RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jarredlach22611

May 20, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Weight loss
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi im about 25 pounds overweight and wonder if any one new if i will lose alot of weight rockclimbing 3 times a week

mesomorf

May 20, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weight loss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably you will not lose much weight, if that is your entire weight loss plan.

overlord

May 21, 2005, 7:52 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, if you have good nutrition and other excercise plan (some general aerobics) than yes.

but why is this in the I&A forum???

nd2boostt

May 23, 2005, 2:21 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you are increasing your activity level (assuming that you didn't work out as much before), but you can't expect to lose (fat) just by getting exercise. You will develop alot more muscle, but you need to alter your diet in order to lose fat. But you will probably want to do that anyway though, if you are interested in optimum performance. Plus, depending on how much you want to lose (and how quickly), you might want to consider doing cardio a few times a week.

Check the Technique and Training forum for more info.

blather

May 23, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While aimed a runners the following link gives a fair run-down on burning energy during exercise:

http://www.teamoregon.com/publications/energy.html

nd2boostt

May 23, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you are increasing your activity level (assuming that you didn't work out as much before), but you can't expect to lose (fat) just by getting exercise. You will develop alot more muscle, but you need to alter your diet in order to lose fat. But you will probably want to do that anyway though, if you are interested in optimum performance.

Check the Technique and Training forum for more info.

phlsphr

May 23, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just rockclimbing 3 times a week alone won't drop the pounds. But if you truely get hooked on the sport, then it will become a great motivator. Becoming a climber has completely changed my physique, and because I am obsessed with the sport I am perhaps in the best shape of my life.

nd2boostt

May 23, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just rockclimbing 3 times a week alone won't drop the pounds. But if you truely get hooked on the sport, then it will become a great motivator. Becoming a climber has completely changed my physique, and because I am obsessed with the sport I am perhaps in the best shape of my life.

I agree 110%. My eating habits have changed completely. I started cutting calories about 7 months ago and have lost 30 lbs and my physique has completely changed. Now I eat for nutrition and energy (certain portions at certain times of the day) so my body is fully prepared for my 3-4 hours of climbing a few nights a week. I look and feel a million times healthier.

papounet

May 23, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless weight loss is considered a good move to prevent injuries and/or accident, why don't you head over to the "technique and training" forum where this subject is discussed evey 10 posts or so.

(nothing against the subject, just let's try to keep stuff where it belongs);

saltamonte

May 23, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends how far of a hike it is to the crag you plan to climb at?

to loose weight your best bet is areobic excercise that is excercise that raises and sustains your heart rate above 120 in fact ideally you would like to be near 70-85% of your heart capacity. your heart rate capacity by the way is approximately 220 minus your age. so if you are 20 your max is about 200 and 70-85% of that would be 140-170. so though climbing is good excercise if you only goal is to loose weight you could probably better invest your time biking, jogging, swimming, or areobics in fact anything you do if your heart rate is high enough and sustained for at least 10 minute intervals. will do good.

the advantage of using heart rate instead of miles run or laps walked or feet climbed etc... is that your heart rate is the perfect gauge for your physical fitness. for example as a triathlete and adventure racer when i do areobics with a group i reach about 120-130 heart rate when most of the others are at 170 plus but a 300 lbs fat man may reach 85% of his heart capacity while just climbing stairs at what we would consider a normal walking pace. if each person checks his heart rate they can do as much or as little as it takes to get the excercise they need to increase their health and of course burn the calories that will shed the pounds

For most people in moderate to good health rockclimbing will not raise and sustain your heart rate very high for very long. there for though it is without a doubt excercise you may not see the weight loss you are hoping for especially if you drive to a gym walk 50 feet and then climb, belay, climb, belay, climb a forty foot wall.

jt512

May 23, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hi im about 25 pounds overweight and wonder if any one new if i will lose alot of weight rockclimbing 3 times a week

Is this an injury or accident?

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook