on how you were able to get this accomplished?

aniyunwiyaclimber

Apr 1, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #3 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work for a counseling center that does experiential and wilderness therapy with teens. We'd set up this event to do indoor climbing with kids on spring break, and I offered to come in on my day off and belay, but they told me it was likely I couldn't because it wasn't our wall (we don't have our own) - I came anyway, and happened to bring my own equipment, and as it turned out, at the gym we were at, the belaying staff didn't come, and our own staff didn't know how to tie the kids in, so I got to offer some training to my co-worker on tying the double back figure eights (he knew how to belay using a gri gri, but someone else had always tied the knots) - so I got my chance to use my knowledge and belay the kids. That was so cool!

We take kids out on trail and kayaking and climbing and ice climbing too. I haven't done that yet, as I'm new to the company - Some of my co-workers on the team have kept me at arms length - I'm the only psychologist there on the team, and I'm 38, and it's a very young group of counselors - so I think they had some preconceived ideas about me - like I'm too old or educated to help out in a practical way.

I've been working really hard to prove them wrong since I got there. I've helped shop for trips, gone on gear runs, made sleeping bag sacs, packed meals for trail, greeted returning trips, washed dishes, etc etc etc but there is still a bit of "well, let's not ask her for help" mentality which drives me nutso. So, because of the mix up at the rock wall and them not having anyone who knew enough to make it happen, I got my chance. That was very cool. I was particularly glad I had my own equipment with me, because it made it easier to feel confident. My co-worker got good at tying the kids in himself after awhile, and said he thought my way of belaying (using my Petzl Reverso) looked a lot easier than the gri gri's he's been taught on.

It was such a cool experience, with the kids. They were 11-16. Some were timid, told me they were scared, and we talked about it, and they'd try again and I gave them encouragement for trying. Others shared strategies with each other. One of the kids I was belaying made it to the top of a 30 ft wall on his second try. Another made it about 20 feet up, came down and tried again later, learned to sit back in the harness, shake his arms out, solve the problem. It was so cool. Such a metaphor for what the kids struggle with on a daily basis sometimes. At one point, the kids waiting were heckling kids and I called back to them while I was belaying that that wasn't cool, their job was to encourage, and they turned it all around and were cheering each other on. So, lots of success, for the kids, and for me, personally.

Word got out around work when we returned that I belayed for the kids, taught them and staff about the knots, and made the event a success. So, that was really nice, too.

aniyunwiyaclimber

Apr 1, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #4 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to mention that at my own gym where I climb, they are having a competition - I checked and the climbs start at 5.9 level for adults, and on my good days, I'm around a 5.6 climber. But I noticed they were looking for judges for the competition, so I asked what were the qualifications. They said you needed to be at least 18, know how to belay or spot, and commit to being there for the day, and they'll teach people what to look for to judge. So, I volunteered to be a judge for the competion! I'm doing that this Saturday.

And another funny, empowering happening --- with our spring break programming, early on I'd volunteered to take our youth on a hike and community service clean up to a prairie area across the street from us. The folks at work ignored my idea completely, kept it off the programming. Today, after 4 days of figuring out what works and doesn't work for the youth, they were trying to figure out how to engage the teen boys who are older and less likely to talk and play games. So, I offered again to take them out for a woods clean up - teen boys like physical activity, to get outdoors, and we may as well do something fun, since the weather is nice. And they said "whatever you want to do!" Woohoo!

wa_hoo

Apr 1, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #5 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually taken several school groups climbing and found it incredibly worth the bit of paperwork headache getting the waivers all signed.

I first took 70 (yes, it's not a typo!) 7th graders bouldering at the gym - they were low income, rough kids - and they had a blast! I was a bit concerned because they can be a little wild at times, but the climbing was the perfect outlet and they climbed hard and topped out the whole 2 hours! One of the best field trips I've ever done.

Since then I've taken two other groups of 40 6-8 graders bouldering and it was just as valuable. It's incredible to watch them succeed and feel really good about themselves and try something new and different!

It's not as scary as I thought it was (I had nightmares of broken ankles). None ever got hurt, all actually climbed responsibly, and it was a blast!

geekerella

Apr 1, 2005, 5:45 AM
Post #6 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I volunteered to be a judge for the competion! I'm doing that this Saturday.
...... And they said "whatever you want to do!" Woohoo!

Good For you!!! I bet you in no time at all you will start feeling like you are fitting in at work, but most of all you can go to bed at night knowing that you've helped a kid or two with some confidence and self esteem. One day they will look back and tell their children how they went to the gym and climbed with this "Old woman" Belaying ;)
(To most kids, 30 something is OLD!!!)

geekerella

Apr 1, 2005, 5:50 AM
Post #7 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I first took 70 (yes, it's not a typo!) 7th graders bouldering at the gym

wa_hoo, 70 kids??? Are you NUTS?? ummmm ... well.. aniyunwiyaclimber is a psychologist ;)

That is wonderful that you take the time out to spend with the kids that probably need it most!

Such great stories!!!

wa_hoo

Apr 2, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #8 of 8 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually it was pretty easy - even with the 70 seventh graders. If any of you think you may be up for such an outing - here are a few pointers.

1) you deal with making sure all the waivers and fees are collected ahead of time in cash with all the right signatures
2) bouldering with spotters from the gym made it so tons of kids could climb at once, and only those going high needed supervision
3) assist the gym in making sure they are ready by asking if they have enough shoes, have a low (1:7 or so) spotter to kid ratio
4) go when the gym is more likely to be empty so they don't bug regular customers

Relax, they want to be there and want to have fun - so acting up was never an issue!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook