RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Partner amber

Jul 21, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Downgrading Routes & Gender Politics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was recently included in a conversation which raises some really good questions about how changes in difficulty ratings are being highlighted in accordance to gender - and while this correlation isn't intended to undermine that specific climber's accomplishments nor their gender, the correlation, itself, is there - and is worthy of discussion.

I've received permission from all respective parties to post their correspondence, and have posted everything in its entirety to provide, as Jeff so eloquently put it, "a better representation of [everyone's] views" and to "get beyond a mere defense of what [was] and become informative about philosophy."

All parties agree that it's an interesting discussion and would like to open the discussion up to a broader audience.

In reply to:
To the editors of Climbing mag,

In the last few issues, Climbing's editors have downgraded some of the hardest routes in the world in articles about a female climbing those routes. In your September 2005 issue, Dave Schmidt claims in a news piece on Josune Bereziartu's recent send of Bimbaluna (5.14d/5.15a) that: "Consensus among elite climbers is that Bain de Sain and Logical Progression (Dai Koyamada's 5.14d, repeated by Bereziartu Fall 2004) are likely 8c+ or even 8c."

Why then did you give Bereziartu the Golden Piton Award for repeating Bain de Sang in the March 2003 issue with the commentary that: "after five repeats (the most of any route given 5.14d) it is regarded as extremely solid for the grade?"

And why, in your April 2005 issue, do you qualify a report on Bereziartu's send of Logical Progression (5.14d), with the note: ". local sources tell us that after previous repeats the route has been downgraded to 8c+ (5.14c)."

How is it that in just a few months a "consensus" of "elite" climbers has suddenly downgraded both these routes from 5.14d to 5.14c to "even" 5.14b? Did this "consensus," include Fred Nicole, Iker Pou or Dave Graham - the people who repeated Bain de Sang? Did you actually speak with any "local" Japanese climbers who have repeated Logical Progression? Not likely since it seems that only Bereziartu and strongman Dai Koyamada have done it.

Why not include the names of the "elite" climbers who agreed to downgrade these routes? At least it would give you an inkling of credibility for publicly downgrading some of the hardest routes in the world done by a woman. Will you also downgrade Flex Luthor and Flat Mountain when a woman
climbs them?
Lizzy Scully

In reply to:
Lizzy -
The Logical Progression grade came from Vera and Topher, after their visit to Japan, and the Swiss routes from the best info we could gather.

The upper grades across the board are under constant revision, seem to be very body-specific, take a while to get enough ascents (5? 10 or more?) to really get "consensus," etc., etc. Tommy's route will probably be downrated if a European climbs it, regardless of gender.

Those upper numbers are only the vaguest indications of what's really going on. An ascent of Bain de Sang in 1993 was Golden Piton worthy regardless of that famous route's exact grade. Josune is one of the best sport climbers in the world. Sorry if you thought we implied otherwise.
- Jeff

In reply to:
Jeff, I discussed this issue with a half-dozen editors from various magazines, and all think it is a relevant question. In numerous comparable news pieces you do not qualify the ascents by male climbers, which is one of the main reasons I sent this letter to you, although you do in a few. Did Vera & Topher climb Logical Progression? I was not aware that either if them could climb 5.14d. How would they know what grade to give it?

By the way, Jeff, you don't have to apologize. It's not something I take personally. I'm simply pointing out a very non-egalitarian practice that I have noticed in your mag and that is prevalent in the outdoor industry. My job is to keep y'all on your toes. :)

Will you be publishing the letter? If not, I'll mail it to everyone I know and put it on a few chat rooms for discussion. I think the issue warrants a healthy discussion within the community. Perhaps I am completely and totally off base, but I would be interested in hearing the perspective of others, especially some of the women who have had routes downgraded after they've climbed them.
Lizzy

In reply to:
She Sends Chief Editor, in response to Achey's note"]
Interesting.

Hmm...is "very body-specific" code for - she can do it cuz she's got small fingers?

Have Vera and Topher climbed the route?

OK, so if the routes are constantly under revision why is the point highlighted not just once but TWICE when it's a female climber doing the routes? Why didn't the mention this when a guy repeated them (in some cases I recognize there hasn't been) or if Vera and Topher's opinion is
newsworthy, when they first made their observation. Maybe the point isn't that the routes are being downgraded, but the placement of that information - next to a news brief about a female climbers repeats.

In reply to:
Man, it's a minefield out there! When I said body specific I was thinking about Dai Koyamada's mono boulder problems vs Fred Rouhling, and JP Finne's quick success on Get Shorty at Rifle. Not a gender issue!!

Vera of course did not climb Logical Progression, but rather gave us the "word on the street." I don't know if she had an anti-female agenda. She did write that rant about women speed climbing ...

But anyway, yes, I'll run the letter, and I agree that it's a great topic of discussion. Yours and my favorite, right?!

Other food for thought, re sexism (you can send this to your fellow female editor also): why didn't we report on the FA of this "5.15" route near Bain de Sang, but then make a big deal (downratings notwithstanding) about Josune's mere repeat? Why did we report Josune's repeat of Logical Progression, but not the two previous Japanese repeats? Maybe we're anti-Asian?

In reply to:
Jeff, I'm the other "female editor," and I appreciate your feedback - it definitely helps clarify some of my questions from my first e-mail. I suppose I can understand that you feel a man under attack, but you shouldn't. I think Lizzy has simply raised some good questions, and I
think it's good idea to address those questions. I'm curious as to whether or not other people perceive the same differences in reporting of if it's just us?

In reply to:
Man, it's a minefield out there! When I said body specific I was thinking about Dai Koyamada's mono boulder problems vs Fred Rouhling, and JP Finne's quick success on Get Shorty at Rifle. Not a gender issue!!

Well, of course it's a minefield. :) When we're already talking about gender issues, one can't help but make a connection between "body-specific" and women's small fingers or say, flexibility because it's a sentiment that echoes off many crags and gyms walls already. I'm glad Jeff clarified, though.

In reply to:
why didn't we report on the FA of this "5.15" route near Bain de Sang, but then make a big deal (downratings notwithstanding) about Josune's mere repeat? Why did we report Josune's repeat of Logical Progression, but not the two previous Japanese repeats? Maybe we're anti-Asian?

I think this is kind of re-directing the focus of the discussion to be honest. I don't think Climbing mag is anti-woman any more than it's anti-Asian. I just think the subtle difference in text attached to the news reports like the one about Josune merits discussion. No one is screaming YOU'RE ANTI-WOMAN at all - I think Lizzy's letter merely asks some worthy questions that might stimulate an important discussion.

[whoops! the last bit of kasey's reply got dropped when i originally posted, so i edited to re-add it]

thomasribiere

Jul 22, 2005, 7:05 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Re: Downgrading Routes & Gender Politics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started limbing in the mid-90's, downgrading a route after a woman climbed it wa something common. I've noticed this trend less often in the past years, and was surprised when Bain de Sang was downgraded, as I have always been surprised by the strength of Josune - she has almost climbed more difficult routes than any other people, including men, in different types of sport climbs.

But is the downgrading related to her ascent, to the more recent realisations by men, or by the number of different repeaters - men and woman? I would say that this route is still new, its grade was in balance, and only the repeats can definitely decide of the grade. We all know too, at our own level, that a 5.10b can sound like a 5.10a or a 5.10c to someone else, not used to the type of rock or to the style of climb.

So, should you, women, be offended by this potential downgrading? I think you shouldn't. A 9a or a 8c+, is it that different (the symbol is important, but the dificulty is almost the same). Josune is still a great climber and does a lot for the image of girls in the euro sport climbing community.

thomas

caughtinside

Jul 22, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it looks like there's info that isn't mentioned in the articles. For instance, those climbing mags print up the FAs of the hard lines, then mention which 'big names' repeat them (usually in hot flashes or something) and if women climb them.

Now, if there's time gaps in between these events, and there's other ascents that aren't reported on, folks besides the locals don't know what's going on. If there is talk of downrating before the female climber ticks it, it doesn't seem like there's anything fishy going on. But of course, they never ask her perspective on the downrating talk, or if she'd heard about it before she started working it.

I definitely agree that the info is thin on who or how the downrating happens, but the truth is I don't want to read half an article about it. But, I am admittedly not that sensitive to the issue. I guess it would be nice to attach some names though.

What are some hard female ascents that have not been downrated? I ask because I am curious as to how prevalent the practice is.

Further, maybe it's possible to go back and ask the 'big name' climbers who sent the route what they thought it was? Although, this does put people on the spot, and I always think of routes being easier than they really are after I've sent them (this happen to anyone else?).

But I heartily agree that downrating a climb just because a woman sends it, or downrating it when you hear a woman is starting to work it is tremendously weak.

jt512

Jul 22, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(usually in hot flashes or something)

Just another example of a derogatory female reference in a climbing magazine.

-Jay

iamthewallress

Jul 23, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
(usually in hot flashes or something)

Just another example of a derogatory female reference in a climbing magazine.

-Jay

:lol:

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook