RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

cruxmonger

Jan 19, 2006, 9:57 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Buying a new camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about picking up a camera tonight. I have it narrowed down to the Olympus SP-500 UZ or the Fujifilm FinePix S5200.

The Olympus is 6.0 megapixel, 10x optical/5x digital zoom for $341.00. The Fuji is 5.1 megapixel, 10x optical/5.7x digital zoom for $314.00. I will probably purchase a 512 MB memory card since the camera's only come with 10 MB and 16 MB respectively.

Does anyone have any input on which is a better buy? Or should I be looking at something different completely? I'm looking to spend under $400.00.

Thanks for the input.

bobruef

Jan 19, 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buying a new camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i highly reccomend nikon

karlbaba

Jan 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Better to tell us what you want to use the camera for. Those long zooms make for heavy cameras and it's hard to hand hold a 10x zoom anyway. If it's for long climbs you might be better off with a 7 megapixel Olympus 7000 that's got 5x zoom and super light.

http://dealcam.com/...es/cameras/2099.html

Wide angle is often very useful for climbing shots, canon is good at this

http://dealcam.com/...es/cameras/1940.html

if 5 megapixels is OK

http://dealcam.com/...es/cameras/2250.html

if you want 8

Just some ideas

Peace

Karl

wearyourtruth

Feb 18, 2006, 7:03 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are down to between the two, i'll just say i've had a great time with olympus products (no experience with fuji)

chodeman

Feb 18, 2006, 7:54 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a fuji s7000 for sale right now for exactly $400. Included in that price is a shit ton of accessories. If your interested pm me or email me. Its in really good condition, i just upgraded to a pro system so i no longer have a need for it but it was a great beginner camera.

thetroutscout

Feb 18, 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends what you intend to use it for so... go with features you need. I personally like a canon. The new Elphs are pretty cool. The only downside is optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless on any camera so the optical zoom is what you want. Battery life and picture sharpness are also what I look for. With my Canon G3 I can fill up a 512mb card using the LCD all on one charge. My G3 is big and a pain to haul climbing but my brother's Canon powershot a70 is significantly smaller. Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for amazing camera reviews. My feeling would be if you're buying a camera that big, with that many features you might as well save up some more and buy a full digital SLR. Then you have all the lens options you'd ever need. At the time my G3 was a good option because digital SLRs were not consumer friendly. Now those "middle ground" camera don't have as much of a place with options like the Digital Rebel, Nikon D50, Pentax *ist DS and Olympus E-300 being affordable. Don't buy features you don't need or will never use and if you need all the features of those two cameras you mentioned, chances are you'll need more later. Again it all depends... but between the two go with the Olympus.

^^ike

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook