RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

gymslackerclimber

Mar 31, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

How Do You Fill The Gap??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so you have a huge cliff on the right and a huge cliff on the left, both of them end at the same height,, you deside that you want to put a highline at the top ,,, so you have your webbing and all you gear and your at the base of the cliffs,, but HOW do you get the line across? do you have two teams climb each side at the same time both holding the line,, do you stand at the top of one cliff and use some hardcore gun to shoot the line across,,, or maybe you use some trained hawk to fly the line across...??? Like the 'spire' some thousand feet in the air how the hell did they get that line accross the gap??

Partner ctardi

Apr 3, 2005, 4:36 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Re: How Do You Fill The Gap?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it's kinda like the "in top roping, how do you get the rope up there".

You would have to describe it better...can you hike to the top of both? Do you have webbing that is alot longer than the gap? Describe more and you will probably get answers

gymslackerclimber

Apr 3, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok thanks ctardi,,, so lets say you can hike up boh sides, your at the top of one with your your line and gear, and the other side is 100 feet away, (how do yo get it to the other side)?? and you dont have a bunch of extra webbing,.

petsfed

Apr 3, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok so you have a huge cliff on the right and a huge cliff on the left, both of them end at the same height,, you deside that you want to put a highline at the top ,,, so you have your webbing and all you gear and your at the base of the cliffs,, but HOW do you get the line across? do you have two teams climb each side at the same time both holding the line,, do you stand at the top of one cliff and use some hardcore gun to shoot the line across,,, or maybe you use some trained hawk to fly the line across...??? Like the 'spire' some thousand feet in the air how the hell did they get that line accross the gap??

Tie a long rope to the end of slackline and drag that up when you go to the top of the second spire. Then just haul in the rope, tighten the line, and slack.

theturtle

Apr 4, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so lets say you can hike up boh sides, your at the top of one with your your line and gear, and the other side is 100 feet away, (how do yo get it to the other side)?? and you dont have a bunch of extra webbing,.

First of all, I don't believe this is a real question. (troll?) If you're serious, you are not ready to know the answer.

Rigging slacklines is about problem solving, if you can't figure something out you need to think about it a little more, or take up sport-climbing. :lol:

gymslackerclimber

Apr 4, 2005, 6:11 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok,,,, turtle,,, everything IS about problem solving and i understand that,, and probably every highline set-up requires a totally different rig-up-procedure, i have only set up a highline using two trees, and in a gym,, so sorry for my ignorance,, and sorry if my question was too 'self- explanitory' for you.. i enjoy being a part of this fourm and alway want to absorb some knowledge and experience from the experienced ( i have already taken up sport climbing),,,, and yes i could have thought about it a little or a lot more,, i just figured i could get some stright forward answers here. but i guess i shouldn't ask questions that i dont have experience with, just ask the questions that i already know answeres too,,,,(WAIT,, NO.,,, that dosent make sence at all) OH , here it is,,, maybe i should think a little more, to my self, about all the questions in my life that im unfamiliar with , that way to insure i dont make my self sound like a 'joke' to anyone...... but the truth ,, im young,, have alot to learn,, and i dont mind sounding 'ignorant' from a question that i have no answer too,, sorry for responding so defensively,,, but give the little/ less experienced fish a break once in a while..

jeremy11

Apr 4, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(note: I have not done the following procedure in its entirety for highline purpose, but have used the basic idea elsewhere)

use a tyrolean traverse setup which can be found in Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills. First climb or hike to the top of one side. fix the rope and rappel to the bottom between the two sides. tie that to yourself somewhere and climb the other side. fix that rope and rappel on it (with the slackline tied to your harness) while ascending the other line at the sane time (rappel some, ascend some) until you reach the other side. then do the highline setup.
this could be modified as the particular situation dictates.

fingersonfrets

Apr 5, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have only set up a highline using two trees,

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :nono: :nono: :shock: :shock:

scarpenter

Apr 5, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a bow, an arrow, and some thin line (fishing line? 2mm acc cord?). Climb to the top of one, tie the thin line to the arrow and shoot it across. Then use the line to pull the webbing.

You know that would be cool 8^)

gymslackerclimber

Apr 6, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so fingersonfrets,,, a highline useing two trees is frowned upon..? I live in chicago, trees are the only thing (besides buildings) that go vertical.. Two soild oak trees with pads all the way around.:righton:... what is so outrageous about that...??

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook