Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

attitude0521

Nov 16, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Hair situation!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok... I know... this is a very stupid question but I have no other girl climber to ask so I have to post the question here.. if you think it is stupid and waste of your time.. I am sorry... but if you have solutions to my question please help me to clear my concern...

My biggest concern and fear of camping more than one night is not being able to shave... I am OK not to take shower for few days but not bing able to shave for more than one day really bothers me (underarms only.. everything else I am OK not able to shave)...is there any solution other than the permanent hair removal thing...

Partner macherry

Nov 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #2 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hair situation!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wax

Partner missedyno

Nov 17, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #3 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wear sleeves so no one sees it?

honestly, i used to freak about a few days pit hair growth, but stand away from the mirror, raise your arm up, and have a look. unless people are right in your armpit, the stubble that appears after a few days is barely noticeable. it almost looks like a shadow.

and besides, if you're cool with not shaving other areas, at least you'll match!

sleeves.

attitude0521

Nov 17, 2005, 1:49 AM
Post #4 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not too too worry about people seeing my underarm hair... it is more the uncomfortableness that really bothering me...I guess I just need to try to get used to it...

elshells

Nov 17, 2005, 3:32 AM
Post #5 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It itches me like mad too, but I do get used to it.

Maybe if you had a small electric razor that you could use with out water that would work.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 17, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #6 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you actually been camping more than one night yet? My guess is not....You'll probably find that it is a non-problem once you do.

Before I had been camping, I was concerned that I would feel oily and gross because I couldn't wash my hair/ steam myself awake in a shower and use my regular facial cleansing routine.

I was lucky, because my first trip was to Seneca - home of the hot water shower campground.... But, my next one was JTree - home of the "we're in the desert, and you campers had better BYO water" campground. The air was dry, and the concern of feeling icky was a non-issue.

Then, I camped out in the wilderness in Georgia. Took descent trails down a muddy mountainside each day to climb, spent the day cleaning rockface for FA's, and had to crawl back up the mudpile to get back to camp. It didn't bother me a bit.

I thnk a lot of the worry is all in our minds......

kimmyt

Nov 17, 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #7 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate shaving. Yeah, I do it, but only once in a while out of respect for other people's feelings. I have no problem wearing a sleeveless shirt with a bit of underarm hair. Granted, it's not like long enough to braid or anything, but I've gotten so used to having about a quarter inch or less down there that I've never noticed an itching thing. In fact, mostly I feel naked when I do shave.

But I guess if the shaving thing really bugs you, just bring a razor along, some lotion and use that. It works, just put lotion on, shave as though it were shaving cream. You'll just need to clean your blade off carefully after each swipe and make sure that you don't nick yourself.

K.

ecocliffchick

Nov 17, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #8 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just dry shave with a sharp razor. Make sure to hold the skin tight so you don't nik yourself.

clausti

Nov 17, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #9 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

washcloth + any kinda soap + sharp razor= easy to shave.

just pretend like you're late to class in the morning and you look down and realize that SHIT you forgot to shave and its 85 degrees outside, so, no, you're not gonna wear sleeves.

what do you do? no time ot get back in the shower. you grab a washcloth, run it under the sink facet for a second, rub it on your soap, wet the armpit, and shave that shit off.

HINT: only wet one half of the washcloth. the other side, you use to quickly sop up whatever little water runs down after you take a swipe.

if its too cold to be doing this, its too cold to worry about your armpit hair, as you'll be wearing a longsleeve shirt.

Partner macherry

Nov 17, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #10 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not too too worry about people seeing my underarm hair... it is more the uncomfortableness that really bothering me...I guess I just need to try to get used to it...

interesting, i find my underarms more uncomfortable if i do shave.......they get itchy and dry.

if you're out camping/climbing, you'll have other things to preoccupy your mind than your underarms.

htotsu

Nov 17, 2005, 4:23 PM
Post #11 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's only 12 bucks for an underarm wax where I am. I won't go so far as to say "it's the best 12 bucks I ever spent" but it's damn close. You don't have to even THINK about shaving for at least a week, so it's a great option if A) you won't be able to shave easily for some reason, or B) you want no stubble for daaaaaays.

DO IT.

The only problem for you may be that you can't shave for a little while before you get the waxing done (you can't wax stubble - not long enough!) but trust me, it's worth it.

snoangel

Nov 17, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #12 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you said you weren't interested in hearing about permanent hair removal, but I must say I got laser hair removal for my pits and bikini line and absolutely LOVE it!! It's so nice to be able to roll out of bed, throw on a bikini and hit the beach...no hair or razor burn to worry about. :D

clausti

Nov 17, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #13 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know you said you weren't interested in hearing about permanent hair removal, but I must say I got laser hair removal for my pits and bikini line and absolutely LOVE it!! It's so nice to be able to roll out of bed, throw on a bikini and hit the beach...no hair or razor burn to worry about. :D

how much is that stuff anyways.

attitude0521

Nov 17, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #14 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks ladies for all the input... I learned alot from all this information....

well.. about the permanent hair removal, I would want to do that for sure if I can afford it......

granite_grrl

Nov 17, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #15 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just dry shave with a sharp razor. Make sure to hold the skin tight so you don't nik yourself.

I do this most of the time. I do find the pits are a little more sensitive after, but its not that big a deal.

Its funny to see my boyfriend squirm when I do it though :P

snoangel

Nov 17, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #16 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The place I went to offers a one year guarantee so you have unlimited sessions for the entire year. The prices vary based on body part, but I think it was about $300-$500 per part. :shock: I know that sounds like a lot, but if you think of the cost of waxing, razors and the time you save I thought it was worth it. Plus, my place financed it free for 12 months. :D

Biggest downside...hurts like a bitch!! :shock: :shock:

angelaa

Nov 17, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #17 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah . . . fill us in !!
I'd love to know more about it !

htotsu

Nov 18, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #18 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The place I went to offers a one year guarantee so you have unlimited sessions for the entire year.
So how many sessions did you need per body part?
In reply to:
Biggest downside...hurts like a b----!! :shock: :shock:
Compare this to something - like being burned by your iron? Like spilling boiling water on your bare foot? Like lighting yourself on fire? Help us out. Please tell us more about the process. Thanks :)

snoangel

Nov 18, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #19 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The place I went to offers a one year guarantee so you have unlimited sessions for the entire year.
So how many sessions did you need per body part?

It takes approximately 6 sessions for total hair removal. The best results are on light skin, dark hair. I have fairly light skin, but my hair can be thin and light in spots. Those are the areas that take the most sessions. One thing to note...there is a chance for regrowth due to dormant hair folicles which decide to come alive and start producing hair after the treatments. I've had like three strays pop up since I had it done over 3 years ago. They are thin and light so I just pluck them every so often.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Biggest downside...hurts like a b----!! :shock: :shock:
Compare this to something - like being burned by your iron? Like spilling boiling water on your bare foot? Like lighting yourself on fire? Help us out. Please tell us more about the process. Thanks :)

The best way to describe the pain is if you had each individual hair plucked out with a burning hot needle. :shock: The good news is there is numbing cream...which I highly recommend. I made the mistake of having my first session without the cream, hence the feeling of the hot needle. After that, I slathered on the cream and sat back not feeling a thing. 8^) (Of course, it is rather strange to have your nether regions be numb. :oops: ) If you have a high pain tolerance, which I do not, you may not even need the numbing cream. If you are a big wuss like I am, definitely go for the cream.

The process in general is this...
That morning shave the desired area. Approx. 1 hour before treatment, apply numbing cream and cover area with plastic wrap (don't question it, it works). At the actual treatment, they apply a cold gel (like if you were getting an ultrasound) and run the laser over the area. They do it in small increments and immediately ice the area if you feel pain. All in all it's tolerable, but uncomfortable. And it really helped me to use controlled breathing. Treatments can last from 15 min to 1 hour.

I think that's about it. Any other questions...ask away. I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Rita :)

htotsu

Nov 19, 2005, 3:31 AM
Post #20 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, the things you learn on RC.com!

Well, I have dark skin/dark hair, so this may not be for me, but I'm sure someone will benefit from this thorough description. Thanks snoangel. :D

attitude0521

Nov 19, 2005, 5:43 AM
Post #21 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds good.. but $500 per part.... I got to make more money so I can buy more climbing gears and get my hair remove!!!

wolfemom

Nov 19, 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #22 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just take a little travel can of shaving cream and a razor. You can get those small cans at Target. Shave your pits like you normally would and then wipe any extra shaving cream off with a wet wipe or a washcloth.

Partner missedyno

Nov 19, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #23 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know i seriously considered laser hair removal before my roadtrip... but that was when i wasn't going to go until march... so i had some more time, more paycheques. now i'm leaving in a month and don't have the money to spare!

oh well. i bought one of those epilator things, i know it's totally old school, but it does just as good a job as waxing (rippy rippy) and doesn't cost anything, now that i've bought it.

acacongua

Nov 21, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #24 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, you should get over that no-shaving for a day ordeal if you're going to be an outside girl. I'm learning that it's OK to climb with hair stubble in my pits. I'm still dead sexy (LOL).

Second, if you must shave on the fly, do what I learned from Cosmo: shave with a lotion (body, face, hand, whatever). No red bumps and soft skin.

slockwoo_knits

Nov 22, 2005, 6:42 AM
Post #25 of 36 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Recently I was in chemo (seriously) and the only good part was that when I went on multi day climbing / camping trips I didn't need to bring a razor. It was awesome. I don't recommend chemo though... there were many down sides (ie. cancer, bald head, fatigue, no eyebrows to prevent sweat from dripping in eyes, no eyelashes, pain, blah blah blah)...

The chemo worked and I'm better now... and I have to shave my legs every freaking day. I am more comfortable going without shaving my pits than I am without shaving my legs. Again, it doesn't have to do with looks but it has to do with the way my skin feels with stuble. Fortunately, most of my trips are to Seneca... where as someone else mentioned there are nice HOT showers.

As far as waxing goes, I've tried having my legs waxed and it was painful. I get my bikini waxed (brazilian) and it doesn't hurt nearly as much as full legs. I've never had my pits waxed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook