Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
what time of day do you typically shoot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

hillbillywannabe

Mar 17, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

what time of day do you typically shoot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what pictures turn out the best? the ones from early or late in the day, or the ones from mid day? or is it the ones from over cast days?

ericg

Mar 17, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Re: what time of day do you typically shoot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overcast days are good for flat pictures with no shadows, sunrise and sunset pictures are good for bringing out the yellows and reds. Often times there are brief moments during sunsets or sunrises when you get more yellows or reds. It all depends on what you are trying to show in your pictures and what you want the viewer to notice.

wes_allen

Mar 17, 2006, 4:12 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All day. I try to climb as well as take photos most of the time, so I just shoot between routes or problems. There is nothing quite like late afternoon sunlight though, if you can get that on a route/problem then, I would think that would be ideal - just watch for the shadows. Mid-day in the sun is the toughest, I think.

hillbillywannabe

Mar 17, 2006, 4:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i try and shoot between climbs, but usually i have to belay my father. so that leaves my father to belay my brother so guess who gets their picture taken? yeap the same person all the time... mostly mid day and shade occasionally late afternoon/ evening . =/
i find it hard to get out of climbing mode and into photo mode, or visa versa

grayhghost

Mar 17, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Morning and evening are the rules of thumb. Morning light is a bit harsher than evening light but still allows for long shadows and a lot of contrast. Evening produces more orange light while morning produces yellow light.
http://grayhghost.zoto.com/...097de77e1515f0f-.jpg

pico23

Mar 19, 2006, 4:58 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for people shots overcast days are good. that golden hour is good for scenics but the glow on people is sort of unflattering unless in the right context.

also overcast days are good for macro (mushrooms, insects, flowers, whatever). you just need some fill light such as a reflector and flash.

noon is best avoided the sun is contrasty and creates shadows. plus, the light is very cold and unflattering. it can be improved with filtration but it will never have the look of early or late day shots.

if your just shooting for catalog a climb or for the scrap book shoot all day. if your looking for something to frame or sell then be more selective.

pico23

Mar 19, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Morning and evening are the rules of thumb. Morning light is a bit harsher than evening light but still allows for long shadows and a lot of contrast. Evening produces more orange light while morning produces yellow light.

i always found i liked evening better than morning. the morning light for some reason gets harsh fast (of course this is probably only perceived).

I always thought evening seemed warmer (more orange and red). your post seemed to confirm that.

deepplaymedia

Mar 19, 2006, 5:45 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends so much on what you're trying to achieve with the pic, and also the particular climb (i was shooting a cool flake a few weeks ago but couldnt get the morning light i wanted because my shadow would have been in the way etc)
ive got good shots all times of the day except midday in the summer

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook