Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Avoiding climbing conflicts with my wife....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

3happy04

Jul 13, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Avoiding climbing conflicts with my wife....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had to pass this on...This has been an on going "sore point" in our relationship. I want to spend my free time climbing and my wife climbs sometimes but she can take it or leave it. I've been talking to a lot of climbers out there who at some point in their lives had a relationship stressed by their passion for their hobby. My brother in law told me about this website, and since I started using it she is so much happier, and I get to go climbing with no guilt trips laid on me. www.mrthoughtful.com So worth it!
-Dave in Portland, OR

mgoodro

Jul 13, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Re: Avoiding climbing conflicts with my wife.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SPAM

Nice try, though.

billcoe_

Jul 13, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same boat. (Same town too, do I know you?) Came back from Yos in May and immediatly had plans for Touleme in Aug derailed with her comment "so you're going to take all your vacation to go climb without us".

My response didn't endear me to her, uhhh ya. My prayers nightly are about going to Touleme as you can imagine. Shes fine iwth me getting a pump on Tue and Thurs evenings at the local area, I think she prefers me slimmer than fatter.

so I went to the site you link with high hopes: it looked good, get weekly reminders to do something special for this kind of price:. #

Every three months - $20.00
(save a buck)
# Every six months - $35.00
(save $7 - get a month for free!)
# Or once a year - $75.00
(Save $9)

Now I'm thinking 2 things. 1st- I know a guy who did something special once a week for his wife. Didn't work for him. The divorce was finalized 4 years ago.

2nd- for that kind of money, my wife would rather have the money. I could pay her to kick me in the nuts every week by way of a reminder to do something special for her. She'd be happy with the extra money, and I'd get the reminder to do something special while keeping the funds in the houshold.

Hows my solution.

BTW: the site Dave mentions is http://www.mrthoughtful.com/ if you want to click it.

Me, I sticking with getting my nuts kicked weekly. After 25 years together, that sort of thing kind of gets habit forming anyway.

stonefoxgirl

Jul 13, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a Ms. Thoughtful???
I would be interested in following up with that site if it existed. Not that I can't do it on my own but it's so fun to get other peoples points of view to morph into your own. Just curious... :roll:

climb_in

Jul 13, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hoping to find something productive here, kind of disappointed by the OP. . .

billcoe made it worthwhile though, especially his final comment:

Me, I sticking with getting my nuts kicked weekly. After 25 years together, that sort of thing kind of gets habit forming anyway.

totally worth it.

- EV

clymber

Jul 13, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id say dump the wife and hook up with someone that climbs alot and then it will be a happy happy world...then again thats advice coming from someone thats single and cant seem to find a gf...

bluenose

Jul 13, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife is pretty good about this kind of stuff.

The only caveat is that she never wants to hear me bitch about the climb (used to be diving, same thing applied), never wants to hear of bad stuff that has happened to anyone else and really doesn't want to know what I spend on gear. All she wants to know is that I had fun and that I buy her jewellry or clothes every once in a while, she even picks it out.

With climbing and camping I can take the kids, even better with her. Hopefully this attitude won't wear off.

She will never climb and really doesn't like camping. So those activities are my department. Means I don't have to go shopping, except for groveries, I like my food.

She's all set to start taking "girl" vacations with friends...so that means I get to take "guy" vacations.

It just seems to be working out.

Nuts still intact and no divorce in the long range forecast.

flipnfall

Jul 13, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate spammers. That was so stupid. For a second I thought it was going to be a real post.

GT

musicman

Jul 13, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, that sounds like a pretty lame site, how do you think your wife would feel if she knew you were relying on someone else and spending money on them to remind you you wife's birthday??!! i mean, come on guys, i'm not married or anything (still in highschool, got a few years before i even think about marrying someone) you'd think you would be able to remember your wife's birthday, or valentines day, or something. this is just a stupid spam, so, in otherwords, might i give the standardized rc.com greeting!

stfu n00b

crimpandgo

Jul 13, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, that sounds like a pretty lame site, how do you think your wife would feel if she knew you were relying on someone else and spending money on them to remind you you wife's birthday??!! i mean, come on guys, i'm not married or anything (still in highschool, got a few years before i even think about marrying someone) you'd think you would be able to remember your wife's birthday, or valentines day, or something. this is just a stupid spam, so, in otherwords, might i give the standardized rc.com greeting!

stfu n00b

I would say the wifey would be flattered that you were reading a website attempting to do something that would be in her best interest. I would mention it to her. The act of bringing up the site will probably earn you some "quality time" points even before you act on anything you have read about :):)

cats86

Jul 13, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe Dave in Portland is the owner of mrthoughtful.com. . . but if ya'll want to test the effectivness of the aforementioned site, please feel free to use me as a test subject, I'll let ya know how I feel in a couple of months :wink:

spottyfish

Jul 13, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LAME

Thankfully my husband is intelligent enough to come up with his own ideas.........not to mention the fact that if I found out he was paying to get ideas and reminders from a website, I'd be pissed.

crimpandgo

Jul 13, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LAME

Thankfully my husband is intelligent enough to come up with his own ideas.........not to mention the fact that if I found out he was paying to get ideas and reminders from a website, I'd be pissed.

Wow, he must be a pretty intelligent guy then.... To come up with an original idea EVERYtime he does something nice for you :shock:

No wonder the rest of us have to work so hard to keep up
You better keep an eye on him, cause he must be a popular dude :):)

spottyfish

Jul 13, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
LAME

Wow, he must be a pretty intelligent guy then.... To come up with an original idea EVERYtime he does something nice for you :shock:

LOL....Most men are intelligent enough to come up with their own ideas and not have to pay someone to do it for them (not just my husband).

crimpandgo

Jul 13, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
LAME

LOL....Most men are intelligent enough to come up with their own ideas and not have to pay someone to do it for them (not just my husband).

Creativity is a good thing. I guess I am glad my wife doesn't mind me re-using ideas. She thinks they are ALL good as long as they have to do with HER :) I get extra browny points when the idea is original :):)

thegreytradster

Jul 16, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just told her that

"She knew the job was dangerous when she took it"

That was 35 years ago :wink:

Partner tattooed_climber

Jul 16, 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so, in otherwords, might i give the standardized rc.com greeting!

stfu n00b

dammit, i wanted to say that!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook