RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xclimber

Nov 9, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Tikka XP vs BD Spot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have experience with these headlamps? How do they compare?
Thanks,
Jerry

andrewj

Nov 10, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tikka XP vs BD Spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Tikka XP and I love it, the BD spot looks ok, but it's using 3 smaller LEDs for the area lighting, whereas the XP uses the main (only) LED. I find the Tikka XP more versatile than that type of light in general...just my biased opinion.

oldmanwinter

Nov 10, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My opinion after using both:

BD Spot all the way.
Better functionality, quality, and cool factor.

memory_hole

Nov 10, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're both good headlamps, but when I side-by-sided them I noticed that the XP has a better reflector, which translates to a higher quality spot with better throw. Not a huge difference, and probably not a big enough one to base a purchase on, but there it is.

jsj42

Nov 14, 2005, 7:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got both and have been comparing them and this is what I've found:

The Spot is definitely brighter. It has a brighter hotspot in the center, as well as a brighter/wider peripheral throw of light. When you press the "burst" function on the Tikka, the light is comparable, and perhaps *slightly* brighter.

The Tikka's light is more white, where as the Spot has a slight bluish hue. The Tikka's light is also more focussed (less peripheral spread), which I don't think is a good thing: both cast a beam, but the Spot also illuminates the stuff around what you happen to be pointing it at. Interestingly, the light from the Tikka also falls in a strange square shape, instead of a circular pattern.

The Tikka is more intuitive to use: Press the button once for the brightest setting, then rapidly to cycle through the other settings. If you leave the button alone for awhile, when you press it again it will turn off. I also like that you can press the burst button when the Tikka is off and it will shine light only while you are holding it down.

With the Spot, you press the button once to turn it on in one mode (either the main bulb or the smaller bulbs), then again to turn it off, then again to turn it on in the other mode. This means that you could have to press the button up to three times to get the light you want (main bulb or smaller bulbs): annoying. Cycling through brightness settings is accomplished by pressing the button in half-way - this works well.

The size and weights are very comparable - surprising since the Spot has three extra bulbs in it: You'd think the Tikka would be lighter but it might actually feel heavier in your hands. For some reason though the Spot feels heavier on your head - I think this is because of the shape of the headlamp itself and the center of gravity (it sits further away from your head). This is not just a weight issue, but a stability issue. The Tikka feels more stable on my head: not a big deal for most uses, but if you're running or jogging down a bumpy trail, the Spot may jiggle a bit whereas the Tikka feels solid.

The Spot is a more aesthetic, cleaner looking package, that's for sure. But the plastic doesn't feel as durable as the plastic on the Tikka. Also, it would be easy to break or scratch the lens on the Spot, whereas the Tikka's is recessed. Lastly, the hinge on the Spot is not nearly as burly as the hinge on the Tikka.

I wish the Tikka was sleeker and better looking, and that it didn't have that unnecessary led battery strength indicator, and frankly, the slide-over diffuser seems unnecessary to me as well. Just use it's dimmest setting if you're reading. This would make it lighter and cleaner.

If the Spot didn't have the extra three "lower light" leds (which are not a significant enough of a difference to make the extra button-pushing and extra weight worthwhile), and if it had a better feel on my head (ie closer center of gravity, stronger hinge), it would be perfect.

I can't comment on battery life/performance as the charge diminishes.

All things considered, right now I'm leaning towards the Tikka, in spite of it not being as bright, because of the stable, comfortable feel of it on my head and the ease of use. That said, I was going to sell my Spot on ebay, but if anyone is interested in buying it drop me a message and I'll sell it - it's pretty much brand new and has never been taken outside.

oldmanwinter

Nov 16, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The spot can also be removed from the strap and added to another strap, say on a backpack or hat...thing. Wich is kinda neat. I guess you could add it to your ski goggles on the side, vertically, then point it forward, if you had one on ether side you'd have headlights! This would be helpfull on ealy morning ski tours...uuuoooyyaaa, skiing......Uh, I mean climbing.

Partner xclimber

Nov 16, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at both on the shelf, which is obviously less than an ideal way to compare, but a couple of valid observations emerged: The buttons on the Tikka XP are smaller, and, I assume, more difficult to manipulate with a gloved hand. 2) The tilt adjustment on the Spot feels less "positive", and, I suspect, less durable. I bought the

Partner xclimber

Nov 16, 2005, 1:25 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at both on the shelf, which is obviously less than an ideal way to compare, but a couple of valid observations emerged:

1) The buttons on the Tikka XP are smaller, and, I assume, more difficult to manipulate with a gloved hand.

2) The tilt adjustment on the Spot feels less "positive", and, I suspect, less durable.

I bought the Spot... I guess I'm a sucker for a pretty face. If the tilt gives out before it's time, I'll let BD make it right. They're really good about that sort of thing, and they return ship in used boxes from a variety of sources (very cool, and very conscionable).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook